		pchris@sim.berkeley.edu
From INFO-A16%MARIST.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu Wed Apr 20 19:43:35 1988
Date:         Wed, 20 Apr 88 10:17:44 PDT
Sender: INFO-ATARI16 Discussion <INFO-A16%MARIST.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was
              Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@score.stanford.edu>
Subject:      Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #198
To: chris h perleberg <pchris@sim>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, April 20, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 198

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         Re: Setcolor() crash
                         Re: Laser C question
                         1stWordPlus Question
                          TurboDOS legality
                   Re: Adaptec 4000/4070 controller
                 Re: About Atari's, Mac's, and IBM's
                                SH205
                     Re: LaTeX ST: does it exist?
                     Re: The DANGERS of TURBO-DOS
                                Bombs
                         Re: TURTLE questions
                          Re: AtariDOS live!
                 Re: Underscore crash bug (was: ...)

Date: 18 Apr 88 18:32:39 GMT
From: pasteur!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c162-br@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Warner Young)
Subject: Re: Setcolor() crash
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    One time as I was writing a program, I happened to have a bit of
code that was something like:
    i = ~Setcolor(0, -1);
    Setcolor(0, i);

The astute readers will have already noticed that I forgot to mask 'i'
with 0x777 first.  Well, I found out what happens if you try to do
a Setcolor() with a value over 0x777.  The ST crashes, gives you a blank
screen with bombs all the way across, and reset only gives you the same
screen.

    Now, I'm wondering why this is.  It seems to me that it wouldn't
have been very hard to add a little bit of checking in the Xbios routine
to set colors.  And even if no checking is done, why would the ST crash
so badly?  Does anyone happen to know what causes this problem?  (Yes,
I know I should just mask with 0x777, but I'm curious.)

\        /arner    - Writer of the dreaded Safety Seal Reviews
 \  /   /    - Owner of the vaporware group Safety Seal Software
  \/ \_/oung

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 15:20:02 GMT
From: killer!pollux!megamax!michel@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Michel Rynderman)
Subject: Re: Laser C question
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Remember that Tool Locate... changes the environment variables. Do a Tool Locate
Then look at the environment vars. Make sure they all go to C: instead of A:
Then do a Save Configuration.

Michel@megamax
--
Anyone who would like a reply to their mail sent to me needs to give a
uucp path. The mailer on our system is weird. Either that or give me a

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 19:22:40 GMT
From: csclea!wolf@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  (Thomas Wolf)
Subject: 1stWordPlus Question
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

A friend of mine who doesn't have access to usenet has the following
questions:

    1.  Are there any HP-Laserjet Printer Drivers available for
        1stWord Plus?
        I understand that 1stWord Plus is pretty popular in
        Europe, and the person for whom I'm trying to obtain
            this information hopes that he will have better luck
            there than he's been having over here.
        If you know of such beasts, could you let me know HOW
        he might get his hands on them?

    2.  Are there any Regression Packages (Statistics) available
        for the ST?  If no English-language ones exist, German
        programs would be ok too.  Could you e-mail me an address
           of a mail-order place or software-publisher that sells
        this package?  Again, I would forward the address to my
        friend.

Thanks in advance for any information regarding these questions.

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 23:29:19 GMT
From: sunybcs!leo@boulder.colorado.edu  (Leo Wilson)
Subject: TurboDOS legality
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Well, a couple days ago I uploaded TurboDOS to GENIE and got a letter from
all the ST sysops saying that is is NOT PD in the US as yet. Something about
Atari US paying the company that developed it some licensing fee before it
could be PD in the states. One of the sysops on GENIE is Alan Pratt of Atari,
so I have to take this as being The Inside Poop, and I will delete my copy
of it as soon as this message is done. I guess I need the memory, anyway.
Just thought all the other enthusiastic users out there would want to know,
especially the people at this or that server...
===
Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue  Buffalo, NY 14213  (716)883-7573
(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 15:32:41 GMT
From: tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!dclemans@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dave Clemans)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 4000/4070 controller
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The Supra & ICD drivers both handle RLL disks fine.

The higher bit-rate from a RLL disk only affects the ST-506 -> Adaptec 4070
path, NOT the Adaptec 4070 -> AHDI path; that transfer rate remains the same.
Remember that the Adaptec does local sector buffering.

