[comp.sys.atari.st] Assembler

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (06/20/88)

Recently I looked for a good assembler package for the Atari ST but I couldn't
deceide which one I should buy.

Could any please give me some advise and maybe a little comparision what they
perform and cost ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

-Axel

What is now proved was once only imagined.
                             (William Blake - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell)

stevens@vms.macc.wisc.edu (PAul STevens-MACC) (06/21/88)

In article <1946@netmbx.UUCP>, fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes...

>Could any please give me some advise and maybe a little comparision
[ of assemblers ]

I have used the Metacomco assembler for a rather large project over the
last year.  I have discovered no bugs or 'features' to work around.
I have not given the linker any kind of workout as the 15 or so
individually assembled modules contain *no* entry point or external
references (to maintain position independence).

stevens@vms.macc.wisc.edu
stevens@wiscmacc.bitnet

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (06/25/88)

In article <1946@netmbx.UUCP>, fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
> Recently I looked for a good assembler package for the Atari ST but I couldn't
> deceide which one I should buy.
>
> Could any please give me some advise and maybe a little comparision what they
> perform and cost ?

	I would like to make a request for some information about the
assembler that is included with the MWC package.  I use MWC alot and would
like to try some assembly.  Is this much like the UNIX assembler.  Is there
a macro package like M4 available for it.  I have quite a bit of samplers
for a UNIX machine with a MC680X0 chip.  It has always helped me to be
able to look directly at samples while trying new stuff.  (Yes I realize
all hooks to the O.S. will be vastly different.  When all else fails
link in libc.a and use the standard functions.

					--  Johnnie  --

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (07/02/88)

In article <431@sp7040.UUCP> jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) writes:
>In article <1946@netmbx.UUCP>, fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
>> Recently I looked for a good assembler package for the Atari ST but I couldn't
>> deceide which one I should buy.
>>
>> Could any please give me some advise and maybe a little comparision what they
>> perform and cost ?
>>

>	I would like to make a request for some information about the
>assembler that is included with the MWC package.  I use MWC alot and would
>like to try some assembly.  Is this much like the UNIX assembler.  Is there
>a macro package like M4 available for it.

For the degree in which I need assembly the assembler that comes with the
GST-C compiler (anyone use that??!?) is quite satisfactory. It should be
possible to use macro's and the like with this assembler, but I have the
feeling that this somehow has been disabled (found those assembler
directives doing 'strings' on the program). I suppose because they (GST)
sell the macro assembler also as a separate product (b.t.w. has anyone
managed to 're-enable' macro's or is this not possible?).
As for a macro package, most decent assemblers have their own macro
handling stuff but M4 is a preprocessor, so if you want that
functionality, you could write your own preprocessor to handle stuff
(this is much easier than writing a general preprocessor which must be
aware of C syntax, quoting etc).

If you plan to buy a C compiler to have also an assembler, I wouldn't
recommend GST-C. When I bought it two years ago, it couldn't handle
floats and had only a poor subset of what a decent compiler should have.

        Leo.