[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm vs. Blitter question

PETCHER@FSU.BITNET (06/17/88)

When I run Uniterm 2.0c on my mega 2 with the blitter on, the program hangs up
or crashes.  But if I turn off the blitter everything goes fine. I typically
run Uniterm from the GPshell (a Unix shell) with only the control panel and the
STart file selector as memory resident programs.  I may have the GPshell's built
in ram disk and disk cache program running as well from time to time.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it possibly an incompatibility problem of
Uniterm with the blitter, or is my blitter buggy.  An alternative question is,
what list of programs should the blitter work well with and which programs are
incompatible.  (i.e Can anyone offer a suggestion for a good 'blitter test'?)
I would like to find out if the blitter is having problems as soon as possible
because my warranty is nearly up.

Please e-mail me directly if possible, since we only receive the digest and it
would take quite a bit of time before I'll see the responses otherwise.

Thanks,
                                              Don Petcher

E-mail:  PETCHER@FSU.BITNET
  or     PETCHER@FSU.MFENET
  or     PETCHER@GW.SCRI.FSU.EDU
  or     5474009@FSU.BITNET

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (06/27/88)

In article <[gw.scri.fsu.edu].B5253180.00914704.PETCHER> PETCHER@FSU.BITNET writes:

>When I run Uniterm 2.0c on my mega 2 with the blitter on, the program hangs up
>or crashes.  But if I turn off the blitter everything goes fine. ....
I've tested UniTerm various times on a Mega ST + Blitter (in fact a
friend uses it on a Mega + Blitter the whole time) and have never had
any problems. Supposedly there are some Blitters that show the symptoms
you describe while running 1st Word (but that's only a rumour from a German
magazine).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

PETCHER@FSU.BITNET (06/29/88)

A while ago I sent a letter which started out:

>When I run Uniterm 2.0c on my mega 2 with the blitter on, the program hangs up
>or crashes.  But if I turn off the blitter everything goes fine. I typically

As it turns out, I was premature in my judgement that everything was fine
without the blitter.  After awhile, even when the blitter was turned off
Uniterm froze up.  So I began to investigate further, and to my amazement the
problem apparently resides in the mainframe software (an interactive database
for a library catalog) and not anywhere on the Atari end at all! Those in
charge of this database admit that it is still unstable and that this problem
has also occurred in other cases. When connected to anything other than this
database, my mega, Uniterm and the blitter so far continue to happily coexist
and go merrily humming along. Sorry about the false alarm.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my original query, confirming your
exeriences that Uniterm works well with a working blitter.

                                               Don Petcher