[comp.sys.atari.st] Arcade games on the ST

Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (05/01/88)

Well I guess my machine is more of a business computer than most :-).
Everyone says that they have a lot of games for their Atari.  Well I
only have 3 (plus about 4 PD ones and a few I have programmed).  The
reason I don't have too many is because I like arcade action games, not
text adventure games (which seem to be the most common type).  I would
like to see Atari (arcade games division) get together with Atari
(computer division) and program some of their arcade games for the ST.
I have played two fairly new games in the arcade by Atari, and they are
excellent.  They are Roadblasters, and Blasteroids.  These games are
very realistic in control response (at least they seem to be, I mean I
really dont know how it feels to control a spaceship shooting asteroids
:-) ).  Blasteroids is like a modern version (and much improved version)
of Asteroids.  Roadblasters is like Pole Position, except you shoot your
apponents.  These games have the most astounding resolution, sound, and
controls.  I know it would be impossible to program these games for the
2600, because it is too limited, but the ST might just have enough power
for a very good reproduction.  I hope Atari would change its mind about
not making games for the ST (after all, they
 already made a few games for the ST, and Atari is the best arcade game
manufacturer).  Oh well enough said, I just hope Atari is listening.  I
really don't see why they won't make just a few games, I don't think
that would change the way anyone feels about the computer as far as
being for games only.

Aric Friesen

P.S.

Sometimes people ask, "If you knew when you bought your Atari, what you
know now, would you have bought it?

My answer is YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!  I love my Atari!!!!!!

Addresses:  Genie:  A.FRIESEN ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

"Exterminate!  Exterminate!"--Daleks

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/04/88)

In article <880501041352.036351@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA writes:

>Well I guess my machine is more of a business computer than most :-).
>Everyone says that they have a lot of games for their Atari.  Well I
>only have 3 (plus about 4 PD ones and a few I have programmed).  The
>reason I don't have too many is because I like arcade action games, not
>text adventure games (which seem to be the most common type).
>
> [stuff re Atari Video marriage with Atari Computer deleted...]

There are some excellent video games for the ST.  Atari's own Star
Raiders has been updated and enhanced to take advantage of the
graphics capabilities of the ST.  It has the feel of the original with
lots of pretty little touches added, like multiple simulated "computer
displays" within the main window...

>Sometimes people ask, "If you knew when you bought your Atari, what you
>know now, would you have bought it?
>
>My answer is YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!  I love my Atari!!!!!!

Well, this brings up an excellent point: why did YOU buy this machine?

Mr. Beckemeyer apparently chose the machine because it was the
fastest, cheapest 68000 box around and he intended to concentrate on
that aspect of it; unfortunately in his enthusiasm or niavete he
either overlooked the machine's designed-in limitations (no external
bus connections, buggy OS ROMS), or underestimated their impact on the
power of the machine.  Now he bemoans the fact the Atari is slow in
fixing things.  Did Atari hold a gun to your head, and force you to
develop for their machine, Mr. Beckemeyer?  It was your choice.  If it
was a bad one, then move on.  No one likes sour grapes.

I chose the machine for several reasons.  I had been working with an
S-100 bus system based on a Z80-A computer, running CP/M 2.2.  I was
tired of hitting the limits of the Z80's speed and memory.  The
graphics board I had was limited to 265 x 192 resolution with a fixed
palette of 16 colors (based on the TI9918A chip).  I could see the
possibilities with more speed, more memory, better graphics.

Then, along come both the Amiga and Atari.  Both are based on 68000's,
with its large linear address space, rational register architecture
and instruction set.  The Atari is available, stock with a MEGAbyte of
memory (ye gods!  How could I EVER fill that up? :-).  The screen
resolutions are nearly double what I had.  The prices are within my
budget.  Now, how to choose?

At the time (about two years ago), all the talk on the Amiga side was
about how buggy the operating system is, how slow the file management
is, what a pain Kickstart is, etc.  So I bought Atari.  Now, to my
sardonic amusement, all the talk in Atariland is about how buggy TOS
is, how slow FAT searching is, where is the blitter, etc!  And
Amigaland?  Well, they get their OS updates on disk, so they're WAY
ahead of where they were 2 years ago!  So knowing what I know now, I
would probably buy an Amiga, maybe... except that there have been a
number of EXCELLENT software packages published exclusivly for the
Atari, such as Antic Publishing's Cyber Studio.  This stuff is EXACTLY
what I wanted the computer for.

Personally, I haven't found any of the TOS bugs fatal; except that I
don't have a hard disk so I stand to loose less than others.  I don't
mind that the floppies aren't as fast as they could be, since they
hold 1/3 more data (800K vs. 600K) than my 8" floppies, in a fraction
of the space.  I do wish Atari would release new ROMS, and a blitter
mod for the 1040, but I never had a blitter before (hell, I had to
write my own graphics routines from the SET/GET PIXEL level on up!).
I guess I can live without one for a while longer...

P.S. Apologies to Mr. Beckemeyer if I have misspelled your name.  I do
not have your posting in front of me.  If I have, and it makes you
feel any better, feel free to misspell mine.

Greg Wageman               ARPA: greg%sentry@spar.slb.com    | To err is human; to
Schlumberger Technologies  BIX:  gwage			     | REALLY screw things
1601 Technology Drive      CIS:  74016,352		     | up requires a
San Jose, CA 95110         GEnie: GWAGEMAN		     | computer.
(408) 437-5198             UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg |
------------------
The opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author.

wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) (05/05/88)

In a previous posting on the subject, someone mentioned an updated version of
Star Raiders for the ST.  Does this version work in monochrome?

My reason for posting this message is to express my amusement:  Here we have
Atari Corp. who has marketed a single computer for which a software developer
has to develop TWO distinct versions of a game if he/she wishes to have them
run on both colour AND monochrome.  But does Atari set a good example by doing
exactly that with its arcade-style games?  Apparantly not.  The first version
of Star Raiders at least did not run in monochrome.  Atari apparently expects
other developers to go through the extra trouble but doesn't do so itself.

The only publisher of Atari ST games to have undergone that "extra effort"
(as far as I know) seems to be RainBird/Firebird.  Their "StarGlider",
"Tracker", etc. games all work fine in monochrome.  Since I only own a mono
chrome system, I would like to commend them for their efforts (btw, I have
no affiliation with this publisher -- I'm just a satisfied user.)

Maybe in the future we will see other companies taking that extra step in
developing their games?  Perhaps they already do in Europe? (since there,
monochrome systems are much more common than in the US)

Tom Wolf
Arpa:  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu
         tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu

Tom Wolf
ARPA (I think): tw@cscosl.ncsu.edu
          or  wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu

rgn@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Norris) (05/05/88)

In article <1786@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, wolf@csclea.ncsu.edu (Thomas Wolf) writes:
> In a previous posting on the subject, someone mentioned an updated version of
> Star Raiders for the ST.  Does this version work in monochrome?
>
> My reason for posting this message is to express my amusement:  Here we have
> Atari Corp. who has marketed a single computer for which a software developer
> has to develop TWO distinct versions of a game if he/she wishes to have them
> run on both colour AND monochrome.  But does Atari set a good example by doing
> exactly that with its arcade-style games?  Apparantly not.  The first version
> of Star Raiders at least did not run in monochrome.  Atari apparently expects
> other developers to go through the extra trouble but doesn't do so itself.

[ some stuff deleted ]

The developers kit that I bought back in early '86 even had
a letter enclosed urging developers to write resolution independent
software.

When Star Raiders became available I ordered it without checking
to make sure it ran on a monochrome system, and was very dissapointed
when it arrived and I couldn`t use it.

Anyway, I have both monitors now, so hopefully I have all the
bases covered! :-)

Rob

--
Rob Norris
Dept. of Math Sciences	   UUCP:      ...!mcnc!ecsvax!rgn

knutsen@athos.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (05/05/88)

In article <880501041352.036351@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA> Friesen@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA writes:

> like to see Atari (arcade games division) get together with Atari
> (computer division) and program some of their arcade games for the ST.

Atari Games is a subsidiary of Warner Communications.  Atari Corp is a
computer company, sold by Warner to the Tramiels several years ago.
The two companies, therefore, are totally distinct (they do not have
the same corporate parent, in fact, Atari Corp is public), and neither
really cares what the other does.

