[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems running TURTLE and TurboDOS on a Mega 4

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (05/05/88)

I've just bought a Mega ST4 (including blitter), and now I'm having trouble
running Turtle. It always crashes after displaying the "work" screen (the one
saying "Drive A: ... disk needed ... etc."), displaying a varying number of
3 - 5 (!) bombs. Now I can't back up my hard disk :-(

What is the newest version of Turtle ? Has anyone sucessfully used this program
with 4 MB ?

Also, I seem not to be able to use TurboDOS at all. The instructions just say
"stick it into your AUTO folder". This I've done, in a number of combinations.
I have an SH204 and use HDB (by Konrad Hahn). When I boot from the hard disk
without any programs in the AUTO folder, the system enters an endless cycle of
reboots. Using FOLDER100 ( I have ~ 90 folders on partitions C: and D:) fixed
this. When I then added TURBODOS.PRG (both before and after FOLDER100), the
system booted normally, but after a few minutes of work with Gulaam, empty
directories and directories containing garbage began to appear. At this point,
a statement like "ls" or "cd" resulted in a return to the desktop, bombs and
a "frozen" system.

I suspect a problem with 4 MB, but I don't really know. Has anyone been able to
use TurboDOS with 4 MB ?

There are a number of programs that don't work correctly with 4 MB, but they're
not interesting. The only real problem was ETERNAL, which doesn't work due to
a hardware incompatibility of the Megas. I was able to fix that easily.

Any and all help is most welcome.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1                              Volker A. Brandt
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt (?)         Angewandte Mathematik
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (?)          (Bonn, West Germany)

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (05/06/88)

Volker Brandt mentions that Turbodos on his 4 meg machine seems to be
a loose due to the (pardon my negativism, folks) stupid 40-folder bug,
and speculates that FOLDRxxx.PRG doesn't fix this because he's on an ST4.

FOLDRxxx.PRG and TURBODOS.PRG don't work together properly on my
(vintage) 1040ST, either.  Why am I not surprised :-( ?  Anyone dug
into this in depth ?  Fixes ?

--
Ross Alexander, Athabasca University.
alberta!auvax!rwa

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (05/06/88)

In article <8805051100.AA23390@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET writes:
[...edited...]

>I've just bought a Mega ST4 (including blitter), and now I'm having trouble
>running Turtle. It always crashes after displaying the "work" screen (the one
>saying "Drive A: ... disk needed ... etc."), displaying a varying number of
>3 - 5 (!) bombs. Now I can't back up my hard disk :-(
>
>What is the newest version of Turtle ? Has anyone sucessfully used this
>program with 4 MB ?

The current version, posted in comp.binaries.atari.st recently, is 2.17.

I was meticulous in writing Turtle to do absolutely everything with
standard, supported system calls. I'm rather discouraged to hear of
problems on the ST4. I'll try to locate one here for testing. If there is
a problem with executing in 4 MB, I'll create a fix for it. I have heard
of no problems with local people running on 2 MB Mega systems, though.

.
.
(Needed a few more lines)
--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (05/10/88)

In article <8805051100.AA23390@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET writes:

>I've just bought a Mega ST4 (including blitter), and now I'm having trouble
>running Turtle. It always crashes after displaying the "work" screen (the one
>saying "Drive A: ... disk needed ... etc."), displaying a varying number of
>3 - 5 (!) bombs. Now I can't back up my hard disk :-(

I've heard from no one else about this problem, so you may have a hardware
failure. You weren't trying to run Turtle and TURBODOS together, were you?

Meanwhile, if anyone in the US is having this sort of failure, let me know,
and I'll try to work with you to determine the source of the trouble.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA