[comp.sys.atari.st] WordPefect

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (04/25/88)

In article <4538@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
> []
> [Complaints about (lack of) speed of PC-Ditto.]
> Anyone with experiences of the ST (native) WP?  Can you print to a Laser
> printer from it?  Save as Postscript?  Gem Metafile?
>
> - Moshe Braner

ST WordPerfect is reasonably fast.  They have obviously not used the built-in
screen handlers, since the screen updates far faster than I've seen in other
programs.  Included with WP is a 37 page file about printers, moving from
one end to the other takes about 3 seconds.

Yes, you can print to a laser printer.

No, you can not save as postscript.

No, you can not save as a Gem Metafile.

If you get ST WP and expect full GEM support and a standard GEM interface,
you will be very disappointed.  It is a port of their MS-DOS product, and
it shows.  The interface is good as it is, but it is different.  The mouse
is supported for every operation, and the menus are fairly straitforward.

I just bought my copy a week and a half ago, and haven't used it for
anything serious yet.  The dealer gave me a copy of the 1/29/88 upgrade
(not sure of the legality of this) since the one in the box was the first
release.

I haven't had any problems with crashing with the 1/29 version since the first
day, but I was also messing around with reset-proof ramdisks that day.  WP and
the ramdisks did not seem to get along very well (lockups, etc).  I have not hd
problems since, and none of the problems were reproducable.  I'll look into
this further when I have time.

WP is far more powerful than any other word processor for the ST that I've
tried.  I'm willing to put up with a non-standard interface as a trade-off.
WP has standard GEM menus and, in some places, standard windows and dialogs.
It's a good user interface as it stands, but there is some "culture shock" when
first using it.  You can also totally ignore the GEM interface if you know
WP for MS-DOS - it will work the same way.
--
Ron DeBlock	KA2IKT		213 River Dr.
...!rutgers!galaxy!argus	Lk Hiawatha, NJ 07034