[comp.sys.atari.st] UniTerm XMODEM bug suggestion

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (04/17/88)

Someone with the facilities to make the change suggested by Simon should
uuencode the changed version, compare it against the original uuencoded
version, and post the difference. 'twould help us slobs who can't do such
things.

..b

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (04/17/88)

I used two different disk/file editor programs to try and make the fix to
Uniterm xmodem and could not find the sequence described, 06 40 00 FF, I even
searched twice for the supposedly correct sequence 02 40 00 FF and it wasn't
found either. Looked in both the .PRG file and the .RSC file. Either Simon
mad a mistake, or someone fixed it. I was looking at 2.0c edit 008. I don't
know of any service that doesn't use CRC checking anyway, so I am not going
to bother with it anymore, and would suggest that the rest of you forget it to.
After all, Simon should have another edit out in a couple of weeks anyway.

piet@ruuinf.UUCP (Piet van Oostrum) (04/18/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.9 of Mon Mar 21 1988 on ruuinf (hcx/ux)

In article <8861@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:

   Someone with the facilities to make the change suggested by Simon should
   uuencode the changed version, compare it against the original uuencoded
   version, and post the difference. 'twould help us slobs who can't do such
   things.

Here's my try:

1,2c1,2
< begin 644 univ20c.arc
< M&@A53DE415)-+E!21P``;/P!`$8,H1231*NS`@`,8#0`$%!)'0``!2`=!$")
---
> begin 644 univ20c2.arc
> M&@A53DE415)-+E!21P``;/P!`$8,H12UL:NS`@`,8#0`$%!)'0``!2`=!$")
719c719
< M?'!`9L``T)`!!D"4_Q`%RR!7T$`"?,`0EJ``>("5X)`$&)`!N1`$/P7BTA`$
---
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Budapestlaan 6, P.O. Box 80.012, 3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (04/19/88)

In article <4564@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:
>I used two different disk/file editor programs to try and make the fix to
>Uniterm xmodem and could not find the sequence described, 06 40 00 FF, I even
>searched twice for the supposedly correct sequence 02 40 00 FF and it wasn't
>found either. Looked in both the .PRG file and the .RSC file. Either Simon
>mad a mistake, or someone fixed it. I was looking at 2.0c edit 008.

I had the same lack of success finding the string in either the .PRG or the
.RSC file. I was looking in the V2.0c 009, the version which is now available
on netlib (Thanks, Simon!).

Is it possible that the bug only exists in earlier edits than 008? However I
also searched for 02 40 00 FF and that didn't rear it's head either, as Dave
found with 008.

If someone could clear up the mystery, I, for one, would appreciate it. But I
always use CRC if I have to use XModem anyway.....

Marty Wiedmeyer
martin@lakesys.UUCP

--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) (04/19/88)

From article <596@lakesys.UUCP>, by martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer):
> I had the same lack of success finding the string in either the .PRG or the
> .RSC file. I was looking in the V2.0c 009, the version which is now available
> on netlib (Thanks, Simon!).

The 064000FF words were at address C428 (50216 decimal) in the .PRG file as
I received it from the net.  (I think it was edit version 008, but I'm not
positive.)  I uudecoded/de-arc'd it on a VAX/UNIX system, then used the
"dd" command to swap bytes before dumping with "od" (a dump utility) and
searching for the string.  The words on either side of the ones to be changed
were just as described by Simon.

Layne Jensen                   ...ucbvax!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
Naval Ocean Systems Center     jensen@nosc.MIL
San Diego, CA

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (04/20/88)

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:
>I used two different disk/file editor programs to try and make the fix to
>Uniterm xmodem and could not find the sequence described, 06 40 00 FF, I even
>searched twice for the supposedly correct sequence 02 40 00 FF and it wasn't
>found either. Looked in both the .PRG file and the .RSC file. Either Simon
>mad a mistake, or someone fixed it. I was looking at 2.0c edit 008. I don't
>know of any service that doesn't use CRC checking anyway, so I am not going
>to bother with it anymore, and would suggest that the rest of you forget it to.
>After all, Simon should have another edit out in a couple of weeks anyway.

I found the sequence in uniterm.prg about 50200 bytes into the file.  My only
binary file editor had no search capability so I hacked a C program to do it.
Are there any PD binary file editors with search capability?

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!sreeb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sreeb@nosc.mil
INET: sreeb@pnet01.cts.com

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (04/21/88)

In article <596@lakesys.UUCP>...
           martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) Writes:
>In article <4564@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I used two different disk/file editor programs to try and make the fix to
>>Uniterm xmodem and could not find the sequence described, 06 40 00 FF, I even
>>searched twice for the supposedly correct sequence 02 40 00 FF and it wasn't
>>found either. Looked in both the .PRG file and the .RSC file. Either Simon
>>mad a mistake, or someone fixed it. I was looking at 2.0c edit 008.
>
>I had the same lack of success finding the string in either the .PRG or the
>.RSC file. I was looking in the V2.0c 009, the version which is now available
>on netlib (Thanks, Simon!).
>
>Is it possible that the bug only exists in earlier edits than 008? ... .. .
I had no problem finding and fixing the bug in UniTerm 2.0c 008.
I used a _monitor_ program called MONST to load UniTerm into memory,
find the bug, patch it, and write a new copy of UniTerm back out to disk.

						R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet