[comp.sys.atari.st] Compute!'s Atari ST

ooa@scbhq.UUCP (O.Atkins) (06/24/88)

I decided to check out what is happening at Compute! on the Atari
ST today.  Apparently all the rumors are correct, and Compute! has
discontinued the  Atari ST   magazine and disk.  A quick call to
their 1-800-727-6937 number confirmed that distribution has stopped.
I have the June/July issue, and they said that the unused portion
of my subscription would be refunded, but they don't know when!
Well, there goes another "Atari" product 'dropping into the ole bit
bucket'!  Is someone trying to send US a message?  Hello, Atari, is
anybody home?

Owen (never get in line with me - I never get waited on!)
	UUCP  ...!scbhq!ooa

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I claim anything!! At my age I'm proud to be
                     blamed.  Now that's recognition!

acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (06/25/88)

I've heard that Compute! didn't allow BBS's to post software from the
magazines disks. Now that they are no longer supporting the ST, will
they allow us to post their old programs on Bulliten Boards? (or
ftp'able archives...)

Jon Brode  --  acn@caen.engin.umich.edu
(Commander-in-Chief of the Atari forces at U of M)

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (06/27/88)

In article <3cdbea4e.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> acn@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:

>I've heard that Compute! didn't allow BBS's to post software from the
>magazines disks. Now that they are no longer supporting the ST, will
>they allow us to post their old programs on Bulliten Boards? (or
>ftp'able archives...)
>
>Jon Brode  --  acn@caen.engin.umich.edu
>(Commander-in-Chief of the Atari forces at U of M)

My guess is: 'probably not'. They still own the copyrights to those programs,
which may prove to be of some value. A friend of mine once wrote a
computer game for Compute!, and he received royalties each time it was
converted to a different computer. The fact that Compute! and company no
longer support the ST does not totally eliminate the value of their
copyrights.

Of course, if Compute! published a written statement making all of their ST
programs public domain, then you would be perfectly correct to post them.
But if Compute! remains silent, I think the wisest choice of action is to
respect the original copyrights.

--Patrick Simon    mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu       6/26/88