[comp.sys.atari.st] GDOS Handles

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (07/06/88)

Date: 6 July 1988, 13:58:58 MES
From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A
      Linckensstrasse 113
      4400 Muenster
      Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
      Fachbereich Mathematik
To:   Info Atari16-Digest                            INFO-ATA at SCORE

Concerning Leo de Wit's program to read characters from screen:

PLEASE NEVER NEVER NEVER do VDI-calls with a zero-handle. Valid VDI
handles start at 1! Calling a VDI-function with zero-handle will result
in an error when working with Atari's brand new GDOS (AMCGDOS)!
What's true: the desktop WINDOW used by the AES has handle nr. 0. This
is very different from VDI-*DEVICE*-handles!!

Julian

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (07/07/88)

In article <8807061204.AA27467@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET writes:
>Date: 6 July 1988, 13:58:58 MES
>From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A
>Concerning Leo de Wit's program to read characters from screen:
>
>PLEASE NEVER NEVER NEVER do VDI-calls with a zero-handle. Valid VDI
>handles start at 1! Calling a VDI-function with zero-handle will result
>in an error when working with Atari's brand new GDOS (AMCGDOS)!

You're right; the graf_handle() function can be used to get the desktop's
handle.

B.T.W. I was a bit puzzled, because the VDI call has nothing to do with
the program; it was merely a remark about getting the cursor position.
The program source followed in the same posting, but doesn't even use
VDI or AES (only a Line-A exception is used to get the font
parameters). It should be correct as it stands.

         Leo.