[comp.sys.atari.st] Gauntlet on the ST

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (06/02/88)

In article <680@leah.Albany.Edu>,
 jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:

> Gauntlet has been out on the ST and is a VERY good version of the arcade
> game. I especially like the way the sound was done. It was digitized
> from the video game, so your Atari sounds quite unlike the usual.

I beg to disagree. Gauntlet, in general, is a vastly overrated game which is
basically the old 'Zombies' game (you know, nasties that home in on you by
simple X-your X, Y-your Y algorithm) with a bit of shooting and magic potions
thrown in.
   Gauntlet on the Atari ST was a DISASTER. The sound effects were so poorly
digitised that you couldn't tell and the SCROLLING...well, no comment.
Although I think Gauntlet is a complete and utter waste of time, try Garrison
or Garrison II on the Amiga to see what a PROPER conversion should look like
(and even Garrison is extremely boring - not even the Amiga can enliven what
was a dud game concept to start with).

Richard K. Lloyd,       ****** This is a VAX 11/780 running VAX/VMS V4.5 ******
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,   * UUCP      : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQRKL *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *

"My opinions and those of the University of Liverpool are completely unrelated,
so I'M THE CULPRIT if you feel offended by the above message - I just can't
help moaning about Atari STs, PCs or clones, U**X, C, IBM mainframes, the list
is endless..."