[comp.sys.atari.st] Suspected GEMDOS bug or where did the disk sectors go?

bdeskin@cognos.uucp (Bob Deskin) (05/06/88)

A week ago I posted a question about what happens to 2K when formatting a
floppy disk. That is, formatting a single sided disk gives you 349K whereas
the calculation 80 tracks times 9 sectors (720) less 1 boot sector, 2 FATs at
5 sectors each, and a directory of 7 sectors (18) leaves 702 sectors or
351K. I have since been told that this is an old GEMDOS bug where GEMDOS
"looses" 2K or 4 sectors. It explains why most RAM disks I have provide 2K
less than what's asked for. Can anyone confirm this bug (Atari???) and is it
fixed in the new ROMs. Thanks in advance.

--
Bob Deskin		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!bdeskin
Cognos Incorporated	P.O. Box 9707

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (05/10/88)

In article <2936@cognos.UUCP>, bdeskin@cognos.uucp (Bob Deskin) writes:
> A week ago I posted a question about what happens to 2K when formatting a
> floppy disk. [...deleted...]
> I have since been told that this is an old GEMDOS bug where GEMDOS
> "loses" 2K or 4 sectors. [...deleted...]
> Can anyone confirm this bug (Atari???) and is it fixed in the new ROMs.

It is an old GEMDOS problem, and it was fixed in an interim version of the
forthcoming ROMs. However, the fix has been backed out due to potentially
serious loss of data due to incompatibility problems when disks with the
extra 2K get used on systems with old ROMs. The Release Notes will have a
full explanation. The unused space amounts to a VERY small percentage of
available disk space, even on the lowest capacity floppy drive.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

juancho@dgp.toronto.edu (John Buchanan) (05/12/88)

In article <1058@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
>In article <2936@cognos.UUCP>, bdeskin@cognos.uucp (Bob Deskin) writes:
>> A week ago I posted a question about what happens to 2K when formatting a
>> floppy disk. [...deleted...]
>> I have since been told that this is an old GEMDOS bug where GEMDOS
>> "loses" 2K or 4 sectors. [...deleted...]
>> Can anyone confirm this bug (Atari???) and is it fixed in the new ROMs.
>
>It is an old GEMDOS problem, and it was fixed in an interim version of the
>forthcoming ROMs. However, the fix has been backed out due to potentially
>serious loss of data due to incompatibility problems when disks with the
	I for one would be pleased to reformat all my disks if you fix this.
I would not be to concerned about compatibility, rather more about
correctness.  After all if we were concerned with compatibility we would
still  be working with cards on a IBM machine.  (WHat a THOUght)

>Roy J. Good
	Keep up the good work.

| Typical conversation on comp.[atari|amiga|mac].*		    |
My watch is better than yours.  It has multitasking, windows and
plays Old macdonald has a farm.  I will not listen to reason, of
course your watch is not as good as mine, in fact you are
silly for having bought it.  Sell it and buy my kind.
   o /
   o \
John W. Buchanan                  Dynamic Graphics Project
               			  Computer Systems Research Institute
(416) 978-6619			  University of Toronto
juancho@dgp.toronto.edu
juancho@toronto.CSNET
{allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utdgp!juancho