[comp.sys.atari.st] Batch processing from GEM desktop?

jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) (05/20/88)

Is there any way to use the equivalent of a batch file from the GEM
desktop to allow the sequential execution of multiple programs simply
by double clicking on a file icon?

John Altendorf                   	...!hplabs!hp-pcd!jma

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (05/22/88)

In article <3300004@hpcvmb.HP>, jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) writes:
> Is there any way to use the equivalent of a batch file from the GEM
> desktop to allow the sequential execution of multiple programs simply
> by double clicking on a file icon?
>
> John Altendorf                   	...!hplabs!hp-pcd!jma

	The standard GEM desktop (I don't think that the desktop alternative
I saw advertised does either) will NOT do batch files. The reason is simple:
The desktop interprets clicks & such, not text. One possible way of doing what
you're talking about is to install a specific extender(s) (".SH", or ".BAT", I
dunno) into a shell.

	Jason
"Not your average iconoclast"

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/24/88)

In article <3300004@hpcvmb.HP> jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) writes:
>Is there any way to use the equivalent of a batch file from the GEM
>desktop to allow the sequential execution of multiple programs simply
>by double clicking on a file icon?

Sure.  Write yourself a command interpreter.  Call it "batch.ttp".
Install this as a "TTP" type application, with file type of "bat".
Create your script of batch commands for this processor to read using
any text editor; call the result "file.bat".  Double-clicking on
"file.bat" will launch "batch.ttp" with "file.bat" as a command-line
argument.  Your batch program then parses its input file, pexec'ing
the programs named therein.  When each command completes in turn, it
reads the next line and repeats, until end of file, at which time it
exits.

"batch.ttp" shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to write and
debug.

Greg Wageman             	ARPA: greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:  gwage
1601 Technology Drive     	CIS:  74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110        	GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198            	UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
------------------
The opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author.

jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) (05/25/88)

I know how to get the task done from a shell (MWC msh).  My question is
can it be done from the GEM desktop?  (I want to make it available to
those users in my house that only know how to work from the desktop!)

John Altendorf

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (05/25/88)

In article <3300004@hpcvmb.HP> jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) writes:
>Is there any way to use the equivalent of a batch file

yes.

>from the GEM desktop

Probably not.

> to allow the sequential execution of multiple programs simply
> by double clicking on a file icon?

I use GULAM and have a number of little GULAM scripts that make things
easier for me.  For instance one that I use at startup ( gulam.g ) sets
my favorite aliases and copies some of my frequently used programs to
my Ramdisk.  GULAM is available from a couple of file servers, I think.

OK?

--
   Prof. L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

darin_wayrynen@pedro.UUCP (Darin Wayrynen) (05/29/88)

There are several public domain shell programs that accept batch files.  To
get a batch file to work from the desktop you would have to install the
application
in the install application part of the desktop.  Then when you double click on
the shell's batch file the desktop will automatically run the shell and then
the
shell would load the batch file and execute it.

How's the weather in Corvallis?  I miss it since I left two months ago! :-(

mzyla@dasys1.UUCP (Martin Zyla) (05/31/88)

In article <3300004@hpcvmb.HP> jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) writes:
>Is there any way to use the equivalent of a batch file from the GEM
>desktop to allow the sequential execution of multiple programs simply
>by double clicking on a file icon?
>
>John Altendorf                   	...!hplabs!hp-pcd!jma

Check out 'Neodesk' from Gribnif Software...an alternative desktop that
totally replaces the existing one. It handles batch files among many other
things (and I mean MANY other things). It's most obvious drawback is that
it eats up approximately 145K but it covers enough ground that you would
most likely be able to eliminate most of your accessories. I own the
program but cannot give you much detail on the batch file function because
I haven't had enough time lately to take a good look at it..

Good luck, Martin Zyla  mzyla@dasys1.UUCP
.

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (06/04/88)

In article <3300006@hpcvmb.HP> jma@hpcvmb.HP (John Altendorf) writes:
>I know how to get the task done from a shell (MWC msh).  My question is
>can it be done from the GEM desktop?  (I want to make it available to
>those users in my house that only know how to work from the desktop!)
>
>John Altendorf

Some reactions on John's question involved creating a batch file processing
program, something like BATCH.TTP and using the Install Application from
the Desktop to mark .BAT files as to be read and interpreted by BATCH.TTP.
I think a good batch file processor should also provide for parameter
substitution (like the $1, $2, $* etc. parameters of the shell, or %1 from
MS-DOS). It would have been nice if the Desktop supplied the arguments line
itself for the parameters (seeing that a .TTP program was involved), but
this is not the case (I think because you already have the batch file name
as a first argument for the batch program). Perhaps the BATCH.TTP should
scan the batch file for positional parameters and supply an arguments line
to be filled in by the user if it had any.

	Leo.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (06/08/88)

in article <493@philmds.UUCP>, leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) says:

> [...] Perhaps the BATCH.TTP should
> scan the batch file for positional parameters and supply an arguments line
> to be filled in by the user if it had any.
>
> 	Leo.

  Jefferson Software put out a program called RUN with version 1.0 of the
JS Modula system that did just that.  Its companion program "COMMAND" could
be used with it for a simple batch facility from the desktop.  RUN prompted
for a command line when it was run.  It also set up the environment, etc,
from parameters supplied in the file that launched it (a *.RUN file).

  I haven't heard of anyone using it extensively, but it seems to me that
program would be a very simple way to accomplish flag and environment
setting to do things from the desktop.  When I was working on JS Modula
V1.0 libraries I used RUN extensively, it made development on a stock
520ST considerably less painful ;-).

  Ken Badertscher             | Opinions expressed above should be
  Atari Software Test/Support | expressly considered my own expressions.
  kbad@atari.UUCP