[comp.sys.atari.st] DCFORMAT v.2.21

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/09/88)

After my question on DCFORMAT's not working a few months back -- I received
no suggestions.  ;-(  Oh well, I was recently given a working version -- which
would also hang after the initial DC alert box(message).  A further
suggestion told me to look at my \AUTO\ folder -- and guess what -- GDOS.PRG
caused DCFORMAT to hang.  Desactivating GDOS.PRG get DCFORMAT to work.
Does anybody know why this happens?  Does anybody have DCFORMAT and GDOS
co-existing happily?  By the way, do different versions of GDOS exist?  Mine
is version 1.1 -- and from the Info-Atari16 Digest -- it seemed like the ONLY
version.

Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =
Please reply to me directly since I don't get any of the newsgroups, such as
comp.*.atari.st  ;-{
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (04/15/88)

I know that a problem exists with GDOS and DC Formatter.  I thought I fixed it
once, but apparently it has crept back in.  I can say this:

Why are you running GDOS all the time?

I would only suggest running GDOS with programs that need it.  I have the new
ROMS, which really speed up system response, and when I run GDOS the sytem is
really unusable -- ie., SLOOOOOWWWWW!!!

The problem has to do with VDI handles and the like.  I will look into it.

- mike

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/22/88)

Michael B. Vederman asks me the following:

|  Why are you running GDOS all the time?
|
|  I would only suggest running GDOS with programs that need it.  I have the new
|  ROMS, which really speed up system response, and when I run GDOS the sytem is
|  really unusable -- ie., SLOOOOOWWWWW!!!

I thought that GDOS had to be in the \AUTO\ folder, and therefore loaded each
and every time!  Mine doesn't like to be loaded manually.  Am I missing
something?

|  The problem has to do with VDI handles and the like.  I will look into it.

Thanks, though!

F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =
P.S.  Does anybody know of a trivial program that could be put in a batch file
and cause the ST to reset (or reboot)?
P.P.S.  Reply directly to me since I do not get USENET news.
=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (05/01/88)

In article <8804220958.AA18680@lasso.laas.fr> ralph@lasso.UUCP (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>Michael B. Vederman asks me the following:
>
>|  Why are you running GDOS all the time?
>|
>|  I would only suggest running GDOS with programs that need it.  I have the new
>|  ROMS, which really speed up system response, and when I run GDOS the sytem is
>|  really unusable -- ie., SLOOOOOWWWWW!!!
>
>I thought that GDOS had to be in the \AUTO\ folder, and therefore loaded each
>and every time!  Mine doesn't like to be loaded manually.  Am I missing
>something?
>
>|  The problem has to do with VDI handles and the like.  I will look into it.
>
>Thanks, though!
>
>Ralph P. Sobek		       | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or
>			       |        ralph@lasso.uucp
>LAAS-CNRS		       | Internet:  ralph@lasso.laas.fr,    or
>7, avenue du Colonel-Roche     |            ralph%lasso.laas.fr@uunet.UU.NET
>F-31077 Toulouse Cedex, FRANCE | ARPA:   sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU (forwarded\
>+(33) 61-33-62-66	       | BITNET/EARN:  SOBEK@FRMOP11        \ to UUCP )
>=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =
>P.S.  Does anybody know of a trivial program that could be put in a batch file
>and cause the ST to reset (or reboot)?
>P.P.S.  Reply directly to me since I do not get USENET news.
>=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

We have found our bug, and will have it fixed in our next releases of
DC Formatter, version 3.0.

The problem (altho trivial now) took me some time to discover.  We had our
handles correct, we simply initialized the intin array incorrectly (by one
element) and this caused stupendous crashes using GDOS.

I still can't see why anyone would bootup GDOS, unless they really needed it.
That program could use much improvement in the way it handles coordinate
conversions.  No offense to Atari, but I bet it is written in 'C.'

Don't get me wrong, I love 'C' but for time critical code (and GDOS is since
it has to steal the trap #2 vector and do horrendous conversions) I would
surmise that pure hand massaged assembly would vastly improve it's speed.

If Atari would like, Double Click Software will do a PURE assembly conversion.
All we need is the source code.  :-)

BTW - Maybe someone at Atari can tell me why when I boot up GDOS v1.1 with new
ROMs (maybe with old ROMs too) I get a trap #1 (divide by zero error) so many
times, before it does a good boot up?  This seems to happen more on resets
than on cold-starts.

- Mike