[comp.sys.atari.st] MS-DOS Emulator

TNPHSUD@HDETUD1.BITNET (Damir Sudar) (04/21/88)

Hi netfolks,

Has anybody already seen the hardware MS-DOS emulator called "SuperCharger"
from a German manufacturer. According to the rumours the thing should be
available by now.
The MS-DOS emulation is a nice bonus in that box but I am really
interested in the 1 Mbyte memory that can be used as a Ramdisk in ST-mode
and all that for about DM 800.- (= US$ 450). If somebody has seen it
are these promised specifications true?

Bye
- Damir

BITNET: TNPHSUD at HDETUD1 . BITNET

TTTTTT  UU  UU
  TT    UU  UU
  TT    UU  UU
  TT     UUUU   DELFT
Acknowledge-To: <TNPHSUD@HDETUD1>

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/25/88)

In article <8804240542.AA10334@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TNPHSUD@HDETUD1.BITNET (Damir Sudar) writes:
>Has anybody already seen the hardware MS-DOS emulator called "SuperCharger"
>from a German manufacturer. According to the rumours the thing should be
>available by now.
>The MS-DOS emulation is a nice bonus in that box but I am really
>interested in the 1 Mbyte memory that can be used as a Ramdisk in ST-mode
>and all that for about DM 800.- (= US$ 450). If somebody has seen it
>are these promised specifications true?

I haven't seen it yet but I can tell you a nice detail: The
price is not DM 800.- but DM 698.- (= US$ 420).

Rainer Klute

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|   Rainer Klute            | UUCP:   klute@unido.uucp                 |
|   University of Dortmund  |            (...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute)  |
|   Dept. of CS             | BITNET: klute@unido.bitnet               |
|   P.O. Box 500500         |                                          |
| D-4600 Dortmund 50        |                                          |
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|                     Federal Republic of Germany                      |

ron@argus.UUCP (Ron DeBlock) (04/27/88)

There was a bit in an article by David Small in this months Atari Explorer
about a box called the ParaBox by Paradox.  It's supposedly a hardware
add-on with a NEC B20 (sic - I'm not sure if he meant V20) to run MS-DOS.
Not many details, priced at $350.

The company also has a rather small ad in the same issue.  It's supposed to
be available in May.
--
Ron DeBlock	KA2IKT		213 River Dr.
...!rutgers!galaxy!argus	Lk Hiawatha, NJ 07034

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (04/27/88)

In article <316@laura.UUCP> klute%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Rainer Klute) writes:
>In article <8804240542.AA10334@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TNPHSUD@HDETUD1.BITNET (Damir Sudar) writes:
>> [ asking about MS-DOS emulator "SuperCharger" availablity ]
>
>I haven't seen it yet but I can tell you a nice detail: The
>price is not DM 800.- but DM 698.- (= US$ 420).

I love these kinds of comments.  It seems like I've been seeing them
about ST related stuff for as long as I can remember.  "No it doesn't
exist yet.  But it only costs $39.95".
--
David Beckemeyer			| "Yuh gotta treat people jes' like yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| do mules. Don't try to drive 'em. Jes'

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/28/88)

In article <304@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>In article <316@laura.UUCP> klute%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Rainer Klute) writes:
>>In article <8804240542.AA10334@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TNPHSUD@HDETUD1.BITNET (Damir Sudar) writes:
>>> [ asking about MS-DOS emulator "SuperCharger" availablity ]
>>
>>I haven't seen it yet but I can tell you a nice detail: The
>>price is not DM 800.- but DM 698.- (= US$ 420).
>

>I love these kinds of comments.  It seems like I've been seeing them
>about ST related stuff for as long as I can remember.  "No it doesn't
>exist yet.  But it only costs $39.95".

Please don't be so cynical, David! There's quite a difference
between seeing an ad for the SuperCharger saying it costs DM
698.- (so it really *does* exist, or do you know any reason why
the manufacturer else should pay for the ad?) and actually
seeing and *using* that box.

Rainer Klute

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (04/30/88)

In article <304@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>>> [ asking about MS-DOS emulator "SuperCharger" availablity ]
>>
>>I haven't seen it yet but I can tell you a nice detail: The
>>price is not DM 800.- but DM 698.- (= US$ 420).
>I love these kinds of comments.  It seems like I've been seeing them
>about ST related stuff for as long as I can remember.  "No it doesn't
>exist yet.  But it only costs $39.95".

It exists. As a prototype.

beta-versions are out for test.

whether or not You will see it in the USA is not known yet; still it seems
to be very probable.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
I think, you may be right in what I think you're thinking. (Douglas Adams)

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (05/05/88)

In Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #219, david@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (David Beckemeyer)
writes:
>In article <316@laura.UUCP> klute%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Rainer Klute) writes
>>In article <8804240542.AA10334@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TNPHSUD@HDETUD1.BITNET
>(Damir Sudar) writes:
>>> [ asking about MS-DOS emulator "SuperCharger" availablity ]
>>
>>I haven't seen it yet but I can tell you a nice detail: The
>>price is not DM 800.- but DM 698.- (= US$ 420).
>
>I love these kinds of comments.  It seems like I've been seeing them
>about ST related stuff for as long as I can remember.  "No it doesn't
>exist yet.  But it only costs $39.95".

Well, David may actually be right there. The newest story is:

Due to some design problem with the first batch of the Supercharger PCBs,
availability is now "somewhere around" 3rd quarter 88. And due to the increased
RAM chip prices (thanks, Ronnie, for screwing us Europeans yet again), the
price calculation is now "somewhere around" DM 800.- and not DM 698.- as
advertised originally.

I have seen a number of advertisements in German computer magazines at prices
varying from 648.- to 698.-, but I do not know anyone who has bought one, and
I do not know a single store where you could buy one.

The dealer terms for this "Supercharger" product are among the worst I've ever
seen ...

If this is all old news to you: sorry. Atari-Digests take their time while
travelling through netland.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1                              Volker A. Brandt
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt (?)         Angewandte Mathematik
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (?)          (Bonn, West Germany)

Disclaimer: I've nothing to do with anything mentioned above. In fact,
            everything I've said is wrong,  including this disclaimer. ;-)