> I have played two fairly new games in the arcade by Atari, and they are
> excellent.  They are Roadblasters, and Blasteroids.

Roadblaster (singular, I believe) is indeed excellent, but then, the
quality of the average Atari coin-op is very high.   Witness 720,
Rolling Thunder, I Robot, Dragon Spirit, Gauntlet and Gauntlet II,
Major Havoc, APB, et. al.

("Sure could use a doughnut...")
--
   \ I don't drink, so how \ Jersey   \ GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN      \   |||
    \ come I live in Barr   \ Atari    \ The JACG BBS: (201)298-0161   \ / | \
 ||| \ Hall on Busch Campus? \ Computer \ NetLand: knutsen@rutgers.edu  \
/ | \ \  --Mark Knutsen, R.U. \ Group    \ or: {...}!rutgers.edu!knutsen \

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (05/06/88)

In article <1786@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> wolf@csclea.UUCP (Thomas Wolf) writes:
>My reason for posting this message is to express my amusement:  Here we have
>Atari Corp. who has marketed a single computer for which a software developer
>has to develop TWO distinct versions of a game if he/she wishes to have them
>run on both colour AND monochrome.  But does Atari set a good example by doing
>exactly that with its arcade-style games?

  Yes. Read on.

>  Apparantly not.  The first version
>of Star Raiders at least did not run in monochrome.  Atari apparently expects
>other developers to go through the extra trouble but doesn't do so itself.

  Despite all the Atari flaming ("constructive criticism"?) going on here,
you can't pin this one on them. I don't know about the latest release of
_Star Raiders ST_, but Atari's _Missile Command_ game not only runs in low
and high resolution, but medium as well. I do believe (but cannot confirm)
that their gun-shooting (mouse-shooting?) game _Crack'ed_ also runs in
monochrome...

>The only publisher of Atari ST games to have undergone that "extra effort"
>(as far as I know) seems to be RainBird/Firebird.  Their "StarGlider",
>"Tracker", etc. games all work fine in monochrome.  Since I only own a mono
>chrome system, I would like to commend them for their efforts (btw, I have
>no affiliation with this publisher -- I'm just a satisfied user.)

  Everybody who's bought a Firebird product is a satisfied sustomer. They and
FTL are among the best Atari ST developers around. Long may they live!

>Maybe in the future we will see other companies taking that extra step in
>developing their games?  Perhaps they already do in Europe? (since there,
>monochrome systems are much more common than in the US)

  You could also check out that new program _Monoware_, which is supposed to
make your monochrome monitor emulate a color monitor perfectly, and vice
versa. I haven't used it myself, but everything I've heard says that it
delivers.

						--R.J.
						B-)
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/09/88)

In article <857@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:

 >  Everybody who's bought a Firebird product is a satisfied sustomer. They and
 >FTL are among the best Atari ST developers around. Long may they live!

  While I agree in general, I don't think bringing up FTL in a
discussion about the problems involved in color-ONLY programs is
a good idea.  While Dungeon-Master is one of the best games on
the ST, it's so color-only that even OmniRes can't get it to run
on a monochrome monitor.

 >  You could also check out that new program _Monoware_, which is
 >supposed to make your monochrome monitor emulate a color monitor
 >perfectly, and vice versa. I haven't used it myself, but
 >everything I've heard says that it delivers.

  You've got it backwards...  Monoware runs monochrome programs
on a color system, not the other way around.  There is, to my
knowledge, no existing public-domain or shareware program to run
color programs on a monochrome monitor.  (And no commercial
versions that are capable of running Dungeon-Master.)

---
John Stanley (dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP)
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (05/31/88)

In article <May.5.09.40.18.1988.19483@athos.rutgers.edu>, knutsen@athos.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) writes:
> Roadblaster (singular, I believe) is indeed excellent, but then, the
> quality of the average Atari coin-op is very high.   Witness 720,
> Rolling Thunder, I Robot, Dragon Spirit, Gauntlet and Gauntlet II,
> Major Havoc, APB, et. al.

Gauntlet has been out on the ST and is a VERY good version of the arcade
game. I especially like the way the sound was done. It was digitized
from the video game, so your Atari sounds quite unlike the usual.
Rolling Thunder is also in the process of being released (sike!), I
think by a European software group.

