[comp.sys.atari.st] TURTLE questions

jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) (04/15/88)

I would really like to thank George Woodside for
a very useful and useable backup program, TURTLE.

I do have questions that the manual didn't answer
(at least I didn't see the answers, but I may simply
have read over them).

    1) What is the fastest / easiest way to restore
       a hard-disk from a TURTLE backup?

    2) When running from the desktop, can the path
       given be more than one directory?  For example,
       can it be "C: D: E:" (or would it be "C:,D:,E:")?

Thanks again,
Joe Gilray (hplabs!hpldola!jg)

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (04/18/88)

In article <11830005@hpldola.HP.COM> jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>I would really like to thank George Woodside for
>a very useful and useable backup program, TURTLE.
>
>I do have questions that the manual didn't answer
>(at least I didn't see the answers, but I may simply
>have read over them).
>
>    1) What is the fastest / easiest way to restore
>       a hard-disk from a TURTLE backup?

First, you're welcome.

No, you didn't miss the restore documentation in the manual, since there
isn't any :^(

I have some ideas about doing this efficiently, but no time to implement them.
I do have a couple of tools being tested by my long-suffering friends (thanks
to Ken Adam, specifically) which I'll be posting here soon. There are nothing
wonderful, just copy utilities which will move floppy images into the TURTLE
RAMdisks, and a copy utility program which can create directories, copy
entire directories with recursive descent, allow files to be selected by time
and date stamp, etc. They don't address the more serious problems of GEMDOS
performance, but make the restore process a little less painful. They're
probably a couple of weeks away yet.

>    2) When running from the desktop, can the path
>       given be more than one directory?  For example,
>       can it be "C: D: E:" (or would it be "C:,D:,E:")?

Yes. In the more recent versions, I've expanded the path dialog box to allow
more typing space. You can enter different paths, if you want them all to be
backed up at once. Use spaces for separators, not commas. And, be sure you
enter paths, not files. C: is a path, for all of drive C, while C:\*.* is a
whole bunch of files (presumably) which will not get you what you want.
Entering C:\BIN C:\LIB C:\INCLUDE (assuming that BIN, LIB, and INCLUDE are
directories) will cause all files in those three directories to be backed
up. Whether nested directories in BIN, LIB, and INCLUDE would be backed up
is controlled by the FILES ONLY menu option.

The only other thing to note is that if you have sub directories on different
drives, with the same names, and enter both those drives in a single execution,
you may encounter some trouble. If the first directory was present in the
RAMdisk when the second identically named sub directory was encountered,
the files from the second sub directory would be added to the first sub
directory. If, however, the RAMdisk was filled, and written to the floppies
before the second identically named sub directory was encountered, you would
then get two identically named sub directories on different backup floppies.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/19/88)

In article <11830005@hpldola.HP.COM> jg@hpldola.HP.COM (Joe Gilray) writes:

>I would really like to thank George Woodside for
>a very useful and useable backup program, TURTLE.

I too appreciate this program.
I do not have a hard drive yet, but have seen an early version
of TURTLE in operation, and I think it is great!

>    1) What is the fastest / easiest way to restore
>       a hard-disk from a TURTLE backup?

Wouldn't it be nice if the disk backup program would create an index
that to help me find the disk that has the file I want.
It should be quite simple, an ordinary text file with two entries in
each line of text:

  a sequence number for disk, the complete path name of the file.

so that I could use "grep" or a text editor to look at it.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@waterloo.edu

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (04/25/88)

In article <1522@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
[...edited]
>Wouldn't it be nice if the disk backup program would create an index
>that to help me find the disk that has the file I want.
>It should be quite simple, an ordinary text file with two entries in
>each line of text:

TURTLE is really up against the wall for memory. There are a few things that
could be added, but the program would no longer fit into memory with double
sided disks (especially 10 sector formats).

The index, however, shouldn't be a difficult stand alone application for
someone to write.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA