[comp.sys.atari.st] Arcade Games for High Res Monitor

gareth@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Gareth Husk) (05/19/88)

Okay folks I have a little request. I have got a little fed-up
trying to find the odd arcade game that will run on a hi-res
monitor.

So can any of you out there give me some information, plus a
rating &c. None of the mags in this country gives the necessary
info. Frequently neither does the packaging.

This seems particularly studip to me as Atari claimed somewhere
that most of their european users had hi-res rather than colour.

Anyway mail me the info and i'll summarise if others want to see
it. Myself I just want something to do when my mind won't handle
the thesis anymore.

Gareth
--
" I am a doughnut "  JFK

UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!gareth
DARPA: gareth%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	  JANET: gareth@uk.ac.lancs.comp

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (05/22/88)

In article <507@dcl-csvax.comp.lancs.ac.uk>, gareth@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Gareth Husk) writes:

> Okay folks I have a little request. I have got a little fed-up
> trying to find the odd arcade game that will run on a hi-res
> monitor.
>
> [...]
> rating &c. None of the mags in this country gives the necessary
> info. Frequently neither does the packaging.
> [...]
> Gareth
> --
> " I am a doughnut "  JFK
	^ Im wirklichkeit? Ich auch...

	I have no idea as to the volume of software sold via dealers vs.
Mail Order in Europe, but if I'm in doubt, I'll pay the extra $$$ that the
dealer charges to see whether or not the game (or anything else, for that
matter) is worth getting - it would seem that this would be a, uh, viable
way to find out if it ran in Mono...

	Jason
"Not your average iconoclast"

jpexg@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (05/24/88)

(Gareth Husk) writes:

> Okay folks I have a little request. I have got a little fed-up
> trying to find the odd arcade game that will run on a hi-res
> monitor.
>
> So can any of you out there give me some information, plus a
> rating &c. None of the mags in this country gives the necessary
> info. Frequently neither does the packaging.
>
> This seems particularly stupid to me as Atari claimed somewhere
> that most of their european users had hi-res rather than colour.

This is a constant problem for anyone who owns a mono-only system; people
who control software (publishers, and bbs sysops) just refuse to take
seriously the fact that not everyone owns a color system. Hence, you waste
time downloading that fun-looking program, and treat yourself to a fine
display of bomblets. I've asked the Boston Computer Society's Atari-group
sysop to indicate monitor requirements in the listing of downloadable files,
with no success; that this also happens with software you have to pay for is
ridiculous.

It shouldn't be so bad in Europe, where most systems are said to be mono (in
the US it's substantially the other way--except among programmers?) At least
the net archivers here understand computers well enough to put all the relevant
information at the head of a program file.

"chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM (05/26/88)

In his 24 May 88 04:34:43 GMT John Purbrick writes:

>It shouldn't be so bad in Europe, where most systems are said to be mono...<

[hollow laughter]

I'm the only person I know with a hi-res ST. Most people seem to plug theirs
into the back of the telly.

I've got one game, and it's Balance of Power. Brilliant game, and well worth the
money, but, having run the ST as mid-res for a week or two, I certainly know
what I'm missing -though Star Wars is still not really an acceptable substitute
for Star Raiders, and it wrecked my mouse.

Nobody here seems to write games for the hi-res ST - which rather surprises me;
I'd have thought someone might have tried porting Mac (spit) games by now. BoP
appears to have originally been written for the Mac (spit).

Since I'm clearly stuck with it, can anyone recommend a spreadsheet system? I'd
like it to be compatible with 1st Word Plus, if at all possible (sigh).

I suppose I should rig a monitor switch and a modulator so that I can plug it
into the back of MY telly. I thought I was through with all that....

Regards,

Chaz
Star Raiders Ace Class II

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (06/01/88)

In article <880526-022112-1960@Xerox>, "chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:
> In his 24 May 88 04:34:43 GMT John Purbrick writes:
> >It shouldn't be so bad in Europe, where most systems are said to be mono...<
> [hollow laughter]
> I'm the only person I know with a hi-res ST. Most people seem to plug theirs
> into the back of the telly.

We have about +20 1040's here @ AU; I have the only colour monitor.  The
rationale for getting it (besides "Ross likes toys") was that nobody had
one, and what was it like?  Also, to try writing stuff that would work
properly on both types of monitors.

The dealer I usually work through when purchasing stuff also seems to mostly
sell mono systems - the price difference seems to be part of it, and
also the fact that they are the kind of Atari dealer who also sell Un*x
boxes, and know whereof they speak when they do sell them.  Don't see many
atari dealers like that, though - most try to sell me games (yawn).

Ross Alexander @ Athabasca University
<theknownworld>!alberta!auvax!rwa