[comp.sys.atari.st] resource files

rgoodman@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Ron Carl Goodman) (01/06/87)

In order to get menu items and dialog boxes, ABACUS's Vol#3 (GEM reference)
says you must use resource files (usually .RSC files).  But how do you make
these files?  They are obviously not typeinable.  I read somewhere about a
resource file generating program that comes with the developers kit and one
on the market for $50.  Is there anything in the public domain?  How are people
doing this?

Ron Goodman
-----------
rgoodman@cit-vax.arpa     rgoodman@cit-vax.bitnet    rgoodman@cit-vax.uucp

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (01/06/87)

.rsc files are not always necessary.  I know that one can get menus and
dialog boxes in OSS Pascal without them.

Terrell

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (01/08/87)

rgoodman@csvax.caltech.edu  (Ron Carl Goodman) writes:

> In order to get menu items and dialog boxes, ABACUS's Vol#3 (GEM reference)
> says you must use resource files (usually .RSC files).  But how do you make
> these files?  They are obviously not typeinable.  I read somewhere about a
> resource file generating program that comes with the developers kit and one
> on the market for $50.  Is there anything in the public domain?  How are peopl
> doing this?

You do not HAVE to use a resource file to get menus and dialog boxes and so
forth.  There are commands in GEM that let you build object trees (the
data structures used to describe menus etc.) dynamically within your
program.  However, this is such a royal pain to program that a resource
construction set is almost a requirement.  Basically, it lets you lay out
your dialogs, menus and so on on the screen, then generates a file
containing the data structures GEM needs to display and use the objects.
This is the resource file.  The developers kit comes with such a program,
as does Megamax C.  If you just want a R.C.S. by itself (for use with
Personal Pascal, for instance), there is one that I am aware of.  It's
listed in the catalog in the February issue of Antic for $50.  It's called
K-Resource, by Kuma Computers of the UK.  I have never used this program.
Does anyone out there have any experience with it?  Is it any good?

Michael P. Cohan   MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET   Mikecohan on Delphi

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (01/09/87)

I've only played with K-Resource a bit, so if there are any obscure bugs I
won't have noticed them.  However, insofar as I have used it, my impression
is that the software is fine, and fairly easy to use once you've sussed it
out.  The documentation (I use the word loosely) is fairly patchy and
haphazard, so that some experimenting is required to work out how to do
things initially -- though there is a step-by-step 'example' provided which
covers the most common sort of cases.  Experimenting isn't too hard, because
the interface is primarily by windows, icons, and mouse, and so most things
you'd want to do are fairly obvious, especially once you've found them once.

It will make resource files and header/include files for your choice of 4
languages, which include FORTRAN and C -- I'm pretty sure the other two
are Pascal and Modula-2, but not positive, so if you need something other
than FORTRAN or C, check first before you buy.

It does *not* produce a source-level form of the resource file itself, so
that (for example) the 'rcsfix' technology posted some months ago for
incorporating your RSC file into your program won't work.  It produces
an 'object' RSC file, the required include file, and allegedly a third
file in a form such that it can be massaged by privately written tools, which
I haven't puzzled out.

(I have no connection with Kuma, other than wishing they'd buy themselves
a qualified tech writer.)

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) (01/09/87)

In article <8701061803.AA03547@ohio-state.ARPA> terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) writes:

>.rsc files are not always necessary.  I know that one can get menus and
>dialog boxes in OSS Pascal without them.

There are ways of creating the .RSC files and then combining them into
the .PRG program file.  TDI/Modula-2 has this feature, and there exist
various programs, some of which have been posted, which let you do this.

All the variants I have seen work with the source code, but it appears
that some users have been able to take binaries and still embed the RSC
files in them -- clever trick, that!

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) (01/14/87)

The only good reason for embedding a resource file in a program is when
writing a DA. The resource manager apparently doesn't free memory properly
when closing a resource file, so you're apparently advised not to load
resources dynamically. I wouldn't know--I've never written a DA.

However, embedded resources can't be easily changed; if you want to modify
resources, you have to re-edit the resource file and re-embed.  I can't see
how it's worth the effort.

In any case, separate .RSC files are a real win. You can easily distribute
different RSC files for one program (thus supporting various monitor
resolutions, or different languages for example).

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (06/02/88)

I have noticed a few programs lately that have made use of ".rsc"
files.  These programs sometimes have with them a second program which
is used to  "CONFIGURE"  the resource file.

Sometimes these resource files use a clever encoding scheme that
compresses an already small quantity of information into as few bits as
possible.  Maybe even getting everything into a small number of bytes.

In some instances, this strikes me as ludicrous, since it seems that
every file takes a minimum of 1K anyway.  Why not store the desired
information in "cleartext", perhaps even with a few keywords, and allow
the user use an editor to create and/or modify the input data file?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (06/03/88)

In article <1609@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
> ... resource files use a clever encoding scheme that compresses an
> already small quantity of information.  This strikes me as ludicrous,
> since it seems that every file takes a minimum of 1K anyway.  Why not
> store the desired information in "cleartext", perhaps even with a few
> keywords, and allow the user use an editor to create and/or modify the
> input data file?

But, in many cases, these resource files are created with a resource
editor, and the use has no control over the internal format. Although
I haven't needed to create one, I believe there is a standard way to
lay out a GEM resource file. It contains a tree structure describing
the GEM data the program will used, such as dialogue boxes, menus,
etc.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels