[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disk auto folder problem

wawers@DMZRZU71.BITNET (07/02/88)

Hi folks,

Question : How do you prevent the auto folder programs
           from beeing executed ?

           OR

           How do you make your ST execute the floppy disk auto
           folder instead of the hard disk auto folder ?

I would be glad, if someone could answer one of these questions.

The specific problem: I have two programs in my hard disk auto folder,
                      which do not accept each other. After running the
                      second program 4 bombs do occur and that is it.
                      The programs do run properly for themselves.

                      Any attempts to avoid the execution of these
                      programs (pcommand and idle12) failed.

                                  Theo

Another BIT bites the dust.

WAWERS@DMZRZU71.BITNET

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (07/03/88)

	I have a Supra HD, and use their software. Under it, you can press
Alt-Shift-Control when you turn the computer on to avoid autobooting the HD,
allowing you to manipulate what's in the folder (delete or rename one or both
of the offending .PRGs). I'm not familiar with other HD software, so if you
don't use the Supra software (which I like), I can't help...

	Jason - Not your average iconoclast

alfred@dutesta.UUCP (Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser) (07/04/88)

Problems with conficting programs,accessories on your hard disk Theo:

Last weekend I got the same problem with a accessory. To remove this, or
rename it, press <alt><ctrl> during bootup (if you are using atari hdboot
prog). Now the computer will boot from floppy a, here you have a floppy which
contains `ahdi.prg` (NOT in the autofolder if possible), start it up (by hand)
wait until the desktop returns, then create a disk C icon, open it and do
whatever you want -> removing, renaming conflicting progs.
If a program in the autofolder doesn`t have `.prg` as extension it won`t
be executed.
I hope this answers your problem, and to all other people: forgive me posting
all around the world instead of mailing Theo the answer but maybe other
people could use this tip.

					    Herman.

/                                                                             \
| Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser: Computer fans especially from 24 pm to 7 am |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

mgr@pixar.UUCP (Michael Griffin Russell) (07/06/88)

Yes, life is rough when you've got a bomber in your auto file.
Catch 22.  Try this procedure:

	0) Turn off all power to both drive and computer.

	1) Open up the hard drive case by removing the obvious
		black hex screws.  Don't rip out the twisted pair
		going to the indicator LED.
	2) Change the drive select dip switch by flipping switch
		1 to the opposite position.  This will stop the ST
		from recognizing the drive.
	3) Leave the cover off, and bring up the power.  Allow boot
		from the floppy to proceed, and then flip the dip
		switch back to its original position.  Timing matters
		here - wait until you hear the floppy heads move.
	4) Install the hard drive, and remove the stuff in AUTO.

My understanding of the problem is that the SCSI controller needs to
be reset before it may be used, and this happens only at boot time.
you've got a klinker in the AUTO folder.  Maybe others will have
refinements on this technique.

As long as I'm here - I've got a related and very basic question.
I've got all my equipment powered from a single outlet strip, yet
simply powering everything up is not a reliable way to boot.  I
always wind up having to hit the reset button on the back of the
machine.  And my choices are either to insert a floppy into a
running, partially booted system, power on with the floppy inserted
(danger Will Robinson!!), or leave the active light staring at me
until after boot is completed.  Lets limit conversation on this
to three followup articles - thats what its worth

--
Mike Russell ucbvax!pixar!mgr	Trust in Allah, but
				tie your camel first.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (07/07/88)

In article <8807021540.AA22916@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> wawers@DMZRZU71.BITNET writes:
>Question : How do you prevent the auto folder programs
>           from beeing executed ?
>
>           OR
>
>           How do you make your ST execute the floppy disk auto
>           folder instead of the hard disk auto folder ?

Thisproblem was dealt with by an article in STart a year or so back.
They told you how to create a floppy that would always be booted from
even in systems where the normal booting is from the hard disk and
even if there was no procedure for forcing a boot from floppy.
I now have such a floppy (even though I don't need it because I can force
the floppy boot via Control-Shift_Alternate.

Don't exactly remember how it was done.

--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

mb@laura.UUCP (Matthias Bertram) (07/07/88)

In article <8807021540.AA22916@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> wawers@DMZRZU71.BITNET writes:
>Question : How do you prevent the auto folder programs
>           from beeing executed ?
>
>           OR
>
>           How do you make your ST execute the floppy disk auto
>           folder instead of the hard disk auto folder ?
>
>                                  Theo

Hi, out there,

all the replies I read by now are about the second part, I think something else
is much easier and more appropriate to Theo's specific problem.

I recently saw a program called 'Loader', which has to be the first program
in the auto-folder. It then shows you all programs in the autofolder and
asks you which programs to execute. Afterwards it does the same with all
accessories.

It works very simple as follows:
All programs selected to be executed are renamed to name.prg, the others
to name.tos.
As only *.prg files are executed in the auto-folder only the selected programs
are executed after exiting the loader.
With acessories it works the same way (renaming unselected accessories to
name.acx).

Unfortunately I don't know if this program is public domain, I can't access it
at the 'mo. But it shouldn't be a big problem to write it yourself.

Hope this helps you,

                            Matthias