[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory Upgrade For 520ST

m204help@cca.UUCP (03/05/87)

 I am toying with the idea of upgrading my 520ST.
 If I am going to go to the trouble of installing a
 Ram upgrade however, I don't just want to go to a meg.
 Are there any kits out there that will let me upgrade
 a 520 ST to 2 meg ? Also if I could upgrade to this kind
 of memory capacity, is there anything available software
 wise that will allow me to do multitasking or at least
 load several programs at once and toggle between them for
 execution ?
 (i.e. for music applications: load up a sequencer
                                       a patch editor
                                   and a word processor
then if I am running a sequence, have the ability to stop
a sequence, toggle over to the patch editor, tweak a patch from
the patch editor prog, maybe make a note in a session log in my
word processer then toggle back to the sequencer and continue
execution without having to load and reload all of these programs.)
Thanx for your help,
keith

leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) (03/06/87)

>  Are there any kits out there that will let me upgrade
>  a 520 ST to 2 meg ?

  There a couple of companies that let you do this:
 One's called ThoughtSpace development, they're in Berkely CA.
 I can't remember the name of the other one, but they're in
 Texas, and they advertise in Antic.  I've had no personal
 experience with either company, however.

--alex @ Atari

BIX: alexl.      GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS        AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) (03/08/87)

In article <13678@cca.CCA.COM> m204help@cca.CCA.COM (Keith Hedger) writes:
> (i.e. for music applications: load up a sequencer
>                                       a patch editor
>                                   and a word processor
>then if I am running a sequence, have the ability to stop
>a sequence, toggle over to the patch editor, tweak a patch from
>the patch editor prog, maybe make a note in a session log in my

I'm presently working on a desk acc. patch editor/librarian.  As soon as
it's finished, I'll post to the net.  You'll be able to use it with any
GEM-based MIDI sequencer which doesn't use up all of the DA slots.

-Rich

p.s. don't hold your breath on this (it'll take a while to finish).

--
  //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 /// Richard E. Sansom                    TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

ugblee@sunybcs.uucp (Daniel Lee) (09/21/87)

About a year ago, someone has posted an article on how to upgrade 520ST to
1 meg. Now that I have got my 520 and in need to upgrade it, I am looking
for that article. Could someone who has that article repost to this group,
please? Or can anyone tell me where I can get the article?

Is there any alternative to upgrade?

Thank you.

Daniel Lee

----------
csnet:	 ugblee@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugblee
bitnet:  ugblee@sunybcs.BITNET

"Richard_Landells.SBDERX"@XEROX.COM (06/09/88)

I have been led to believe that the MMU of the ST can access up to 4Mb of
memory, and would like to upgrade my 520STFM to this level, but every time I ask
how, I am met with blank looks.  If anybody out there has actually done this, I
would be very grateful if you could pass any advice on how to do it.

Many Thanks,

Richard Landells
Rank Xerox,
Welwyn Hall,
30, Church Street,
Welwyn,
Herts,
England.  AL6 9LX             (UK) 043871-6341

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (06/11/88)

In article <880609-030738-4121@Xerox>, "Richard_Landells.SBDERX"@XEROX.COM writes:
> I have been led to believe that the MMU of the ST can access up to 4Mb of
> memory, and would like to upgrade my 520STFM to this level, but every time I
> ask how, I am met with blank looks.  If anybody out there has actually done
> this, I would be very grateful if you could pass any advice on how to do it.

There are a couple of different companies that make a board that you can plug
into your motherboard that requires no drilling, cutting or hardwiring and
allow you to expand your computer up to 4Meg.  The bare board with connector
and sockets are about $130 US.  A fully populated 4Meg board is in the order
of $1300 US.  I don't know what they would cost in England.  Ads for these
boards are in all the ST magazines here in the US.  Pick up a copy of what
is available in England and look through the ads.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (06/12/88)