[comp.sys.atari.st] disk drive data disaster, part 2

jsd@UMass.BITNET (Jonathan S. Drukman) (06/24/88)

You may or may not recall that I was having problems with frequent
and inexplicable data errors on my SF 314 floppy.  I received many
letters, and thanks to all who wrote.  The mail I received indicated
that basically _anything_ could be the problem - the disk controller
chip, the head alignment, dirty heads, bad disks...  And the answer
is - I have absolutely no idea what.  The drive magically fixed itself
the very day I planned to take it into a store for head alignment.
This was over a week ago and it hasn't even hiccuped since.  All the
disks that were "unformattable" and "completely damaged" are now
perfect.  I have thrown out most of the really troublesome ones.  My
advice to those with this problem is the following: pick the drive up,
shout in a loud voice: "I'm going to take my drive to the store now for
alignment.  Oops, looks like I won't make it in time." and slam it back
down on the desk with a gentle yet firm touch.  It worked for me.

-----------
Jon Drukman                      University`of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET:"Naked man calm own, I'll give you some strawberry cake." - sugarcubes

[...]

BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Naked man calm down, I'll give you some strawberry cake." - sugarcubes

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (06/26/88)

jsd@UMass.BITNET (Jonathan S. Drukman) writes:
>shout in a loud voice: "I'm going to take my drive to the store now for
>alignment.  Oops, looks like I won't make it in time." and slam it back
>down on the desk with a gentle yet firm touch.  It worked for me.

Probably something wasn't making a good connection and jaring the drive or
flexing the cable fixed it.  I plugged an external drive in once and it was
completely inop.  I disconnected the cable and reconnected it and it has
worked faithfully for over 1.5 years.  I never saw what might have caused
this.  It's a tough decision to take something apart that is brand new to make
sure something isn't just loose that you can fix real easily.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!