[comp.sys.atari.st] vkiller de-ARCing error

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (06/07/88)

I have had trouble de-ARCing  VKILLER.  Before bulletin boards post it,
they shoudl check to see that they can de-ARC what they have.
Perhaps it should be posted again.

Here is an edited transcript of a session here, recently:
You can see that a failure in the test of cyclic redundancy codes (CRC).

 Script started on Mon Jun  6 19:29:24 1988

 % arc v vkiller.arc
 Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
 ============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
 README            1575  Crunched   33%      1060   2 Jun 88   7:22a  8b5c
 VKILLER.PRG      55957  Crunched   44%     31593   2 Jun 88   7:23a  e085
 VKILLER.RSC      14316  Crunched   49%      7328   2 Jun 88   7:23a  9838
         ====  ========            ====  ========
 Total      3     71848             45%     39981

 % arc t vkiller.arc
 Testing archive...
     File: README        okay
     File: VKILLER.PRG   WARNING: File VKILLER.PRG fails CRC check
     File: VKILLER.RSC   okay
 2 errors detected

 %

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (06/10/88)

In article <1623@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu I wrote:
>I have had trouble de-ARCing  VKILLER.  Before bulletin boards post it,
>they should check to see that they can de-ARC what they have.

Steven Grimm sent me a clean copy (Thanks Steven).

I found the one character that was corrupted and report, in
case you also had the same problem.

The posted version "vkiller.uaa" (as I received it) had this line:
MD 32D@J4@"PC00\,P ( \),!8 848 '<8 '<  =< /L3P  4  "Y8@%2P BMd

I seems that it should have been:
MD 32D@J4@"PC00\,P ( \),!8 848 '<8 '<  =< /D3P  4  "Y8@%2P BMd

If you have trouble de-ARCing VKILLER, check the UUencoded source,
and see if it has the string "L3P" in it.  If so, try replacing that
one letter "L" with a "D" and try again.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (06/17/88)

------

Nothing wrong with the posting of Vkiller here.  I uudecoded and unarced it
just fine.  By the way, this is one VERY nice program.  Mucho kudos to
the author!  This is program is a joy to work with, as it leaves the user
very reassured in the safety of his disks upon completion.  I was able to
check out all my disks and am happy to report that I was virus free!

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL   or ...         |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
GEnie: J.JOUBERT                     |     \/       \/