[comp.sys.atari.st] Connecting ST and 8bit}i

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (05/03/88)

xDOR use my MX2 kernel to write the background task . I already have a
disk shareing network written for ST's that use the RS232 ports. You
would have to just port the driver over to the 8 bit machine. xD
If you need a copy of MX2 just write me at this address . It's PD.

}iFred Brooks
4145 44st #5
san diego ca 92105

It includes complete source code.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!fred
ARPA: crash!pnet01!fred@nosc.mil
INET: fred@pnet01.cts.com

rankinp@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Peter Rankin) (05/10/88)

In article <2907@crash.cts.com> Fred Brooks writes:

>xDOR use my MX2 kernel to write the background task . I already have a
>disk shareing network written for ST's that use the RS232 ports. You
>would have to just port the driver over to the 8 bit machine. xD
>If you need a copy of MX2 just write me at this address . It's PD.

Could you email a copy to me or post it to comp.binaries? I am sure there would
be a demand for it. Thanks.

Peter Rankin

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (05/12/88)

rankinp@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Peter Rankin) writes:
>In article <2907@crash.cts.com> Fred Brooks writes:
>
>>xDOR use my MX2 kernel to write the background task . I already have a
>>disk shareing network written for ST's that use the RS232 ports. You
>>would have to just port the driver over to the 8 bit machine. xD
>>If you need a copy of MX2 just write me at this address . It's PD.
>>

>Could you email a copy to me or post it to comp.binaries? I am sure there would
>be a demand for it. Thanks.
>
>Peter Rankin

I can't post here but if anyone want's a copy they can send a DS disk and a
S.A.S.E. with $2 to

Fred Brooks
4145 44st #5
San Diego CA 92105

Your will receive the complete Modula-2 source, and all binarys.

For the persons who have already used MX2 earlier versions I would like any
comments on bugs things to improve or programs that have caused problems.

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (05/15/88)

In article <2907@crash.cts.com> Fred Brooks writes:
>[...] use my MX2 kernel to write the background task . I already have a
>disk shareing network written for ST's that use the RS232 ports. You
>would have to just port the driver over to the 8 bit machine. xD
>If you need a copy of MX2 just write me at this address . It's PD.

What happens on your network when two users open a file and begin
writing to it?  Has anyone tried this with RTX?  This is the worst
nightmare of kludging a network onto a boneheaded system like TOS.
What physical connection do you use for your MX2 network - MIDI?

fred@pnet01.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (05/19/88)

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <2907@crash.cts.com> Fred Brooks writes:
>>[...] use my MX2 kernel to write the background task . I already have a
>>disk shareing network written for ST's that use the RS232 ports. You
>>would have to just port the driver over to the 8 bit machine. xD
>>If you need a copy of MX2 just write me at this address . It's PD.
>
>What happens on your network when two users open a file and begin
>writing to it?  Has anyone tried this with RTX?  This is the worst
>nightmare of kludging a network onto a boneheaded system like TOS.
>What physical connection do you use for your MX2 network - MIDI?

With out real file locking you would have to use lock files to control
access. I could easily add the code to GEMDOS to lock files down to the
byte but "is it reallyxD worth it?" Maybe on the next release I will add
file locking when a file is opened for W or R/W but i think it will cause
more problems that it's worth. As for the physical connection you can use
the MIDI or AUX port for the network.