[comp.sys.atari.st] 68030 Un*x Workstation

HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) (03/31/88)

. . for the line eater . .
Thanks for the direct reports from the Hannover show, but it looks like
you missed something.  In the March 28, 1988 info world news section was
a story about an Atari 68030 Un*x Workstation that was supossedly
'revealed' at Hannover.  Briefly the configuation was: 68030, 5 VME slots,
4 Mb RAM, 1-mbps Starlan port, 2 serial ports, one SCSI port, and a 60 Meg
internal hard disc (this sounds more like a wish list, I'm only reporting
what I read).  Shiraz Shivji was reported as saying an optional graphics
card with CGA EGA VGA was to go along with a 1280 by 960 monitor (under
development).  Cost: 'less than $5,000' and operate 50% faster than a
80386 with both running Un*x System V, Version 3.1.

According to the article 50 developers already have them and are
to be for sale in Europe by end of 1988.

Any comments?  from Germany?  from Atari?
Anybody actually see this?

Bye
 Bruce Heimbigner
Email:                    Snail mail:
 HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.bitnet      N.W. 324 True Street
OR                          Pullman WA 99163-3347 (USA)
 BIX:bheimbigner  (but I don't get on here very often)
----"It's all very well in practice,
        but in theory it just doesn't work."

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (04/04/88)

In article <8803300934.AA11609@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) writes:

> Thanks for the direct reports from the Hannover show, ......
> According to the article 50 developers already have them and are
> to be for sale in Europe by end of 1988.
> Any comments?  from Germany?  from Atari?

The reports on the '030, vis-a-vis configurations, are close enough. As I
said, others may give their own views, but I prefer the conservative
approach of not making definitive statements until I have actually
checked out a Beta level product. This applies to all product development,
software and hardware, and not just to the '030.

However, the report about there being 50 of 'em out there is somewhat
premature and was, I believe, in the context of the UK-managed "ABAQ"
developer systems, rather than the '030.
Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (04/05/88)

Ok, I guess my question is:
Why is Atari producing a 68030 machine that runs UNIX (or a clone)
when the ABAQ will also run UNIX (or a clone)?

Aren't both machines aimed at the same market? And from everything
For what I've read on this group so far, the ABAQ is superior.
Or is the 030 computer targeted for current ST users?

Any speculations? Anyone at Atari?

				Tom Johnson

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (04/07/88)

In article <5504@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
> Ok, I guess my question is:
> Why is Atari producing a 68030 machine that runs UNIX (or a clone)
> when the ABAQ will also run UNIX (or a clone)?

The "ABAQ" (a temporary name, due to a Belgian trademark conflict - I kind
of like "ATAQ"), is a high-performance graphics beast, using the Mega as
an I/O channel. It has the Helios OS, which is a UN*X-clone but not SVID
compatible, having several extensions for the multiprocessing Transputers.
Thus it will not conform to federal/government requirements which blandly
state SVID or X/OPEN compliance, to simplify their qualification procedures
amongst other reasons. My personal opinion is that the "ABAQ" will find its
niche in markets totally different to the '030.

The '030 is specified for X/OPEN and SVID compliance, and follows standards
all the way, including X Windows and VME. Thus it is a somewhat generic
platform at a very low cost considering its performance, and can be used
to address federal, EEC and similar tenders, as well as being attractive to
VARs and major accounts.

The '030 will make use of a lot of the technology for high-performance video
which is found in the "ABAQ", and I suppose it is quite possible that the
two might converge at a later date. But in order to bring clean products to
market, the two will continue their development paths independently, and
will, I suspect, be marketed as outlined above.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (04/12/88)

In article <5504@uwmcsd1.UUCP> john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
>Why is Atari producing a 68030 machine that runs UNIX (or a clone)
>when the ABAQ will also run UNIX (or a clone)?

I got a statement of a guy of Perihelion at the Hannover faire: The Abaq
will run Helios, an operating system defenitly *new* and not U*IX.
There will be an enviroment with C compiler/make/shell/etc looking like
Unix (compareble to MT C Shell for the ST).
It should be possible to port Unix-applications to the Abaq; perihelion
doesn't want to pay for the complete Unix.
>Aren't both machines aimed at the same market? And from everything
>For what I've read on this group so far, the ABAQ is superior.
It is. Of course. I've seen a couple of demos of Transputers running at
the CeBIT (Hannover). They are FAST. Unbelieveble fast.
>Or is the 030 computer targeted for current ST users?
I don't think so. It will be a little more expensive (if it will be at
all... 8-)
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 (auf der Karte: links)
hase@netmbx.UUCP

steenkl@diku.dk (Steen Koefoed Larsen) (04/21/88)

A lot of people seemes to be confused about the ABAQ and UNIX.

After a chat with Perihelion at the Hannover faire i realised that

	1) The ABAQ has NO MMU. (i.e. no protected memory and no UNIX)

	2) The filesystem on the Helios operating systems looks like
	   the UNIX filesystem. BUT....

	3) The process environment in Helios i different from UNIX.

	4) Helios is developed in C -not OCCAM.

	5) The 1k x 1k graphics board has a palette with 4 million
           colours. The "colour blitterchip" in the board can draw
	   50 million pixels pr. second. This board is also used in
           the Atari 68030 UNIX box.

The ABAQ is an experimental machine that gives a speedy system
with great potential for parallel programming and graphics.

The UNIX box is (going to be) a cheap UNIX workstation for the guy
who whants a standard (UNIX & Xwindows) system with MMU security.

Two very different products !

Kind regards

Steen Koefoed Larsen,  steenkl@diku.denet.UUCP

[If you read this: There is no line eater !!]