[comp.sys.atari.st] German MS-DOS emulator

rob@hhb.UUCP (Robert R Stegmann) (05/04/88)

[This space intentionally not blank.]

I recently got a copy of the May 88 issue of the German magazine c't,
and it has several articles about the ST.  I have translated one of the
articles for those of you interested in MS-DOS emulation:

-----
  At CeBit, ABD Electronic introduced the Supercharger, a 'co-computer'
for the Atari ST.  The equipment shown consisted of a single-board computer
with an 8086, sockets for an 8087 and one Meg RAM, and working at a clock rate
of 8 MHz.  It comes complete with MS-DOS 3.2, a power supply, and a cable
to connect it to the DMA port on the ST.  The communication is handled by a
gate-array.
  Since the equipment at the fair contained a prototype gate-array afflicted
with errors, we restricted ourselves to the arithmetic benchmarks
(c't 10/87, S.104).  The Turbo-Pascal version gave the following results:

INTM:	 0.72 sec.
REALM:	33.50 sec.
TRIG:	47.80 sec.

  The Supercharger seems to be somewhat faster than a standard XT at 4.77 MHz.
June availability is anticipated; because of the increasing cost of memory
chips the existing pricing of close to 700 DM might be surpassed by about
100 Marks.
-----

rob

Robert Stegmann
{allegra,ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!hhb!rob
Disclaimer, Datclaimer, D'udderclaimer.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/08/88)

In article <956@hhb.UUCP> rob@hhb.UUCP (Robert R Stegmann) writes:
>  At CeBit, ABD Electronic introduced the Supercharger, a 'co-computer'
>for the Atari ST.  The equipment shown consisted of a single-board computer
>with an 8086, sockets for an 8087 and one Meg RAM, and working at a clock rate
>of 8 MHz.  It comes complete with MS-DOS 3.2, a power supply, and a cable
>to connect it to the DMA port on the ST.  The communication is handled by a
>gate-array.
The gate array will also emulate most registers of the 80XX hardware of
a PC.
Still there are just prototypes; there is no stable working version so
far; this is coming "real soon now".

Hmm, I do not like the idea of this thing. It has no slots.
Ok, it will run MS DOS 3.2 and clean DOS programs, it will not support
new hard/software (VGA OS/2). This is coming "real soon now" as the AT
(80286) version.
Hmm.
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
I think, you may be right in what I think you're thinking. (Douglas Adams)