[comp.sys.atari.st] Error in STDCAT, Fix and New features

bobs@moliman.MoliEnergy.BC.CA (Robert J Silliker) (07/05/88)

In article <409@laura.UUCP> klute@trillian.UUCP (Rainer Klute) writes:
>Recently a floppy disk cataloging system, STDCAT, was posted to
>comp.binaries.atari.st. It claims to be able to catalog
>floppies with a folder level up to 16. However, I failed in
>cataloging one of my floppies which has only 3 (three) folder
>levels. This disk has, however, *many*, *many* folders on the
>2nd level (I haven't counted them 'cause I can't count so far
>:-)).

I have reproduced the problem with a disk the has only 17 directories,
all at the root level on the disk.  The program is counting directories
and not directory levels.  So any disk with more than 16 directories
won't be loaded.  This is a bug and rather than change the
documentation :-) I have a patch for binary that will set the number
of directories on the disk to 1024.  However, if you
apply this patch and try to load a disk with more than 16 directory
levels the program will blow up (this effectively removes the check).

	OFFSET   CODE
	------   --------
OLD 	0x661A - 0c790011
NEW     0x661A - 0c790400

Just use your favorite binary file editor and change the 0011 (17) to
0400 (1024).  OFFSET is from the start of the file.

>I tried to reach the author by e-mail but failed so I post it
>here asking for a correction.

I am working on the mail problem.  It takes forever (literally) to
get a reply :-).

>P.S.: Another nice enhancement would be the possibility of
>      giving a comment to every single folder and file.

I am working on a new version with at least the following new features:

1) Folder limit bug fixed.
2) One comment per file or folder.
3) Next and Prev buttons on comment, volume and update
   dialogs to help speed up doing lots of comments, volume
   changes and updates.
4) Delete a disk from the catalog (with option to renumber).

If you have a new feature or a bug to be fixed in STDCAT V3.0 you
can try to e-mail me.

Bob S.

| Disclaimer:  The above opinions are my own and not those of Moli Energy. |
	  | Bob Silliker | bobs@moliman.molienergy.bc.ca       |
	  |              | ...uunet!van-bc!resrch!moliman!bobs |