[comp.sys.atari.st] LaTeX ST: does it exist?

051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (John Turnbull) (04/19/88)

While testing TurboDOS, someone (Simon?) ran LaTeX as a pseudo-benchmark.
Where have I been?  Is LaTeX available for the ST?  Is it PD?  Where can
I get it?  Thank you in advance.  /JT

John Turnbull,          NetNorth: 051332@uottawa
30 Somerset Ave,        BITNET:   051332@uottawa
Dept. of Biology,       ARPAnet:  051332%uottawa.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Univ. of Ottawa,        UUCP:     ...!psuvax1!051332%uottawa.BITNET
Ottawa,  Ontario,       JANET:    051332%uottawa@rl.earn
CANADA,  K1N 6N5.       ICBM:     45 25' 33'' N  75 39' 05'' W

mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) (04/19/88)

	I too would like to know of the availibility of LaTeX for the ST.

--
Mark A. Storin
Lake Systems, Milw., WI

franco@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (04/19/88)

I believe ST-TeX (which includes a previewer and the ability to output
240 dpi on an Epson FX-80 (at 8 minutes a page)) is available for
DM 235 from Tools GmbH, Kessenicher Str. 108, 5300 Bonn 1, West Germany.
For LaTeX add about DM 70.  Drivers for about 10 other printers including
two Laser printers may be substituted at DM 35 each, I believe.  The
current manual is in German but in a few weeks the English manual will
be available.

This TeXer is reasonably good, especially for the price, but it is not
as good as, say, Textures for the Mac or PC-TeX.  In particular the
previewer lacks many useful features.  However, TeXing itself is fast -
just a few seconds per page.

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (04/19/88)

There is another version available for the ST for about the same price:
ST-TeX from Kettler EDV-Consulting, Ludwig-Thoma-Weg 9, 8172 Lenggries,
West Germany, (08042)8081.  When we compared the two (almost a year ago)
this one was very much superior: faster, recognized paths and a nicer
previewer.  This may have changed with Tools 2.0 which I have not seen.

There also is a public domain previewer which beats both in speed and
also has the nice possibility of cooperating with a mainframe host
(for .dvi and/or font files).

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (04/21/88)

In article <453@nikhefh.hep.nl> t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) writes:
>There is another version available for the ST for about the same price:
>ST-TeX from Kettler EDV-Consulting, Ludwig-Thoma-Weg 9, 8172 Lenggries,
>West Germany, (08042)8081.  When we compared the two (almost a year ago)
>this one was very much superior: faster, recognized paths and a nicer
>previewer.  This may have changed with Tools 2.0 which I have not seen.

The Tools 2.0 TeX version is a LOT better than the original version, faster
(if you saw the timings for the UniTerm manual which was around 9 min,
compared to 7 min on a otherwise completly empty mVax II), knows about
paths (via a setup file or enviroment variables), the previewer has improved
a lot, you can improve the speed even more if you put all your fonts for one
document into to a library. Some of the functions of the previewer are still
pretty obscure (random access of pages is one example), there is a version
which supports the Atari Laser and a lot of other goodies....

>There also is a public domain previewer which beats both in speed and
>also has the nice possibility of cooperating with a mainframe host
>(for .dvi and/or font files).

This I simply don't believe (the speed claim), the Tools previewer is
very quick (and  is supposedly written completly in assembler), perhaps
we are not talking about the same resolution?

What used to be a BIG problem with Tools was their customers service,
but that has improved too.

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (04/21/88)

In article <594@lakesys.UUCP> mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) writes:

>	I too would like to know of the availibility of LaTeX for the ST.

[ deleted text ]

A german company sells a version of TeX/LaTeX for ST:

Tools, Gmbh
Kessenicher Strasse 108
5300 Bonn 1
West Germany

It is Tex version 2.1.
Seems very interesting but the 56-pages manual is still in German. An english
version is planned. Uses environment file for input, output, fonts, format...
Has a previewer and other features but I do not understand German...
I have used previous version and, except some bugs, it is useable. Needs
a lot of memory! Price is around 300 DM.

From TUGboat, volume 7, No 3 (1986), another company has a TeX version
for ST:

Kettler EDV-consulting
P.O. Box 1345
d-8172 Lenggries
Federal Republic of Germany
phone (49) 8042 8081

No more info.

Disclaimer: I am only a customer of Tools.

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  UUCP  : {mcvax,inria!}irisa!decouty         |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
| FRANCE                       |  BITNET: DECOUTY@FRCICB71                    |
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |