[comp.sys.atari.st] Supra drives

c162-br@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young) (05/07/88)

In article <1718@alliant.Alliant.COM> rosenkra@alliant.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:

>i wouldn't count on the Supra to be any more reliable than the atari. i know
>several people who have had problems with them, also. i have heard that
>the astra drives are built "like brick (fill-in-the-blanks)...", being
>almost hardened (mil spec)! if they use the same drivr mech and boards,
>i can't see how they could be any better, however, unless really packaged
>will (cooling, dust, shock mount, etc).

>-bill

	I, on the other hand, have a different story.  I bought one of the
20 Meg Supra drives, and it's working very well.  For a while there, I was
having the strangest problems with it, so I sent it in for repairs.  It
turned out to be interference (at least, all they did was shorten the DMA
cable, and it worked), and the person on the phone at Supra was very
helpful about everything.  All in all, I'm well pleased.

		- Warner Young