[comp.sys.atari.st] cartridge tape on ST

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (04/03/88)

---------

this may could like a dumb question or may have been hashed out before, but
has anybody heard of a 10+ MB cartridge tape system being used on the ST?
would it be fiscally feasible to piggyback off the hard disk or would it
be better to tap the floppy controller? i've been watching this group for
about 6 months now and don't recall any discussions here. there are cart
backup systems for ibm pc which cost $300-600 external, presumably using
their own power supplies (?). i know for me this is infinitely better than
listening (and waiting) for my floppy to (literally) grind out backups (i'm
on my 3rd drive mechanism in a <2 year old 1040). any comments? if such
a system is available, could you post/email to me?

i have heard about supra's 10 MB floppy. does anyone have any experience
with it? cost? reliability? availability? interface with atari SH204 drive?

thanx...

-bill

-----

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (04/10/88)

In article <1536@alliant.Alliant.COM> rosenkra@alliant.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>their own power supplies (?). i know for me this is infinitely better than
>listening (and waiting) for my floppy to (literally) grind out backups (i'm
>on my 3rd drive mechanism in a <2 year old 1040). any comments? if such
>a system is available, could you post/email to me?

Actually, that was the reason I wrote HDSCAN...I currently use HDSCAN
for all my incremental backups on both my ST and my Unix Box (both
only have floppies for backup media.) What I will do is make one full
backup of the system with just the minimal configuration of files on
it (using turtle on the ST and dump on the Unix system). Then every
few days I will scan the entire ST drive (all trees except the USENET
area on the Unix system), sort everything by reverse date, and tag for
copying all the 'new' files. Since this gives you a chance to ignore
those 400K demo files that you could care less about backing up, you
will find that it takes quite a while to go through 10 disks worth of
incremental backup...like about 6 months for me since most of the
stuff I back up is just my source code. It is incredible how many
large system files you can ignore this way on a Unix system as well.

Last price I heard on the Supra 10 meg floppy was $895 and you
supposedly can use it with another drive (at least another Supra
anyway.) Of course with a 80 ms access time, you could just use it as
another hard disk...

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (04/16/88)

In article <1536@alliant.Alliant.COM> rosenkra@alliant.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>i have heard about supra's 10 MB floppy. does anyone have any experience
>with it? cost? reliability? availability? interface with atari SH204 drive?

This drive seems to be one of the 10 MByte floppies with SCSI interface.
Verbaim makes one of them. They are very reliable. We bought it for
backing up our Mac II harddisk and use it as a second drive now.
Works pretty good (not tooo fast but well...).

If I get a Atari DMA-to-SCSI board, I'll try the drive out with my ST at
home.
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 (auf der Karte: links)
hase@netmbx.UUCP

HELLER@cs.umass.EDU (Stride 440 User) (04/28/88)

Bill:
	I'm planning on putting a 1/4" cartridge tape drive on my 1040ST.
(A 45/60 MB drive - uses DC300XL or DC600A carts.)  I have a psuedo-Supra
hard disk system:  A Supra DMA/SCSI adapter, an Adaptec 4000 SCSI/ST506
controller, a ST251 drive, and a not-yet-installed Adaptec 3530 SCSI/QIC-36
controller.  I don't have a tape drive mechanism yet.  I'll probably have
to write a driver for the SCSI/QIC-36 controller (I'll be doing it under
OS-9/68000 though).  Most ST Hard Disk subsystems use a SCSI-bus drive or
controller, with a ST-DMA to SCSI adapter.  Depending on this adapter, it
should be posible to interface any SCSI controller as a second (third, etc.)
SCSI device.  Upto 8 SCSI devices are posible (this is *address space* - you
may be limited by hardware limits (i.e. bus drivers, lack/limits on decoding).)
					Robert