[comp.sys.atari.st] clocks that fit under ROM chips?

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (05/06/88)

i have read of clock chips that are installed under one of the ROMs.
what is/are the name/number of this/these chip(s)? how does one go about
setting the clock, or does it come pre-set? anyone have information on this?

--

Mike Nemeth                "more logic than Mr Spock!"
...utzoo!hcr!miken

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (05/10/88)

In article <3275@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>i have read of clock chips that are installed under one of the ROMs.
>what is/are the name/number of this/these chip(s)? how does one go about
>setting the clock, or does it come pre-set? anyone have information on this?

The chip (actually a circuit module in a DIP socket) is the Dallas Semiconductor
DS1216E SmartWatch. There is public domain software, written by TransTech in
San Diego, that will use the SmartWatch in any ST rom socket (including
cartridge sockets). TT was selling them for about $25 a while back. I
don't know if they're still distributing them, but you can try calling them
at (619) 283-9328.

Caution: it is physically impossible to install the DS1216E in a 1040ST
without cutting into the power supply bracket. The bottom of the pan
just clears the tops of the TOS roms as it is.

Alternatively, Radio Shaft will sell you a SmartWatch locally, sans Atari
software, at a considerably inflated price.

                                 ----mike

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) (05/10/88)

There was a reent article describing how to use a clock-in-a-chip, including
installation and software in the April issue of ST X-PRESS.  Title of the
article was something like "The $25 ST clock" or some such.  You might look
there first to determine whether you want to build your own or purchase.

(Looked nice enough, but I already had a clock cartridge for my ST, so I
didn't try it out...)

-- Dave Meile