[comp.sys.atari.st] GIF/IFF Picture formats

G15@PSUVM.BITNET (John F. Gbruoski) (04/18/88)

Are there any PD programs capable of displaying (or converting to
Degas, Neo, etc) pictures in IFF or GIF format?  I'm more interested in
GIF than in IFF (note:  I don't have access to Compuserve.).
-----

*  John F. Gbruoski <The Captain>  G15 @ PSUVM.BitNet                         *
*  UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!g15                *
*                                                                             *
* "Omnia mutantur; omnia fluunt; quod fuimus aut sumus, cras non erimus."-Ovid*

unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk (04/26/88)

In article <39602G15@PSUVM>, G15@PSUVM.BITNET (John F. Gbruoski) writes:
> Are there any PD programs capable of displaying (or converting to
> Degas, Neo, etc) pictures in IFF or GIF format?  I'm more interested in
> GIF than in IFF (note:  I don't have access to Compuserve.).
> -----

	Degas can read and write IFF files. To read set "pic type" to IFF.
If you grab a "block" of the screen, then this can be saved in IFF format
by saving it out as a brush file. i.e. extension "BL1" (I think)

	Mark Powell

 "...I hate the white	JANET unpowell@uk.ac.liv.csvax
  man, and the man	UUCP  {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!unpowell
  who turned you all	ARPA  unpowell%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
  loose..." R. Harper

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (05/02/88)

In article <891@csvax.liv.ac.uk>, unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
| 	Degas can read and write IFF files. To read set "pic type" to IFF.
| If you grab a "block" of the screen, then this can be saved in IFF format
| by saving it out as a brush file. i.e. extension "BL1" (I think)

Have you looked at TIFF (Tag Image File Format) yet?  It is becoming
very popular in the MS-DOS world, and will be the file format of
choice in OS/2.  Perhaps we should strive for this additional bit of
compatibility.  The spec for it, I am told, is huge.

There is a good article about TIFF in the latest (May 88?) Dr. Dobb's
Journal.  It is a pretty good explanation of what TIFF includes, and
includes addresses/phone numbers for getting more information,
including the TIFF library for MS-DOS and Mac (free!).
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!uplherc!