[comp.sys.atari.st] No such user A_MONK

ADVISORY@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK (07/01/88)

From:	FTP_Manager  1-JUL-1988 16:16
To:	POSTMASTER
Subj:	Network mail failure

Unable to return Network Mail to EARN.FINHUTC.
Please check your Network Autho

Local Mail delivery failed to following Usernames:
A_MONK
Mail text:

Date:     Thu, 30 Jun 88 18:55:39 PDT
Sender:   "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@EARN.FINHUTC>
Comments: Warning -- original Sender: tag was
          Info-Atari16-request@Score.Stanford.E
From:     Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@EDU.STANFORD.SCORE>
Subject:  Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #297
To:       ALASDAIR MONK <A_MONK@UK.AC.OPEN.ACS.VAX>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, June 30, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 297

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                   Re: MWC & large arrays -- help!
                              HP DeskJet
                   disk drive data disaster, part 2
                           Re: Midi Mega's
                      Re: Software info request
                    Re: Mono shakes/Uniterm blues
                           Re: Midi Mega's
                     RE: Atari Hard disk "clones"
                         Compute!'s Atari ST
                   Re: MWC & large arrays -- help!
                       Atari ST system for sale
                   Re: Binaries news group postings
                       Re: Compute!'s Atari ST

Date: 24 Jun 88 05:21:48 GMT
From: lakesys!jason@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Jason)
Subject: Re: MWC & large arrays -- help!
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <411@brambo.UUCP>, sid@brambo.UUCP (Sid Van den Heede) writes:
> In article <46700008@hcx2> jgj@hcx2.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
> >I have experienced this problem too.  As far as I can tell, in 3.0,
 structures
> >are limited to 32Kb.  Also, elements of an array are limited to 32Kb.
>
> I thought 3.0 was supposed to fix the problem with big arrays etc.
> [Rest of article deleted]
> Sid Van den Heede        Voice: 416-792-1137

    Version 3.0 does handle ARRAYS that are larger than 32k... I've never
had any array ELEMENTS that've exceeded 32k (or any structures by themselves
which were that big) so I can't verify/deny what was said about that. However,
I DO know that MWC 3.0 properly handles large arrays (how large, I'm not sure)

    Just for kicks and giggles, why would anyone want elements/structures
that were >32k? Or, put differently, what's in it? Huge arrays? (Or 16384
ints? :)

    Jason - Not your average iconoclast.

"The first office copiers were, as is well known, monks." - David Owen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 88 12:08 EDT
From: FRANK%aslcl1.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: HP DeskJet
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

I just bought a HP DeskJet and thought I'd report my experiences.

    1. Reviews in Current Notes and ST Applications (June) are accurate.
    2. It works great with TimeWorks DTP LaserJet GDOS driver.
    3. It works even better with Migraph DeskJet GDOS driver.
    4. For some applications you might want the Epson FX-80 emulator
            cartridge. Makes DJ work like Epson but text is 300dpi at
            100cps. Its better than Epson cause compressed type is also LQ.
            Graphics is only Epson quality thou with Epson cartridge.
    5. Epson cartridge works fine with Epstart and Magic Sac.
    6. DJ can be used in native mode for text if you use Serial driver
           and Typewriter mode that comes with MS Word. Great quality type
           but only one font type per document.
    7. Not only is DJ FAST but it is whisper quiet. My Supra totally
            drowns it out.

It so impressed my local Atari dealer that he will be carrying DeskJets.
He says he will sell them at $800 (List Price is $1000). Call Dave
at Computers to Grow (713) 777-1673 for more info.

    The DeskJet is a perfect match for the ST, it works fine with all
ST memory configurations 512K and up. With a 1040, Timeworks DTP and a
DeskJet, you can have a true DeskTop Publishing System for under $2000,
although a hard disk would speed things up.

To me the DeskJet is "power without the price". As long as Atari wants $1995
for their Laser, the DeskJet offers the most price/performance!

I have no affiliation with either Computers to Grow or Hewlett Packard, other
than being a satisfied customer.

Brazil - It's only a state of mind.

Bill Frank     FRANK@aslcl1.sdr.slb.com by Relay.CS.NET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88  19:01:51 EDT
From: jsd%UMass.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: disk drive data disaster, part 2
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

You may or may not recall that I was having problems with frequent
and inexplicable data errors on my SF 314 floppy.  I received many
letters, and thanks to all who wrote.  The mail I received indicated
that basically _anything_ could be the problem - the disk controller
chip, the head alignment, dirty heads, bad disks...  And the answer
is - I have absolutely no idea what.  The drive magically fixed itself
the very day I planned to take it into a store for head alignment.
This was over a week ago and it hasn't even hiccuped since.  All the
disks that were "unformattable" and "completely damaged" are now
perfect.  I have thrown out most of the really troublesome ones.  My
advice to those with this problem is the following: pick the drive up,
shout in a loud voice: "I'm going to take my drive to the store now for
alignment.  Oops, looks like I won't make it in time." and slam it back
down on the desk with a gentle yet firm touch.  It worked for me.

-----------
Jon Drukman                      University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Naked man calm down, I'll give you some strawberry cake." - sugarcubes

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 17:26:40 GMT
From: ssyx!koreth@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Steven Grimm)
Subject: Re: Midi Mega's
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <335@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>Oh, and today I got a call from Sig Hartmann at Atari, <fill in today's
>title here> telling me that I'm "no longer allowed to make negative statements
>on USENET" and that he "is my sole contact for Atari related communications".

That's outrageous!  Who died and made Atari God?  You may have a different
developer status than I do, but I never signed anything saying that I wouldn't
badmouth Atari.  In my opinion, you're perfectly justified if you laugh in
his face next time you see him.  That was a very rude and unprofessional
thing for him to do (though I suppose I don't want to place the blame on
Sig without evidence -- he could have been instructed by a sinister higher-up
in the company...)

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm        Moderator, comp.,sources,binaries-.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu    ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 21:49:11 GMT
From: mcvax!philmds!leo@uunet.uu.net  (Leo de Wit)
Subject: Re: Software info request
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8806172208.AA25270@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U0179@DGOGWDG5.BITNET
("GWDGV1::WHUEBNER") writes (amongst other things):

>Is there anyone who has ...
>
>  a) informations about a SPSS implementation on ATARI ST ..

On the risk of asking a dumb question: what does SPSS stand for ??
(I know of SCCS, RCS, ps, sps, sp, P.S. 8-)

     Leo.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 05:24:11 GMT
From: killer!pollux!dalsqnt!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (John
 Joubert)
Subject: Re: Mono shakes/Uniterm blues
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

-----------------------

My monochrome monitor shakes also.  A friend of mine has one and it
shakes and has a strange kind of tilt to it also.  Anyone know of a
good remedy?

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL   or ...         |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
ut-sally!usl!usl-pc!jpdres13         |-----/|-------/|----------------------
GEnie: J.JOUBERT                     |     \/       \/

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 02:01:39 GMT
From: portal!atari!kbad@uunet.uu.net  (Ken Badertscher)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <1684@vaxb.calgary.UUCP>, brinsmead@calgary.UUCP (Mark Brinsmead)
 says:

>>... Atari appreciates the fervor indicated by Mr. Hedger, and his
>>obvious concern for our strategic direction and distribution policy. We are
>>concerned, however, that such misinformation would be placed in a public forum
>
>  You have ever right for concern, and in fact, probably deserve an appology.
>
>>and accordingly we request that in advance of such statements in the future,
>>Atari be called and the facts of such perceived policies be confirmed.
>
>  What's the number? Perhaps spreading it around will prevent future errors.

Folks at Atari Corporation can be reached at (408) 745-2000 in the US.

