[comp.sys.atari.st] WordPerfect upgrade

c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young) (05/03/88)

In article <2878@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:

>	Last time I checked, there was nothing which gave you all the Atari
>did for a lower price.  Dave, if this has changed, please feel free to post
>your figures.  I have found Atari software to fulfill every need I have.
>Nothing extrodinary, just the basics:  Terminal emulator ( Uniterm ),
>Word Processer ( Word Perfect ( which has just put out another upgrade ) ),
> ... [rest deleted]
>						Matthew Seitz
>						seitz@cory.berkeley.edu

	Something I want to add about the new upgrade from WordPerfect.
I can't say that I've tested it extensively, but what time I have
had for testing it have shown that:

	in general, the text display routines are faster than before, perhaps
		not more than 5% to 10% faster, but it's noticeable
	scrolling from one end of the document to the other is also faster.
		I timed it to be 12 seconds from top to bottom, 8 from bottom
		to top, on an 82K document.
	scrolling, in general, is also faster.  If you hold down <Shift>-
		<DwnArrow> or <Up>, the program will wait until you stop,
		then figure out where you are, and just show that screen,
		instead of showing all the screens in between where you
		start and where you end.  I'm sorry if that's not very
		clear, but trust me, it's faster.
	Help is now an option under the Special menu, for those people who
		want to touch the keyboard as little as possible
	all those places where it used to say <PgDwn> or other incompre-
		hensible things now have the correct ST equivalent, so
		that <PgDwn> is now <Ctrl-DwnArrow>
	an additional file has been added to generate correct Postscript
		output (I haven't been able to test this yet)
	and overall, all the little "nits" I've had to pick with it have
		been fixed.

The other nice thing about this very nice upgrade is that it came with a
letter which claims that this (April 29) is not the final version, and
that they are working on another one.  Frankly, I can think of very little
for them to improve now, unless they upgrade to v4.2 or 5.0.

	A main point of this article is that, even is WordPerfect Corp. is
an exception, at least here is one "major" software company that is committed
to the ST, and I am very satisfied with their product.  I would urge anyone
who needs a "full-blown" word processor to take a look at WP;  I think
you'll like it.

\        /arner	- Writer of the dreaded Safety Seal Reviews
 \  /   /	- Owner of the vaporware group Safety Seal Software
  \/ \_/oung
       |	- Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with the company
     \_|		above, in any way except as a customer.