Regardless all the AHDI adaptors I've seen should be able to handle the full
bandwidth of the ST DMA bus (10 megabits).

dgc

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 21:56:51 GMT
From: pepper!cmcmanis@sun.com  (Chuck McManis)
Subject: Re: About Atari's, Mac's, and IBM's
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <226500010@trsvax> johnm@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>>How upgradable is it?
>Be more specific...
>
>You can add a variety of memory boards, battery supported clocks, hard disks,
>video and audio digitizers, and all of the usual stuff.  Then there are the
>more esoteric items like the accelorator board (not yet release) which will
>increase the speed of ALL programs 45 to 85% or the liquid crystal 3d glasses.

John, you could stand to be a bit more specific yourself. The 520 and 1040 ST
series can be upgraded through hardware kludges much like the early Macs could
be upgraded, neither have slots. The Mega doesn't have slots either but does
have an expansion connector similar to that of the Amiga 1000 and Amiga 500.
Second, be very VERY careful about making claims like "increase the speed of
ALL programs 45 to 85%" because you know not what you speak. Even if you
replace the CPU with a 68020 running at 16Mhz with 32 bit RAM you may not
see your programs get much faster, why? Because the speed of a program is
determined by the *system* speed, and not just the CPU clock. You will be
lucky if your programs speed up 5 to 50%. If you want real fast programs
redesign the *system*.

>>Can it use a Paged Memory Managment Unit?
>You mean like swapping memory out to disk?  No, there is no micro with that
>facility that I know of.

Another two points, one I don't think he meant "can it swap" I believe he
meant can it use a PMMU? And the answer is no, the Atart ST series cannot
use a PMMU. Both the Mac II and any 80386 system can use a PMMU and in the
case of the '386 have one built in. If one is looking for a paged MMU then
one would be better off looking at 32 bit machines.

--Chuck McManis

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 88 00:14:51 GMT
From: ecsvax!rgn@mcnc.org  (Robert Norris)
Subject: SH205
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

How is the SH205 different from the SH204?

    Thanks,
    Rob
--
Rob Norris
Dept. of Math Sciences       UUCP:      ...!mcnc!ecsvax!rgn

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 88 03:19:46 GMT
From: lakesys!mark@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Mark Storin)
Subject: Re: LaTeX ST: does it exist?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

    I too would like to know of the availibility of LaTeX for the ST.

--
Mark A. Storin
Lake Systems, Milw., WI

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 20:14:01 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpg!tainter@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Tainter)
Subject: Re: The DANGERS of TURBO-DOS
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <756@sun.mcs.clarkson.edu>, mrd@sun.mcs.clarkson.edu (Michael R.
 DeCorte) writes:
>>This wouldn't be a problem on a hard-disk (inkling of ignorance showing
>>through) would it?

>OH YES IT WOULD!  How about when shutting down the system? Do you happen to
>have an equivalent of /etc/shotdown on your atari? Please recall what such a
>beast does! >        sync; sync; sync;

Actually, what Thomas posted is correct.  The FAT corruption from failing to
handle media change is not a problem on hard disks (no media change events!).

On the otherhand, the sync problem Michael is talking about (and Allan was
talking about) is a delayed write problem of another colour.
Yes, if you do delayed write cacheing you are subject to loss on freezeup and
power down, or media change.

Note:  UNIX has the same problems if you pull the cord or otherwise
power down in an uncatchable manner. Ever wonder why AT&T machines don't
really turn off when you turn the switch off?  That's right sync time.

--j.a.tainter

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 16:07:21 GMT
From: nunki.usc.edu!rjung@oberon.usc.edu  (Robert Jung)
Subject: Bombs
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  Hi, folks, back again (tho I fear not for long)...

  Just a simple request: Does anyone have a list of the ST's error code
numbers (bombs) and their corresponding message? I just realized that I
don't have such a listing anywhere, and it would be nice to have one for the
old archives.

  If you have such a bomb list, e-mail it to me and I'll be very appreciative
(Interest-free loans are out of the question, however  B-).

