[comp.sys.atari.st] VT200 in Uniterm

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (05/19/88)

It seems to me that something is grong with the emulation of vtxxx terminals.

If I send the string ESC[?3l the screened will be set to the 80 column mode
	and the screen will be erased.
The screen will be erased even if originaly was in 80 column mode.

I would assume that if the screen was in 80 columns mode already the command
	would have no effect (screen would not be erased).

Is this the normal way vtxxx work?
	- If no could Simon please correct it?
	- If yes could we have a string which would behave as I described?

Thanks,

Thanasis

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (05/24/88)

In article <910003@acf5.NYU.EDU> mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) writes:

>If I send the string ESC[?3l the screened will be set to the 80 column mode
>	and the screen will be erased.
>The screen will be erased even if originaly was in 80 column mode.
This is the correct behaviour (I just rechecked on this terminal, an original
VT100)......

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (06/03/88)

In article <278@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) replies:
% This is the correct behaviour (I just rechecked on this terminal, an original
% VT100)......

Exactly right.  I'd be upset if it didn't work this; the first line in
my login.com file on every VMS account I have is:

$ cls :== set terminal /width=80

to clear the screen.  It doesn't work on some cheap VT100 clones, like
the C. Itoh CIT-101.
--
     /|\ 	Barnacle Wes @ Great Salt Lake Yacht Club, north branch
    / | \		     @ J/22 #49, _d_J_i_n_n_i

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (06/14/88)

In article <246@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:

>$ cls :== set terminal /width=80
>
>to clear the screen.  It doesn't work on some cheap VT100 clones, like
>the C. Itoh CIT-101.

That's what I like about my Plessey terminal (witch is a CIT-101, a
little glue and a piece of plastic..8-)

Simon, perhaps you could put in a new feature (in the "Terminal 2"
dialog): "clear on change-width" ON/OFF.

One mans bug is another ones feature.

(I like the lot of "features" in WordPerfect!! 8-)

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
High on a rocky promontory sat an Electric Monk on a bored horse. (D. Adams)