[comp.sys.atari.st] PC-Ditto speed

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (04/23/88)

[]

I tried Word Perfect and Turbo C on PC-Ditto.  Both are way too slow
to be useful, in my opinion.  I expected WP to be OK since it is an
interactive program but it is rather slow on a real 8088 and about
4 or 5 times slower still in PC-Ditto.  20+ seconds to jump from one
end of a 30K file to another.  Disgusting.

Anyone with experiences of the ST (native) WP?  Can you print to a Laser
printer from it?  Save as Postscript?  Gem Metafile?

- Moshe Braner

G15@PSUVM.BITNET (John F. Gbruoski) (04/26/88)

In article <4538@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) says:

>[]
>
>I tried Word Perfect and Turbo C on PC-Ditto.  Both are way too slow
>to be useful, in my opinion.  I expected WP to be OK since it is an
>interactive program but it is rather slow on a real 8088 and about
>4 or 5 times slower still in PC-Ditto.  20+ seconds to jump from one
>end of a 30K file to another.  Disgusting.

I agree.  I recently had a chance to try a friend's copy of pc-ditto
with WP.  I was appalled by the speed (or, should I say, the *lack* of
speed) of the emulation.  This really surprised me since most magazine
reviews (which I generally trust) of this product proclaimed 'How Great'
it was.  Personally, I find pc-ditto to be totally useless for doing any
meaningful work.  Considering the fact that a good pc-emulation
system will run you about $400 ($80 for pc-ditto, $120 for upgrade to
1 megabyte ram, $200 for 5 1/4 drive with power supply, cable, etc), you'd
be better-off spending $200 more for a cheap PC-clone.
-----

*  John F. Gbruoski <The Captain>  G15 @ PSUVM.BitNet                         *
*  UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!g15                *
*                                                                             *
* "Omnia mutantur; omnia fluunt; quod fuimus aut sumus, cras non erimus."-Ovid*

wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (04/26/88)

Everyone has been complaining about PC-ditto speed.  Perhaps, all this software
emulator (and one should realize that software emulation IS slow) needs is
the accelerator board from Megabyte :-)  If this 16mhz board is as close to
completion as it seems (from rumours), pc-ditto ought to be sped up by a notch
or two (and for only approx $195 -- the cost of the board).  Also, I'm sure
that the next version of pc-ditto will be a little speedier than its prede-
cessor.  If used in combination, I could imagine speeds in excess of a PC!
(Yeah, imagine that -- an ST going at the speed of an IBeMediocre PC :-)

You'll never catch me buying this accelerator board to emulate a PC more
swiftly -- I'll buy it to run ST software (compilers) faster :-)

Tom Wolf

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (04/26/88)

In article <40365G15@PSUVM>, G15@PSUVM.BITNET (John F. Gbruoski) writes:
>   I was appalled by the speed (or, should I say, the *lack* of
> speed) of the emulation.  This really surprised me since most magazine
> reviews (which I generally trust) of this product proclaimed 'How Great'
> it was.  Personally, I find pc-ditto to be totally useless for doing any
> meaningful work.  Considering the fact that a good pc-emulation
> system will run you about $400 ($80 for pc-ditto, $120 for upgrade to
> 1 megabyte ram, $200 for 5 1/4 drive with power supply, cable, etc), you'd
> be better-off spending $200 more for a cheap PC-clone.

Well, what the hell do you expect from an all software emulator? The
program IS great. It's also quite usefull in my opinion. Also, your
comment about spending the money is rediculous. Many IBM programs are
now available on 3.5" disks! I have an Atari 520ST without the 1 meg,
and I have not spent any money, since I got PC-Ditto, on the IBM
emulation! And there are quite a few programs that I run with it!