[comp.sys.atari.st] Bugs in TOS

ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) (05/07/88)

Is there a list of the known bugs in TOS/GEM.  I am specifically interested
in those regarding hard drives.

Namely, recently, writes to my hard drive have become somewhat
unreliable.  Sometimes characters get scrambled, other times the file
turns out to have a zero size.

Is this a known problem or is my hard drive sick?

If it is a known problem, is there a patch for it?

I have a 1040ST with a Supra 20Mb.  I've made no modifications to
either the Atari or the Supra.

--
I do not speak for SCO, I barely have enough room for my own opinions.
"When there is no more room in the river, the trout shall walk the earth."

Eric Griswold |<help! i'm caught in the middle of a .signature>| ericg@sco.com

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (05/16/88)

In article <678@nod2sco> ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) writes:

>Namely, recently, writes to my hard drive have become somewhat
>unreliable.  Sometimes characters get scrambled, other times the file
>turns out to have a zero size.
>
>Is this a known problem or is my hard drive sick?
>I have a 1040ST with a Supra 20Mb.  I've made no modifications to
>either the Atari or the Supra.

I had a similar problem with my 520/1-Meg^ and Supra.  I first thought it was
my DMA extension cable (3 feet long), but when I hooked it up to a friend's
system, it worked perfectly.  (The test I used was rapid accesses to the HD
by reading, displaying, and writing picture files.)

The problem was a marginal DMA chip.  $35 for a new one cured my problem and
I haven't had any trouble since.
--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/20/88)

In article <3766@fluke.COM> jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) writes:
>The problem was a marginal DMA chip.  $35 for a new one cured my problem and
>I haven't had any trouble since.

Hmm, mabe a new socket, a gold plated one, would have done it 8-)
Atari likes to keep the price down with low quality socets, connectors,
keyboards, mice, support, ...

keep repairing (like I do).
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
I think, you may be right in what I think you're thinking. (Douglas Adams)