                        --R.J.
                        B-)

Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 88 14:10:21 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!ttidca!woodside@decwrl.dec.com  (George Woodside)
Subject: Re: TURTLE questions
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <11830005@hpldola.HP.COM> jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>I would really like to thank George Woodside for
>a very useful and useable backup program, TURTLE.
>
>I do have questions that the manual didn't answer
>(at least I didn't see the answers, but I may simply
>have read over them).
>
>    1) What is the fastest / easiest way to restore
>       a hard-disk from a TURTLE backup?

First, you're welcome.

No, you didn't miss the restore documentation in the manual, since there
isn't any :^(

I have some ideas about doing this efficiently, but no time to implement them.
I do have a couple of tools being tested by my long-suffering friends (thanks
to Ken Adam, specifically) which I'll be posting here soon. There are nothing
wonderful, just copy utilities which will move floppy images into the TURTLE
RAMdisks, and a copy utility program which can create directories, copy
entire directories with recursive descent, allow files to be selected by time
and date stamp, etc. They don't address the more serious problems of GEMDOS
performance, but make the restore process a little less painful. They're
probably a couple of weeks away yet.

>    2) When running from the desktop, can the path
>       given be more than one directory?  For example,
>       can it be "C: D: E:" (or would it be "C:,D:,E:")?

Yes. In the more recent versions, I've expanded the path dialog box to allow
more typing space. You can enter different paths, if you want them all to be
backed up at once. Use spaces for separators, not commas. And, be sure you
enter paths, not files. C: is a path, for all of drive C, while C:\*.* is a
whole bunch of files (presumably) which will not get you what you want.
Entering C:\BIN C:\LIB C:\INCLUDE (assuming that BIN, LIB, and INCLUDE are
directories) will cause all files in those three directories to be backed
up. Whether nested directories in BIN, LIB, and INCLUDE would be backed up
is controlled by the FILES ONLY menu option.

The only other thing to note is that if you have sub directories on different
drives, with the same names, and enter both those drives in a single execution,
you may encounter some trouble. If the first directory was present in the
RAMdisk when the second identically named sub directory was encountered,
the files from the second sub directory would be added to the first sub
directory. If, however, the RAMdisk was filled, and written to the floppies
before the second identically named sub directory was encountered, you would
then get two identically named sub directories on different backup floppies.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

------------------------------

DATE: 04/19/88 11:31:44 EST
TO: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
FROM: #FJMORA%WMMVS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
SUBJECT: Re: AtariDOS live!

Hello,

I use TurboDOS from Atari France since september 87. It is a 100K
hard-disk cache, and only that. It doesn't make any good with
a diskette based system. IT DOES NOT FIX THE 40 FOLDER BUG.
And my SH 205 never complained about it. Despite my efforts,
I never jammed a file with it :-). It seems to be very robust.
But it is _NOT_ a miracle program, just a cache. Don't expect
too much.

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              BITNET:
     The College of William and Mary            #fjmora%wmmvs.bitnet
     Dept. of Computer Science
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185
     USA

     *                                                                        *
     * "Was uns nicht vertoetet, verstaerkt uns."                             *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 88 12:16:04 +0200
From: mcvax!lasso!ralph@uunet.UU.NET (Ralph P. Sobek)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: Underscore crash bug (was: ...)

|  Date: 12 Apr 88 12:50:34 GMT
|  From: lakesys!martin@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Martin Wiedmeyer)
|
|  I was in error about the underscore bug. You don't even have to enter a
|  Return! Just entering the '_' on the directory line of the File Selector Box
|  will crash the ST *very* hard!

I understand the bug, and bugs are bad!!  But why would one enter anything
at all in the directory line other than, for example, D: to change drives?
After that one can use the directory selection mechanism in fselect(?) to go
up and down the directory tree to the proper directory.  If one lands on a
directory that contains the ubiquitous underscore, that does not crash the
ST.  I find the standard file selection mechanism sufficiently versatile
that I have not yet put fselect2 in my \AUTO\ folder.  I must admit that the
documentation on fselect is virtually non-existant.  Thanks to the discussions
here on info-atari16 digest (and the newsgroups) I've learnt a lot about
fselect's functionality.  Thanks folks!

But then, I may be missing something....  Replies directly to me or info-atari16
but I can't access any of the newsgroups.  ;-{

Ralph P. Sobek               | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
                   |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS               | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\