[comp.sys.atari.st] HP DeskJet problems

paulhus@euclid.dec.com (N. Chris Paulhus DTN 223-6871 MLO 8-3/T13) (04/26/88)

	I'm having problems getting a Hewlett Packard DeskJet printer
  to communicate with my ST.  I would like to correspond with an ST
  owner who has had problems with a DeskJet and solved them.
    My problem is that the printer does not receive input from the ST.
  I can drive another printer using the parallel port with no problems.
  The DeskJet does a self test, no problems.  I have bought the HP
  cable that they suggest, to no avail.  An HP tech swapped the electronics
  board/section out with a tested good board, didn't help. [this was when
  they said to get a genuine HP cable].
    The unit worked intermittently for a while, putting out such great stuff
  (as good as a laser printer) that I want very much to get it going, rather
  than return it.   Any ST owners work at HP?  HELP!

  N. Chris Paulhus   GEnie  PAULHUS.C    CompuServ 71231,607

roydant@hpgrla.HP.COM (Roydan Tomlinson) (04/28/88)

   Hearing your problems about the printer makes me worry a little bit. I have
one coming in the two days and will be integrating it to my ST. Since I know a
few folks at the division where the Deskjet is made I will be posting the
solution to the problems that you have presented here. If you want you can send
me mail with very specific problems and I will work on resolving them. Just for
everyones information I do not work at that site so please don't ask me question
on other printers or plotters.

                                Thanks,

                                       Roydan Tomlinson

davel@hpvcla.HP.COM (David Lowe) (04/29/88)

>	I'm having problems getting a Hewlett Packard DeskJet printer
>  to communicate with my ST.  I would like to correspond with an ST
>  owner who has had problems with a DeskJet and solved them.

I have a DeskJet connected to my ST and it works fine.

>    My problem is that the printer does not receive input from the ST.
>  I can drive another printer using the parallel port with no problems.
>  The DeskJet does a self test, no problems.  I have bought the HP
>  cable that they suggest, to no avail.  An HP tech swapped the electronics
>  board/section out with a tested good board, didn't help. [this was when
>  they said to get a genuine HP cable].

I can't personally vouch for the HP cable, I made my own. Parrallel cables
have become fairly standard, unlike RS232, and I doubt this is your problem.
My DeskJet is a prototype, they make them here, and I have one problem I
thought was fixed in production units. If I turn on my DeskJet AFTER my ST
the interface handshake gets confused and the ST won't send data. Turning
on the DeskJet FIRST solves the problem. My solution is to leave the DeskJet
on all the time. If you are having this problem I would like to know. If its
not your problem I'll need more specifics to help. Send me mail.

Dave Lowe
hplabs!hp-pcd!hpvcla!davel
davel%hpvclx@hplabs.hp.com

mikeh@hplsla.HP.COM ( Mike Hall) (04/30/88)

>	I'm having problems getting a Hewlett Packard DeskJet printer
>  to communicate with my ST.  I would like to correspond with an ST
>  owner who has had problems with a DeskJet and solved them.
>    My problem is that the printer does not receive input from the ST.
>  I can drive another printer using the parallel port with no problems.
>  The DeskJet does a self test, no problems.  I have bought the HP
>  cable that they suggest, to no avail.  An HP tech swapped the electronics
>  board/section out with a tested good board, didn't help. [this was when
>  they said to get a genuine HP cable].
>    The unit worked intermittently for a while, putting out such great stuff
>  (as good as a laser printer) that I want very much to get it going, rather
>  than return it.   Any ST owners work at HP?  HELP!

I have had my production version of DeskJet for about a week and have had
absolutely no problems.  I am using a parallel cable that I bought at a local
computer shop for my old printer (years ago).

I usually turn the DeskJet printer on after the main computer, so I don't
think that is the problem.

Sorry, but no other useful information.

roydant@hpgrla.HP.COM (Roydan Tomlinson) (05/03/88)

I installed the printer this last weekend (April 30- May 1) and have had no
problems at all. The cable number I was using is HP part number 24542D. If
you (or other users with Deskjet) have anymore problems drop a line.

                              Roydan

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (05/04/88)

In article <8804261549.AA04870@decwrl.dec.com> paulhus@euclid.dec.com (N. Chris Paulhus DTN 223-6871 MLO 8-3/T13) writes:

>  I'm having problems getting a Hewlett Packard DeskJet printer
>  to communicate with my ST. ...

I have a similar problem with my LaserJet Series II.  It works fine with my
Epson IBM Clone, but refuses to print anything sent by my ST.  The problem
lies in the termination resistors in the HP.  Their values are < 2 kOhm, and
require more current to drive than the Yamaha chip in the ST can deliver.
The solution, according to Atari's Service Bulletin (I saw a copy this week-
end), is to replace the termination resistors in the printer with higher
valued resistors >3.3 kOhm, [or buy an Atari printer ;^)].

I tried replacing the 1 kOhm pull-up R107 (I think) on my ST mother board with
other values to no avail.  At least I have an out of using the serial port
on the LaserJet with my ST.  I don't believe the DeskJet has one.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I hope it answers your question.

Oh, incidently, I'm told that not all STs exhibit this behavior.  Wonderful,
no?  I've already had to replace my marginal DMA chip so I could communicate
with my Hard Disk, my MMU [sic] so I could run Spectrum, and now they tell
me I need to replace my Laser Printer! :^|

--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (05/04/88)

In article <3636@fluke.COM>, jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) writes:
> In article <8804261549.AA04870@decwrl.dec.com> paulhus@euclid.dec.com (N. Chris Paulhus DTN 223-6871 MLO 8-3/T13) writes:
> >
> >  I'm having problems getting a Hewlett Packard DeskJet printer
> >  to communicate with my ST. ...
>
> I have a similar problem with my LaserJet Series II.  It works fine with my
> Epson IBM Clone, but refuses to print anything sent by my ST.  The problem
> lies in the termination resistors in the HP.  Their values are < 2 kOhm, and
> require more current to drive than the Yamaha chip in the ST can deliver.
> The solution, according to Atari's Service Bulletin (I saw a copy this week-
> end), is to replace the termination resistors in the printer with higher
> valued resistors >3.3 kOhm, [or buy an Atari printer ;^)].
>
> Oh, incidently, I'm told that not all STs exhibit this behavior.  Wonderful,
> no?  I've already had to replace my marginal DMA chip so I could communicate
> with my Hard Disk, my MMU [sic] so I could run Spectrum, and now they tell
> me I need to replace my Laser Printer! :^|
>
> --
> James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA

I too have a related problem.  I have an ST and a 386 clone hooked up to
a Citizen MSP-20.  Both machines can talk to the printer just fine when
cabled directly, but if I put a switch box in between, then the ST
wont talk to it....

M. Singer

Robert_Lisowski@rubbs1.UUCP (Robert Lisowski) (05/06/88)

The Desk Jet DOES have both a parallel AND a serial port, so you can use the thing as a serial printer.

If the ST is not delivering enough current (and I kinda doubt that), you can put in a set of non inverting buffers (chips made for interfacing low current to high current devices).

The ports on the ST conform to industry standards, so if the ST can't deliver the current, other machines would have the same problem.  I can say, as an ST and Desk Jet owner, I have had NO trouble with either unit.  The only problems arise when I don't have a driver with the proper control codes for a particular software package.  The ST can't do a screen dump to the Desk Jet as is.  But, I hear that you can stick a little program on your boot partition or disk that has the graphics codes for the DJ, so t

hat is not a major problem.

Software support for the Desk Jet will rapidly increase by this summer.
Be patient.  Any new machine takes time to get settled into the market.

           Rob