[comp.sys.atari.st] PC-Ditto and Norton SI

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/25/88)

In article <116@avsd.UUCP>, govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
> We tested pc ditto here, and it has a Norton of index of .3, which
> means .3 x 4.77 MHz.  Still, it's fast enough for most tasks and
> completely compatible so far.

Remember the Norton SI only rates raw CPU performance.  It does not
rate any of the system calls.  The PC-Ditto system calls seem to
mainly consist of taking the correct parameters out of the "8088
registers" and pushing them on the stack, then calling GEMDOS.  At any
rate, they are pleasingly fast.

If you want a more realistic test for what most people would use
PC-Ditto for, load Ditto, start your favorite MS-DOS word processor
(if there is such a creature! :-), and then load and save a large
file.  Now go try the same test on the same file.  THIS will give you
the relative performance figures for the PC and ST/Ditto.  Do the same
with all the software you normally use.
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!uplherc!

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (04/26/88)

In article <171@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <116@avsd.UUCP>, govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) writes:
>> We tested pc ditto here, and it has a Norton of index of .3, which
>> means .3 x 4.77 MHz.  Still, it's fast enough for most tasks and
>> completely compatible so far.

One thing that I found weird, was that I had run another SI from another
program and it gives the desctiption of just what type of cpu the machine
is running. I was surprised to see that it came back and said I was
running a 80286 machine!!!! Strange things ......

rich.....
UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich

--
 Disclaimer: The words, expressions posted here are my own.....
 Nothing is ever so bad that it can't be made worse by trying to fix it

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (04/28/88)

In article <171@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>The PC-Ditto system calls seem to
>mainly consist of taking the correct parameters out of the "8088
>registers" and pushing them on the stack, then calling GEMDOS.  At any

In the first online pc-ditto conference on CompuServe, Bill Teal (the
author of pc-ditto_ said that he doesn't use TOS for _anything_.
The ST's firmware is asleep when pc-ditto is running.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP