[comp.sys.atari.st] Adaptec Controller, import taxes & translation

rob@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (06/28/88)

In article <478@jungfrau.UUCP> marvin@jungfrau.UUCP writes:
> [...]
>Because this thing is so hard to get in Europe (and expensive), I told a
>friend of mine in New York to get it for me, but he doesn't seem to find
>it.

Ahem.  You sure this isn't either illegal or going to cost you an
obnoxious amount of Swiss taxes?

>Disclaimer: I'm a student at the Swiss Federal Polytechnical Highschool
>[...]
To avoid confusion for the poor monolinguals among us, you might want
to consider translating ``Hochschule'' with ``university'' rather than
``high school'', as the latter is the name applied to the upper
*secondary* education in the US.  This causes all kinds of confusion,
usually to your disadvantage.

Rob Carriere
"Aber es ist keine Universitaet, es ist eine Hochschule!"

marvin@jungfrau.UUCP (Rico und Jan) (07/01/88)

In article <339@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>In article <478@jungfrau.UUCP> marvin@jungfrau.UUCP writes:
>> [...]
>>Because this thing is so hard to get in Europe (and expensive), I told a
>>friend of mine in New York to get it for me, but he doesn't seem to find
>>it.
>>
>Ahem.  You sure this isn't either illegal or going to cost you an
>obnoxious amount of Swiss taxes?

No! It's neither illegal (why should it?) nor does it cost a lot. The
Swiss taxes are 6.2%; buying it in the States and adding the Swiss taxes
is still much cheaper than the Swiss prices. The Adaptec controller, for
example, costs in Germany DM 400.- (it would be about the same in
Switzerland if you could get it here) which is about US$ 240.-. In the
States it costs only half of it (or even less). Adding the taxes doesn't
make a big difference. The only problem about the whole affair is, that
warranty and service becomes complicated if you have to send it back to
the States... You have to choose between the risk and the warranty
service. In this case I chose the risk (which isn't too high, I'd say).

>>Disclaimer: I'm a student at the Swiss Federal Polytechnical Highschool
>>[...]
>To avoid confusion for the poor monolinguals among us, you might want
>to consider translating ``Hochschule'' with ``university'' rather than
>``high school'', as the latter is the name applied to the upper
>*secondary* education in the US.  This causes all kinds of confusion,
>usually to your disadvantage.

Thanx for the reminder. I know the difference between 'highschool' and
'university'. I just did't think of it when writing the signature-file.
Meanwhile I got the correct English translation for 'ETH':
'Swiss Federal Institute of Technology'.

Tomas

Disclaimer: I'm a student at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
	    (ETH) in Zuerich, Switzerland, studying Computer Science
	    ('Informatik' as we call it in German).

UUCP: ...!mcvax!ethz!jungfrau!marvin (marvin@jungfrau.UUCP)
Surface: Tomas Felner, Quellenstrasse 30, 8005 Zuerich, Switzerland