[comp.sys.atari.st] monochrome games

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (12/07/86)

Most games are color-only, regardless of what they say on the box.

I only know about a few games.

Silent Service runs on mono systems (it has an irritating copy-protection
method)

Lands of Havok (really boring) runs on mono systems.

Someone on the net said that starglider ran on mono systems.  I tried to
boot a dealer's copy, and got bomb characters.

Flight Simulator is reported to say color or mono on the box, but allegedly
only works on color systems.

The krabat chess game and the puzzle game that I posted only work on mono
systems.  Much of the European software is like this.

Terrell

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (12/09/86)

Eric Terrell <terrell@ohio-state.ARPA> writes:

> Someone on the net said that starglider ran on mono systems.  I tried to
> boot a dealer's copy, and got bomb characters.

I have Starglider, and it works perfectly in monochrome.  Your
dealer must have had a bad disk (or maybe an older version??)

> Flight Simulator is reported to say color or mono on the box, but allegedly
> only works on color systems.

The currently shipped version is color only.  However, a friend
of mine called Sublogic, and was told that a monochrome version
will ship in January.

> The krabat chess game and the puzzle game that I posted only work on mono
> systems.  Much of the European software is like this.

In Europe, >80% of systems sold are monochrome, precisely the
reverse of the U.S.

MCOHAN%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA           MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET
MIKECOHAN on Delphi

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.

gordon@reading.UUCP (12/09/86)

In article <8612070231.AA24256@ohio-state.ARPA> terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) writes:

>Most games are color-only, regardless of what they say on the box.
>
>Someone on the net said that starglider ran on mono systems.  I tried to
>boot a dealer's copy, and got bomb characters.

My copy runs nicely in monochrome - though its harder to identify other objects
- particularly on the long range scanner.

Also PSION chess runs in mono or colour, as does The PAWN, HIPPO BACKGAMMON,
Black Cauldron, Crystal Castle (when it is actualy released - I used it at
the PCW show and it seemed finished to me), Psygnosis Bratacus,

I'd send a fuller list but I can't remember it all and can't look as my stuff
has been sent home for the University xmas break - I'll try to compile
a fuller one next term if people are interested.

Simon Gordon@sage@reading university - england

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (12/10/86)

According to the local dealer here, monochrome sales are the rule!
(But then this is a university town, with a disproportionate fraction
of the buyers using the machines as terminals and for programming.)

BTW: HBASIC, now to be called DBASIC, is coming soon, and for cheap!
(It is an incrementally compiled edit/run language/environment, with
an emphasis on performance, not compatibility.  Disk and FP speeds
are optimized too, but there is no GEMDOS nor IEEE conformity.)

(I have no affiliation with Digital Acoustics, the company producing DBASIC.)

- Moshe Braner

#FJMORA@WMMVS.BITNET (05/25/88)

Hi folks,

In Info-Atari16 Digest   Monday, May 23, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 263,
Gareth Husk writes:

>Okay folks I have a little request. I have got a little fed-up
>trying to find the odd arcade game that will run on a hi-res
>monitor.
>
>So can any of you out there give me some information, plus a
>rating &c. None of the mags in this country gives the necessary
>info. Frequently neither does the packaging.
>
>This seems particularly studip to me as Atari claimed somewhere
>that most of their european users had hi-res rather than colour.

Very true. For this reason, a lot of european games are working in
both resolutions. For example, all the Firebird and Rainbird games
I know are working in monochrome and color (both companies are
subsidiaries of the british telecoms, I think):

- The Pawn         (adv. game, great graphics, funny plot, great parser)
- Guild of Thieves (same as above but even better)
- Tracker          (good strategy game)
- Starglider       (greatest 3D arcade game with some thinking too after 1st
                    level)

And here in the US, Sublogic made Flight Simulator II for both rez,
and good ol' Silent Service works fine too with B&W.
On Genie you can get a Public Domain clone of Lode Runner for
monochrome only (sweet revenge!), and this implementation is great!

Something missing on the ST is a hardware to see a color image with a
monochrome monitor (i.e a chip doing the same  thing than some recent
softwares). But I will glady swap this chip for a good blitter.

I hope this will help to hamper your productivity :-)

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              BITNET:
     The College of William and Mary            #fjmora%wmmvs.bitnet
     Dept. of Computer Science
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185
     USA

     * "Was uns nicht vertoetet, verstaerkt uns."                             *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *

-