--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

KEITH@SYSD.SALFORD.AC.UK (Keith Wolstenholme) (06/08/88)

In article <May.5.09.40.18.1988.19483@athos.rutgers.edu>, knutsen@athos.rutgers.
> Roadblaster (singular, I believe) is indeed excellent, but then, the
> quality of the average Atari coin-op is very high.   Witness 720,
> Rolling Thunder, I Robot, Dragon Spirit, Gauntlet and Gauntlet II,
> Major Havoc, APB, et. al.

The UK software houses are very fond of arcade conversions at the moment
(some of which have actually made it to the market). I thought the
games fanatics out there might like a list of what to look out for !

Below is a list of arcade conversions either availbable now or under
development for the ST by UK software houses. I've probably left a
number of titles out, this is all from memory but I think I've got
the publishers right !

Some of the comments have been "gleaned" from various UK ST and
Games  magazines.

First the actual arcade conversions:

Title               Publisher           Notes

Roadrunner          US Gold        -    Now available in a
Indianna Jones        "            -    4 game compilation
Gauntlet              "            -
Metrocross            "            -

Rampage             Activision

Buggy boy           Elite               Getting good reviews

Road Blasters       Activision ?        Under development

Xenon               Melbourne House     ARCADE QUALITY vertical scroller

Sidewinder          Melbourne House        "      "       "       "  (easier
                                        than Xenon)

Roadwars            Melbourne House     Difficult to describe ! Good graphics
                                        Gameplay not great.

Gauntlet 2          US Gold             Just out. 4-PLAYER with adaptor.

Space Harrier       Elite               Under deleopment ? Things seem to
                                        have gone quiet on this. Early reports
                                        were interesting. 8 bit versions
                                        have been out for over a year.

Star Wars           Domark              Good conversion, maybe a little slow.

Empire Strikes Back Domark              Under development.

Return of Jedi      Domark              Under development ? For Xmas.

Rolling Thunder     US Gold ?           Just out. Competemt conversion.

Slap Fight          Ocean               Average Conversion.

Ikari Warriors      Elite               Average Conversion.

Outrun              US Gold             Good Conversion.

Bubble Bobble       Firebird            Good Conversion.

Bionic Commandos    US Gold             Under development.

Halls of Kairos     US Gold             Under development. Sold as "Desolator".

Alien Syndrome      The Edge            Status unknown ?

Darius              ??                  A company had a Darius machine on
                                        display at last years PCW show. Nothing
                                        has been mentioned since.

There's also a few original games that may be worth getting:

The Last Ninja      System 3            Under development (for a looong time!).

Return to Genesis   Firebird            Smooth horizontal, parallax, scroller.

Leathernecks        Microdeal           4 Player.

Whirlygig           Firebird            Under development. Screen shots
                                        look good.

Black Lamp          Firebird            Good platform game.

Backlash            Novagen             16 bit version of Encounter (on the
                                        8 bit and C64). Mindless blasting.
                                        Its great !

Damocles            Novagen             Under development. Sequel to Mecenary.
                                        Graphics are completely different.
                                        Gameplay ?

Captain Blood       Infogrammes         Recent release from a French company.
                                        English language version just out.
                                        Space exploration. Great graphics,
                                        good sound. Takes some time to get
                                        into it !

Carrier Command     Firebird            Wow ! Combat/war game with arcade/
                                        Flight simulator graphics. Solid
                                        filled 3-D graphics. Animation is
                                        very smooth.

Virus               Firebird            This is the game used to "sell" the
                                        Acorn Archimedes - difficult to
                                        describe. Byte carried a screen
                                        shot in a news item about the
                                        Archimedes. Reports of the conversion
                                        are very favourable.

Starglider 2        Firebird            Under development. Should be ready
                                        "soon". Firebird have started to
                                        advertise it. Graphics are solid,
                                        filled, 3-D. Should be as smooth
                                        as Carrier Command.

I have a mono monitor so have not actually got many of these games,
but I have seen and even played some of those that have been released.

Have fun !

JANET  keith@uk.ac.salford.sysd
ARPA:  keith@sysd.salford.ac.uk
PHONE: +44 61 737 7010
POST:  3-S, Computer Centre, Salford University, Salford, M5 4WT, U.K.