  Ken Badertscher
  Atari Software Test/Support
  (kbad@atari.UUCP)

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 88 08:09 EDT
From: "From the screen of Deneva...  24-Jun-1988 0809"
 <HELLER%cs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: Atari Hard disk "clones"
To: info-atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

    I have built my own hard drive sub-system for my 1040ST (the 520ST
would be the same).  This is what I did:

    1) I purchased Supra's DMA to SCSI adapter from the store where I
purchased my ST (cost $125.00).  Contact your local Atari dealer or Supra
directly for info on how to get this.  There are several other companies
that sell DMA to SCSI adapters for the ST.
    2) I purchased via mail order an Adaptec 4000 SCSI to ST506 disk
controller from The Computer Surplus Store (715 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas, CA
95035, 408-434-0168 (phone orders: 408-434-1060)). This cost me $89.00.
These people also sell the Adaptex 4070 controller.  The 4000 is a straight
dual drive ST506 controller, the 4070 is a RLL controller (also 2 drives I
believe).
    3) I purchased from JameCo an IBM-PC/XT clone box & power supply
(JameCo sells all of the pieces to build-your-own IBM-PC XT or AT clone -
the boxes, power supplies, mother boards, etc.) The case went for about
$30.00 and the power supply for about $100.00.  The box is rather large and
the power supply rather beefy - I plan to add a 1/4" cartidge tape drive (I
already have a SCSI to QIC-36 tape drive controller).  You might do with a
smaller box and smaller power supply.  Probably any full-height or dual
1/2 height drive box will do (use a single 1/2 height drive and put the
interface board where the second 1/2 height drive would go). Priority One
sells disk drive boxes, as to various other mail order companies.  Check out
the back of BYTE magazine and/or The Computer Shopper.
    4) Ordered (from various electronics suppliers) ribbon cable (50
conductor) and connectors: 50-pin header connectors (SCSI bus), 34-pin edge
connectors (hard disk interface cable), a 20-pin edge and header connecters
(hard disk interface cable), and a 2-pin power connector set for the Surpa
board.
    5) I purchased an ST251 (40+ meg, half height hard disk) from Bull
Dog computer.  I think I paid about $400 for this drive.  It even came with
MS-DOS software for formatting and partitioning the drive (not much use to
me!).

    It all works.  The Supra board came with Supra's hard disk utilities
disk - had no trouble formatting and partitioning the drive.  I have it
setup with two partitions: a small (2MEG) GEM partition and a large (38+Meg)
OS-9 partition (I mostly run OS-9 rather than GEM).

    The Supra DMA adapter came with info on adding your own hard disk
controllers and the Utilities disk had an ARC file with picture files
showing the board layouts of the Supra board and seveal popular SCSI/ST506
controller boards.  It is not really hard.  So long as you keep track of pin
one on the various connectors, you should not have trouble.  Oh, one trick:
1/2 the pins on each of the ribbon cables are grounds - you will notice that
the contacts on the PC boards will have all (or most) of the pins or edge
fingers wired together - this can be used to verify the that the connectors
are correctly oriented.  Also: on the power connector set for the Supra
board - it is a good idea to wire the female end to the "live" (power
supply) end.  This prevents fireworks should the power be applied and the
connector is just hanging loose - prevents shorting out the power supply to
ground.

        Robert Heller
ARPANet:    Heller@CS.UMass.EDU
BITNET:        Heller@UMass.BITNET
BIX:        Heller
GEnie:        RHeller
FidoNet:    322/410 (Locks Hill BBS, Wendell, MA)
CompuServe    71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:    COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:    Heller@CS

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 23:29:25 GMT
From: sbmsg1!scbhq!ooa@gatech.edu  (O.Atkins)
Subject: Compute!'s Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I decided to check out what is happening at Compute! on the Atari
ST today.  Apparently all the rumors are correct, and Compute! has
discontinued the  Atari ST   magazine and disk.  A quick call to
their 1-800-727-6937 number confirmed that distribution has stopped.
I have the June/July issue, and they said that the unused portion
of my subscription would be refunded, but they don't know when!
Well, there goes another "Atari" product 'dropping into the ole bit
bucket'!  Is someone trying to send US a message?  Hello, Atari, is
anybody home?

Owen (never get in line with me - I never get waited on!)
    UUCP  ...!scbhq!ooa

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I claim anything!! At my age I'm proud to be
                     blamed.  Now that's recognition!

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 18:01:48 GMT
From: leah!jac423@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Julius A Cisek)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

This is in response to the question about large structures in MWC (INEWS
is not letting me include the article!)

The only thing I can think of right now is that the problem is with the
ST, and not the MWC. In Lazer C you are restricted to 32K arrays and
structures and since it is because of the way the ST partitions memory,
I'd have to say that MWC would have the same problem...

I could be wrong, so please no flames.
--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 17:35:27 GMT
From: leah!jac423@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Julius A Cisek)
Subject: Atari ST system for sale
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Atari 520ST system for sale:
    Atari 520ST computer
    2 SF354 (single-sided) drives
    Color Monitor

 Plus the following store bought (includes boxes and manuals) software
and hardware:
    Megamax C Development package
    Hippo Sound Digitizer (all hardware included)
    Dungeon Master
    Sundog
    Music Studio
    The Bard's Tale
    S.D.I.
    Brattacus
    plus MUCH more
    ($700+ worth of software)

    also approx. 100 disks of PD, Shareware, and other software.

Asking: $700 or best offer.
    (Think of it like buying the software and getting the computer
     for free! ;-)

If you are interested, another $150 will buy you the Atari SF804 (ST
standard) Dot-Matrix printer and a cabinet to house the entire system.

    Please contact me at jac423@leah or by replying to this message.

Date: 24 Jun 88 14:49:19 GMT
From: polyof!jeff@nyu.edu  (A1 jeff giordano )
Subject: Re: Binaries news group postings
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3144@crash.cts.com>, sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) writes:
> rthurlow@van-bc.UUCP (Rob Thurlow) writes:

[stuff about a munged file deleted]
> This brought to mind a problem I have.  Several of the last posting have
> required a unix shell to decode.  I have only limited access to to a unix
> machine which doesn't seem able to unpack these anyway.  Is there a program
> that allows unpacking these on my ST?  Is there a real need to use these
> rather than just arcing and uuencoding?
Yes, there is a program to take apart shell archives.  It was posted to the
net about a year ago, it is called shar.ttp.  You can get it fron you favorit
st archive.  If that doesnot work drop me a note and i will e-mail it to you.

geoffrey giordano
UUCP: ...!iguana!polyof!jeff
internet:  jeff@polyof  or jeff@128.238.10.100

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 22:16:00 GMT
From: mailrus!caen.engin.umich.edu!acn@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Jon Brode)
Subject: Re: Compute!'s Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I've heard that Compute! didn't allow BBS's to post software from the
magazines disks. Now that they are no longer supporting the ST, will
they allow us to post their old programs on Bulliten Boards? (or
ftp'able archives...)

Jon Brode  --  acn@caen.engin.umich.edu
(Commander-in-Chief of the Atari forces at U of M)

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
**************************
-------

ADVISORY@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK (07/01/88)

From:	FTP_Manager  1-JUL-1988 16:20
To:	POSTMASTER

Date:     Thu, 30 Jun 88 18:56:02 PDT
Sender:   "Atari ST users forum (INFO-ATARI16)" <INFO-A16@EARN.FINHUTC>
From:     Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@EDU.STANFORD.SCORE>
Subject:  Info-Atari16 Digest V88 #298
To:       ALASDAIR MONK <A_MONK@UK.AC.OPEN.ACS.VAX>

Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, June 30, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 298

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                      Re: UUCP for the Atari ST
                       Re: mega woes, continued
                   disk drive data disaster, part 2
                      Re: The archive at lakesys
           Wall Street Wizard (the stock market simulation)
                              Re: minix
                            Re: Assembler
                      Re: C compilers on the ST
                    Re: Mono shakes/Uniterm blues
                                 how
                Turning off vertical blank interrupts
                           Re: Midi Mega's
                 Re: disk drive data disaster, part 2

Date: 25 Jun 88 06:47:35 GMT
From: marque!gryphon!lakesys!mark@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Mark Storin)
Subject: Re: UUCP for the Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <43921@felix.UUCP> preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:

>Does a UUCP equivalent for the Atari ST exist?

    Yes, UUPC has been ported to the ST. Source is available from the
lakesys netlib server  (the index was just posted yesterday).

--
Mark A. Storin
Lake Systems, Milw., WI

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 16:01:28 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!hase@uunet.uu.net  (Hartmut Semken)
Subject: Re: mega woes, continued
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <[gw.scri.fsu.edu].B16E2EA0.00914A12.PETCHER> PETCHER@FSU.BITNET
 writes:
>Now that I have recieved my replacement mega2 and have been working with it for
>awhile, I have discovered that it also has problems.  For one, my disk drive
>has the famed media change problem - whenever I take out a write enabled disk
>and replace it with a second write enabled disk, the disk drive doesn't
>recognize the media change!  This was reported previously on the net to be a
Maybe the drive has a "media changed" output on Pin 2. A Diode (4148) from Pin
2 to the write-protected pin could fix it (?).
>problem of a certain batch of Chinon drives used by third party vendors, but I
>did not expect to find it in the 'off-the-shelf' mega! As it turns out, I may
>also have other problems with the blitter (see, my letter on Uniterm vs. the
>blitter).  Although the final analysis is not yet in, I have certainly had some
Hm, this seems to be a well known bug in the Bitter. Here in Germany we
have a little Program around, fixing the problem. Maybe I'll post it
here. I've never tried it, because I have no Blitter; in fact, I have
one but do not know how to connect it to my 520 ST+ (I get no cirurit
drawings of the Mega...).
>newer, the main point is this:
>
>           *** flame on ***
>
>IF ATARI IS NOT ABLE TO PRODUCE STABLE HARDWARE, NO MATTER HOW THEY MARKET
>THEIR EQUIPMENT THEY WILL NEVER MAKE IT IN THE BUSINESS MARKET.
>
>           *** flame off ***
Do not flame Atari for the unstable Blitter. This is a problem, the
semiconductor company (General Instruments?) has (the Blitter seems to
be too complicated for their machines 8-).
But *flame* *them* for using cheap sockets and circurit boards (and
noisy fans). Flame them for their circurit design (unbuffered outputs of
the soundchip to Centronics).
No, wait!!
Stop flaming them!
They could start making the hardware more stable; this would put me out
of buisiness (I'm fixing "broken" STs...8-)
>Don't get me wrong.  I do like my Atari, and intend to do what it takes to get
>a workable system.  It is still the best micro on the market for my purposes
Me too. I like it, but some day the fixes will be more expensive than
another ("real") machine.
>Perhaps I am the victim of a wild fluctuation of statistics that occurred in
>the vicinity of Tallahassee and my experience is far from usual.  I certainly
>hope so for Atari's sake.
Perhaps You are a victim of temperature. The power supply of the mega
seems to be the same as the one of the SH205.
I got rid of it (and built one myself) and my harddisk problems were
gone!

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
High on a rocky promontory sat an Electric Monk on a bored horse. (D. Adams)

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 88 23:01:51 GMT
From: umbc3!cbw1!@umd5.umd.edu  (Jonathan S. Drukman)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET:"Naked man calm own, I'll give you

Date: 24 Jun 88 20:44:42 GMT
From: att!chinet!mcdchg!clyde!watmath!mks!wheels@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Gerry
 Wheeler)
Subject: Re: The archive at lakesys
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <766@lakesys.UUCP>, martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) writes:
> For those who are wondering, here's the latest index from netlib@lakesys:
> flip_026c/part.uaa    880614    Use the other side of a SS disk

I've seen references to this a couple of times, but I don't understand
what it's about.  You can't insert a 3.5" diskette in upside down.  (Can
you?) Anybody using this? What does it do?

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 22:20:09 GMT
From:
 att!chinet!mcdchg!clyde!watmath!utgpu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!me!ecf!forbesr@uc
bvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Robert James Forbes)
Subject: Wall Street Wizard (the stock market simulation)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

This is an unabashed advertisement for a new stock market simulation
called `WALL STREET WIZARD' available for the ST.  This is being privately
distributed (for now) so I thought I'd let you know.  An abbreviated version
of the game has just appeared in the latest issue of STart magazine.

Wall Street Wizard is a stock market misulation that runs on any ST (but you
need a colour monitor).  The object of Wall Street Wizard is to begin with
$10 000 and turn that into a million dollars in a year.  Your job is
to buy and sell (the way your capitalist friends do).  The computer
informs you of occasional market flurries and generally does its best
to reproduce the market at its wildest.  Industry insiders may try to
sway your buying decisions but a little discernment is required.
You don't have to go it alone -- three stockbrokers (Wildeyed Willy,
Cautious Charlie and Nervous Norman) can be consulted with a click
and a little cash.  The Market index shows you how well each company
is performing; well, how it has performed so far -- how it will
perform is the question, isn't it?

So far, I'm told (by its creator) that Wall Street Wizard is getting
rave reviews from around the world.  One stock broker wrote to find
out how he could buy stock -- in the game!  Well, you can't yet.  But
you can get the full version of the game, complete with margin
trading, company financial reports and three levels of play.

For ordering information, contact Tony Lovell, Lovell Marketing, 699
Eglinton Ave. West, Suite 207, Toronto, Ontario M5N 1C6, Canada.
Or, heck, send your name to me.  I'll pass it on to Tony.

It seems to me that you may learn how to invest all that money that
you make at your job a lot more wisely after playing a few rounds
of Wall Street Wizard.  And, in the meantime you won't lose your
proverbial ...

_____________________________
Bob Forbes
Dept. of EE, University of Toronto

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 20:54:52 GMT
From: oodis01!uplherc!sp7040!jsp@tis.llnl.gov  (John Peters)
Subject: Re: minix
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1737@cosmo.UUCP>, hase@cosmo.UUCP (Juergen Seeger) writes:
> I'v installed Tanenbaum's MINIX on an Atari ST.

How did you get it??????  Has Prentis Hall released it??????
Better yet how can I get it???????

                    --  Johnnie  --

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 20:46:40 GMT
From: oodis01!uplherc!sp7040!jsp@tis.llnl.gov  (John Peters)
Subject: Re: Assembler
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1946@netmbx.UUCP>, fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
> Recently I looked for a good assembler package for the Atari ST but I couldn't
> deceide which one I should buy.
>
> Could any please give me some advise and maybe a little comparision what they
> perform and cost ?

    I would like to make a request for some information about the
assembler that is included with the MWC package.  I use MWC alot and would
like to try some assembly.  Is this much like the UNIX assembler.  Is there
a macro package like M4 available for it.  I have quite a bit of samplers
for a UNIX machine with a MC680X0 chip.  It has always helped me to be
able to look directly at samples while trying new stuff.  (Yes I realize
all hooks to the O.S. will be vastly different.  When all else fails
link in libc.a and use the standard functions.

                    --  Johnnie  --

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 88 20:36:04 GMT
From: oodis01!uplherc!sp7040!jsp@tis.llnl.gov  (John Peters)
Subject: Re: C compilers on the ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3130@crash.cts.com>, sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) writes:
> While Alcyon seems to work ( I got it with my developers kit in addition to
> MWC ), it lacks a source level debugger.  I couldn't live without Csd now.
> Csd seems to work very well.  The only bug I have encountered is that integers
> are displayed as if they were unsigned integers.  It has cut my debugging time
> in half.

    I have to agree with this comment.  Alcyon worked (with some problems)
so I tried MWC.  The first version I fought often with.  Version 2 I thought
was a breeze to use.  With the release of 3.0 and CSD, all I can say is WOW!!!
I found bugs in the first day I had been looking at for weeks.

    I did find one thing I think is a bug though, #line preprocessor
statements confuse it.

    As for some of the others, I tried Lattic (Slow as snails) and
anything that requires overlays on a 68000 system can forget it.  A lot
of the others I have not tried because either they were not around when I
was looking or there were horror stories about there use.

                --  Johnnie  --

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 88 13:20:49 GMT
From: mcvax!philmds!leo@uunet.uu.net  (Leo de Wit)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Just joking...

In article <6738@cup.portal.com> Alice_Helen_Amore@cup.portal.com writes:
>My monochrome developed the shakes when I moved my system, too.  I discovered
>that the display shook only when the refrigerator motor was cranking.  Move
                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>your system to an isolated outlet and see if that helps.
>Alice Amore

My hard disk drive uses a cooling fan, but you won't certainly get a
overheating problem 8-). Or maybe you're aiming for supra conduction ?

    Leo (Shake it, baby; Keep it cool, man.)

------------------------------

Date:     Sun, 26 Jun 88 02:59:55 PDT
From: SAVIN%CALSTATE.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU  (WHOO YA)
Subject:  how
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Subscribe
How do I subscribe to info-atari16 digest??

John Kawakami  Using a friend's account.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 88 02:56:46 GMT
From: att!chinet!saj@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Stephen Jacobs)
Subject: Turning off vertical blank interrupts
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

A while ago I asked what would happen if I set the interrupt level of an ST
high enough to disable the vertical blank interrupt.  The responses were
not unanymous, but I got the idea that there should be about a 5% speed
increase, against the possibility of crashing GEM.  I just tried it in a
computation-intensive GEM application.  The good news is no crash.  The bad
news is only maybe a 1% speed-up.  By the way: I tested that the vbl interrupt
was really disabled by flipping the switch that controls whether my Thomson
Ultrascan monitor is claiming to be color or mono: monitor change is detected
in the vbl routine.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 88 21:31:37 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!percival!actor@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Clif Swinford)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <335@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>Oh, and today I got a call from Sig Hartmann at Atari, <fill in today's
>title here> telling me that I'm "no longer allowed to make negative statements
>on USENET" and that he "is my sole contact for Atari related communications".

If this outrageous and illegal crap is true (giving you a chance to back
out of it, Sig!) then Atari, who have had my wholehearted support for
eight years now, have just lost it.

Keep in mind that you (Atari) have relied on word-of-mouth to sell your
ST's, and my mouth has been as wordy as any. But I and hundreds of others
will be spreading poison on your reputation (the poison you apply yourself)
if ANY action is taken against Mr. Beckemeyer or BDT.

In the United States we are guaranteed the freedom to express our opinions.
If the Government were to ask someone what you're asking Beckemeyer it would
be a Federal crime. As it is, it is deeply deplorable and scummy.

Yes, David is a pain in the ass. Tough. Everyone has critics, and those
critics have a right to hold and express opinions. Unless you can find
something illegal in his statements, I recommend that you shut up and
behave like adults.

--
     Clif Swinford
"This is not a dress rehearsal. It's a f***ing audition!"

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 88 09:40:13 GMT
From: marque!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  (Bill Daggett)
Subject: Re: disk drive data disaster, part 2
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

jsd@UMass.BITNET (Jonathan S. Drukman) writes:
>shout in a loud voice: "I'm going to take my drive to the store now for
>alignment.  Oops, looks like I won't make it in time." and slam it back
>down on the desk with a gentle yet firm touch.  It worked for me.

Probably something wasn't making a good connection and jaring the drive or
flexing the cable fixed it.  I plugged an external drive in once and it was
completely inop.  I disconnected the cable and reconnected it and it has
worked faithfully for over 1.5 years.  I never saw what might have caused
this.  It's a tough decision to take something apart that is brand new to make
sure something isn't just loose that you can fix real easily.

Bill

UUCP: ,ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque-!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

End of Info-Atari16 Digest
-------