[comp.sys.atari.st] Viruses on the st

coffey@sdsu.UUCP (Pat Coffey) (05/28/88)

I have been reading about all these horrible viruses and have been concerned
about my system.  What happens if a virus gets onto your hard disk?  I
have heard of a program called penicilin -- where does one obtain it?

I would appreciate it if someone could send some anti viral programs
to the net.
                                Pat Coffey

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (05/31/88)

In article <3036@sdsu.UUCP> coffey@sdsu.UUCP (Pat Coffey) writes:
>I have been reading about all these horrible viruses and have been concerned
>about my system.  What happens if a virus gets onto your hard disk?

So far, none of the virus programs I've encountered attack a hard disk.
that doesn't mean that they won't, eventually. The only thing you can do is
back up your hard disk frequently, and be careful of new software. Be
especially careful of anything you receive on a disk (From friends, user
groups, P/D distributors, etc.) You should keep one known-to-be-clean
disk around, and always have that disk in your drive when you power the
system up or press reset. And keep your disks in write protect mode
unless you have to write to them.

>I have heard of a program called penicilin -- where does one obtain it?

I posted it here a few weeks ago. It is also on GEnie and Compuserve.

>I would appreciate it if someone could send some anti viral programs
>to the net.
>                                Pat Coffey

Patience, please. The new one is about 48 hours from being posted. I just
have to get the monochrome version working, and get someone else to test it.
I think it does everything just dandy, but I wrote it, so I'm not too
objective. It attempts to be a useable tool for anyone with an ST. You
don't have to know how a disk is utilized, how a virus works, or even
what a virus is to use the new program. It will detect the virus programs
I've received so far, warn you if they are present, warn you if there is
a virus working in your system when the program is running, clean up disks,
and everything else I could think of. So far, though, the automatic
fix-dinner-and-get-me-a-cold-beer subroutine keeps crashing :^).

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA