[comp.sys.atari.st] Dead mice

rjung@sal6.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/22/88)

In article <3171@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>oh BY THE WAY, my mouse died, and after fruitless attempts to revive it
>i took it into a local atari dealer. that was a month ago. went in there
>yesterday and the dealer presents it to me with a replacement charge of
>$45!!!!
>to understate the case, i was not amused. the chap at the store said he'd
>seen a lot of dead mice showing up lately, and that he didn't make a cent
>off of getting them replaced. atari bills him $X, he bills me $X (+ tax).

  You too? My mouse keeled over last night (well, it works, it just won't go
to the right)...I'm going to hunt for replacements today. I sure hope it
doesn't take a month to replace (I love my point-n-click)...

  $45?!?!?...

  Anybody from Atari care to comment?

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. On the other hand, there is a lot of electronic doodads in the mouse
(including a chip, of all things)...Maybe the cost is justified(?)...
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

StMac@cup.portal.com (03/23/88)

re: a reliable replacement for mice....

I use a trackball - not hard to do...just get a joystick extension cable from
your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack ( make sure it has all 9 wires ) and
a DB-9 connector.....a little time with a soldering iron and BINGO!....
only takes up about a 3x3 or 4x4 square on the ol' desktop.

sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Stephen_Macuch (StMac)

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (03/25/88)

First of all, you might consider fixing your mouse.  Someone dropped one
of ours and it was fairly sick.  Would go down fine but up sort of.
Having nothing to loose, I took it apart.  It worked fine with the cover
off.  Why?  Because the opto-interruptor was out of alignment and outside
light supplied a light source at an angle so it would work.  So, you just
put it in a dark room and tweak the screw that positions it until it works.
I did and it did.  Then it got dropped again.  The final solution:
buy a MouseBall from E A Brown.  $39 and it doesn't move.  Therefore it takes
less space and doesn't fall on the floor.
--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (03/26/88)

In article <536@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@sal6.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>   You too? My mouse keeled over last night (well, it works, it just won't go
> to the right)...I'm going to hunt for replacements today. I sure hope it
> doesn't take a month to replace (I love my point-n-click)...

	At one time I was having trouble with my mouse not wanting to roll
in a particular direction (I forget which one).  I found that the little wheels
the ball rolls around on were wo caked with crud that it would not turn them.
After removing the ball, I simply very carefully used a sharp pointed knife to
scrape the line of stuff off.  after that it worked fine.  I don't know if this
is your problem but it sounds like a good place to start.

					--  Johnnie  --

sethk@sco.COM (Seth Katz) (03/26/88)

chatterchatterchatter<4052@cup.portal.com>chatterchatterStMac@cup.portal.com:
| re: a reliable replacement for mice....
|
| I use a trackball - not hard to do...just get a joystick extension cable from
| your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack ( make sure it has all 9 wires ) and
| a DB-9 connector.....a little time with a soldering iron and BINGO!....
| only takes up about a 3x3 or 4x4 square on the ol' desktop.
|
| sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Stephen_Macuch (StMac)

[][][][][][][][][][][]
I went to Radio Shack last night and had a look at the materials
described above. All you are describing is a 9-pin connector and
a joystick extension cable. These items will not do the trick.
Some wires have to be crossed. I would appreciate a list of how
to wire this.
BTW, this is not an easy soldering job, cadets.
-s

--
microsof
uunet         \____sco!sethk        I can make up my own opinions now.

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (04/21/88)

You might also try opening the ST up and pushing down on the socketed chips
on the mother board.  I had my mouse and keyboard lock up and this fixed the
problem.

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL   or ...         |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
GEnie: J.JOUBERT                     |     \/       \/