[comp.sys.atari.st] ST-UNIX sh.prg

cochrane@spot.Colorado.EDU (COCHRANE JIM T) (05/31/88)

Has anyone figured out how to use sh in the newly posted ST-UNIX
utilities (comp.binaries.st) by Andrew Smith and Steve Ashcroft.
The main problems I'm having with it are:

	1. I can't seem to set PATH to multiple paths, i.e.:
		PATH=a:\bin:b:\bin
		It only finds files if the path is a single directory
		i.e.: PATH=b:\bin

	2. I can't get it to read and execute a shell script; if I
		type something like: cmdfl
		where "cmdfl" is a shell script which is either in
		the current directory or in the (single directory)
		path, sh will reply:
		cmdfl not found
		It will execute commands such as for, if, while
		interactively.  (It will also execute *.prg or
		*.tos files with no problem.)

Has anyone been able to get this to work; or if it's a bug, has anyone
been able to figure out some other way to do it?  It seems strange that
it would have these problems since these are two of the most important
functions performed by the Bourne shell.  Also if anyone has been able
to get it to read in its environmental variables upon startup, I would
appreciate hearing about how that's done too.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on this.

Jim Cochrane

cochrane@spot.colorado.EDU

mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) (05/31/88)

	I too am having the same problems, i.e. it will not source script
files, will not set path properly, and there seems to be no way to source a
file on startup.  It also crashes frequently (usually after a cd, two bombs).
The utilities (as far as I have seen) seem to work fine.  The toolkit on the
whole has much potential, but without a working shell it's virtually useless.
Can someone (authors?) please straighten out this mess?
--
Mark A. Storin
Lake Systems, Milw., WI

leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) (06/01/88)

In article <6383@sigi.Colorado.EDU> cochrane@spot.Colorado.EDU (COCHRANE JIM T) writes:
>Has anyone figured out how to use sh in the newly posted ST-UNIX
>utilities (comp.binaries.st) by Andrew Smith and Steve Ashcroft.
>The main problems I'm having with it are:
>	1. I can't seem to set PATH to multiple paths, i.e.:
>		PATH=a:\bin:b:\bin
>		It only finds files if the path is a single directory
>		i.e.: PATH=b:\bin
	I had a little luck using msh and mt-csh style paths, separated
	by comments rather than colons... I also used MemFile! to edit the
	executable to get rid of the 'D:' drive specifier. That helped.

>	2. I can't get it to read and execute a shell script; if I
>		type something like: cmdfl
>		where "cmdfl" is a shell script which is either in
>		the current directory or in the (single directory)
>		path, sh will reply:
	I was trying to get it to de-shar some files with no success. This
	is essentially all I want sh for, and it won't work for me, either.
	It seems to bomb on comment lines, too...

	My intention is to order the sources for it as soon as the stuff I
	ordered form Beckemeyer comes through, then work on it in my (hah!)
	spare time. I think I'd like a bourne shell just to de-shar things.
	Other than that, it should be a fun way to figure out how to use
	SDS. Some of the utils are things I actually didn't get with MWC
	or MT C-shell, but most of them are already here.
===
Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213-1412 (716)883-7573
(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (06/02/88)

In article <715@lakesys.UUCP> mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) writes:

>The utilities (as far as I have seen) seem to work fine.  The toolkit on the
>whole has much potential, but without a working shell it's virtually useless.

I agree.
I think that the Gulam shell works well with these utilities, and
has the flexibility that allows you to make your environment the way
you like it... aliases, sets, scripts, prompt, and so on.  I found
that I prefer "more14" to the one built in to Gulam, so I use that.

I found that in the Toolkit by Andrew Smith and Steve Ashcroft,
there are some things that I am interested in.  I have not tried all of
them yet, but I intend to.  I will pick out things that I like, give
them an alias in the Gulam shell, and use them.

There are several people who are doing great work to make the ST
a more productive environment in which to work:

The four who come to the top of my list are

	Prabhaker Mateti and Jwahar Bammi, both of
	Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland Ohio

	Andrew Smith and Steve Ashcroft, both (I think) of
	Kings College, University of London.

Some of you may not have not heard much from Mr. Bammi recently...
I think (hope) he is writing his thesis.

Others who are among my favorites are

	Moshe Braner (RAMDISK, IDLE12, SCACHE)
	Tod Burkey (DISKSCAN)
	Jean-Pierre Dumas (UUD, UUE)
	Houston club? (DCCLOCK)
	Simon Poole (UNITERM)
	Roland Waldi (VOL)
	George Woodside (TURTLE, PENICILN)

--
   Prof. L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET