[comp.sys.atari.st] VIRUS ALERT !!!!!

GASPARD@HROEUR5.BITNET (05/27/88)

Hi there,
I've just got a phone-call from de dutch distributor of GFA-BASIC.
There is a book called GFA-BASIC 3.0 with has a disk inside.
This disk is infected by a 'boot'-virus.
You can kill it with the standard viruskillers.
You can also bring it back to the place where you bought it.

NOTE:  It is NOT the disk with the BASIC interpreter (3.0).
       That one is allright.

The book is written in German by: G.P. Engels & M.C. Gorgens.
ISBN-3-89317-004-9

I thank GFA-System-technik for letting us know. They could keep it quit if they
like, but the didn't. That's sportive.

Bert Rozenberg
Dutch ST-foundation.
 Exit

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (05/27/88)

In article <8805261722.AA27626@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GASPARD@HROEUR5.BITNET writes:
...[edited]...
>I've just got a phone-call from de dutch distributor of GFA-BASIC.
>There is a book called GFA-BASIC 3.0 with has a disk inside.
>This disk is infected by a 'boot'-virus.
>You can kill it with the standard viruskillers.
>You can also bring it back to the place where you bought it.
>
>NOTE:  It is NOT the disk with the BASIC interpreter (3.0).
>       That one is allright.
>
>The book is written in German by: G.P. Engels & M.C. Gorgens.
>ISBN-3-89317-004-9

Seems like just a few weeks ago, there was a net discussion of liability
of a commercial vendor if a virus was found on a commercial distribution.
Someone's crystal ball was tuned in quite clearly!

If someone will reproduce this disk, and mail me a copy, I'll add this
virus to the detect-and-kill capabilities for the next posting of the
virus killer.

  George R. Woodside
  5219 San Feliciano Drive
  Woodland Hills, Ca. 91364  USA

Thank you.

.Food
.Food
.Food

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA