[comp.sys.atari.st] AD&D Character Generator

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (05/08/88)

Paul Cisek of Spectral Fantasies is just finishing his AD&D character
generator for the Atari ST. This program will be ShareWare and I will
probably be posting it on comp.binaries.atari.st in two to three weeks.

The AD&D Character Generator covers all the rules in the AD&D game
spanning all the rule books including the Survival Guides. Every aspect
of the character is covered. The program features full use of GEM, a
full 3+ page character sheet printout, library functions, and is the
first in a series of compatible DM assistant programs. It is written in
Lazer C and will run on any Atari ST. (An Amiga version written by Tom
Mikalsen will also be available soon.)

--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (05/11/88)

That's all fine and well.
That's all just fine and well.

ANYBODY can write a D&D character generator program!  ANYBODY!  They can
even make it a darned good one!  I wrote one on my IBM PC in my SLEEP for
crying out loud!

What I'd really like to see is the source code (ANSI C preferrably) for a
character generator for CHAMPIONS(tm), the Super Hero Role-Playing Game.
Try writing one yourself some time!  It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to make a
Champions(tm) character generator that lets you use all the options.  Heck,
I don't even want to THINK about programming in options for Multipowers or
Variable Power Pools!  Anybody who could make one of these would earn my
award for Best Applications Programmer of the Year.
   Then everybody could create/alter the "printout.c" file to suit their
terminal, their printer, and their taste.
--
Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer
------------------------------------------|----------------------------

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (05/13/88)

In article <10265@stb.UUCP>, tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:
> ANYBODY can write a D&D character generator program!  ANYBODY!  They can
> even make it a darned good one!  I wrote one on my IBM PC in my SLEEP for
> crying out loud!
>
> What I'd really like to see is the source code (ANSI C preferrably) for a
> character generator for CHAMPIONS(tm), the Super Hero Role-Playing Game.

You're right, a Champions character generator would be more than
difficult to write. However, don't put down the AD&D Character
Generator. Note that its AD&D not D&D which if you ever looked at all
the possibilities and exceptions, especially through the rules
introduced in the Unearthed Arcana and the Survival Guides, you would
see that this is no easy feat. The SF AD&D Character Generator covers
EVERY aspect of making up the character (except the history, family,
etc...)

--

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (05/14/88)

In article <10265@stb.UUCP> tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:
>What I'd really like to see is the source code (ANSI C preferrably) for a
>character generator for CHAMPIONS(tm), the Super Hero Role-Playing Game.
>Try writing one yourself some time!  It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to make a
>Champions(tm) character generator that lets you use all the options.  Heck,
>I don't even want to THINK about programming in options for Multipowers or
>Variable Power Pools!  Anybody who could make one of these would earn my
>award for Best Applications Programmer of the Year.

Why bother?  Champions character generation was MADE for spreadsheet
packages.  I've made up a nice Excel template, with borders and boxes
everywhere, lots of room for explanatory comments, and most of all,
complete freedom to hack with the equations until you get what you
want.  Things like:  I have a Multipower set up with an END battery.
If I want to see what happens with a different-sized END battery, I
change *one* number, and the whole Multipower recalculates.  For
characteristics, I just type in how many points over/under the base
I want; it calculates derived stats (END, STUN, &c), calculates the
point cost, instantly.  And this is really really easy to do.

Heck, a spreadsheet is MADE to let you interconnect a bunch of equations
and play with them.  What could be more perfect for Champions?

>Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer
>"As of now I'm taking charge."     -- Alexander Haig
>"Megatron is down!  I am your new leader!"  -- Starscream

Rob Jellinghaus                | Robert Anson Heinlein
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |   1907-1988
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |   A man who touched many lives.
{y'all}!ihnp4!hsi!yale!robertj |   May we be worthy of his legacy.