[comp.sys.atari.st] Jos Vermaseren - Posting GEMDOS ...

U0179@DGOGWDG5.BITNET ("GWDGV1::WHUEBNER") (06/21/88)

- Posting GEMDOS improvements - you asked ...

>2: a book that was recently published in Germany with a discompilation of
>   of GEMDOS. This last thing seems to be fully illegal to me. Is one really
>   allowed to do this?

As one of the three authors (part AHDI) of the book "Das TOS-Listing -
BIOS/GEMDOS/VDI (Kramer,Riebl,Huebner) I have to answer your question
with    Y E A H .

We are really allowed to publish this book with a written permission
of ATARI-Deutschland.

Best regards

PS. Sorry about the late response, I am new on this NET and it takes
    some time to step through old reviews,
    by the way, I am also very interested in testing your JAMDOS, too.

| BITNET:  U0179 at DG0GWDG5 (W.Huebner)     |
| VAXMAIL: PSI%45551032808::GWDGV1::WHUEBNER |
| West Germany                               |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| All opinions are my own, and not necessarily always correct ... |
| You know  >>> NOBODY IS PERFECT <<<                             |

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (06/27/88)

In article <8806211323.AA02010@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U0179@DGOGWDG5.BITNET ("GWDGV1::WHUEBNER") writes:
>>2: a book that was recently published in Germany with a discompilation of
>>   of GEMDOS. This last thing seems to be fully illegal to me. Is one really
>>   allowed to do this?
>As one of the three authors (part AHDI) of the book "Das TOS-Listing -
>BIOS/GEMDOS/VDI (Kramer,Riebl,Huebner) I have to answer your question
>with    Y E A H .
>We are really allowed to publish this book with a written permission
>of ATARI-Deutschland.

All under the assumption that Atari Germany is actually the copyright
holder for GEMDOS and VDI (which Atari Germany is NOT as far as I know,
but this is naturally for DRI and Atari to fight out.......).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (06/29/88)

In article <343@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:
]
]
] In article <8806211323.AA02010@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U0179@DGOGWDG5.BITNET ("GWDGV1::WHUEBNER") writes:
] ....
] >>2: a book that was recently published in Germany with a discompilation of
] >>   of GEMDOS. This last thing seems to be fully illegal to me. Is one really
] >>   allowed to do this?
] ....
] >As one of the three authors (part AHDI) of the book "Das TOS-Listing -
] >BIOS/GEMDOS/VDI (Kramer,Riebl,Huebner) I have to answer your question
] >with    Y E A H .
] ....
] >We are really allowed to publish this book with a written permission
] >of ATARI-Deutschland.
]
] All under the assumption that Atari Germany is actually the copyright
] holder for GEMDOS and VDI (which Atari Germany is NOT as far as I know,
] but this is naturally for DRI and Atari to fight out.......).
] --
] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
] UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
] BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A
] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, there was a recent posting to the effect that it is illegal in the
US to prohibit disassembly of code sold or licensed if the disassembly was for
the purpose of using the software (do you do anything that is totally useless?)
-- a reasonable extrapolation is that it would also be legal to sell a copy of
the disassembly to someone who wanted to use the disassembled software -- though
I'm not sure about how reasonable a bunch of lawyers would be!  [I am refering
to the Quaid Software case.]  In that case, Atari and DRI have no say on the
issue.  As a corrilary, many years ago a company published a disassembly of the
TRS-80 ROMs, printing only text (no hex codes) so as to avoid "translating" the
contents of the copyrighted ROMs -- neither Microsoft nor Tandy did anything
about it, so there is some precident (again in the USA -- German law may be
quite different).

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/06/88)

In article <4640@killer.UUCP> chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) writes:
>-- a reasonable extrapolation is that it would also be legal to sell a copy of
>the disassembly to someone who wanted to use the disassembled software -- though
>I'm not sure about how reasonable a bunch of lawyers would be!  [I am refering

How different is this from someone making a copy of a commercial program,
then selling the copy ?

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Un*x is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
carefully.

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (07/07/88)

In article <4186@cbmvax.UUCP>, andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
> In article <4640@killer.UUCP> chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) writes:
> >-- a reasonable extrapolation is that it would also be legal to sell a copy of
> >the disassembly to someone who wanted to use the disassembled software -- though
> >I'm not sure about how reasonable a bunch of lawyers would be!  [I am refering
>
> How different is this from someone making a copy of a commercial program,
> then selling the copy ?
>
> --
> andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
> Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Actually, I am not really sure it is any different at all.  Is it any different
from someone writing a "new" program and selling copies of it -- since any
salable program has to be a lot like other, previously sold, programs or no
one will have any idea what it is for.  The whole point of copyright is to
give away as much of the store as possible, and still keep the storekeeper
from starting a revolution (I don't know who said that, but it is pretty
accurate!).  And if anyone thinks the whole copyright schtick makes any sense
at all, compare the recent rulings in Canada and Louisiana.  I believe no
rational individual can agree with both!

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP

P.S.  It is a lot of fun to watch though!
> "Un*x is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
> carefully.
>
> Any expressed opinions are mine; but feel free to share.
> I disclaim all responsibilities, all shapes, all sizes, all colors.

exodus@mfgfoc.UUCP (Greg Onufer) (07/08/88)

SIMPLE, LEGAL (?) Solution:

Write a program to output the assembly (with labels, comments, etc)
but using the contents of the ROM to produce the actual assembler
code.  Everybody who bought an ST has the ROMs (maybe a few people
still loading from disk?).... their ROMs plus labels and comments
doesn't constitute a crime, does it?

Package: disassembler
	 comment-field files for each ROM version
	 symbol table/label info for each ROM version.

Requires some work, eh?

--Greg
--
Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:						-= Focus Semiconductor =-

tom@Mills.berkeley.edu (tom erbe) (07/08/88)

Greg Onufer writes:

"Write a program to output the assembly (with labels, comments, etc)
"but using the contents of the ROM to produce the actual assembler
"code.  Everybody who bought an ST has the ROMs (maybe a few people
"still loading from disk?).... their ROMs plus labels and comments
"doesn't constitute a crime, does it?

But when one uses this program, one is copying the ROMs.  Does the software
license from Atari (is there one?) governing the system software allow
making copies for one's personal use?  If it does, then this program should
be legal.  If not, well, forget it.

Tom Erbe-Technical Director-Center for Contemporary Music-Mills College
         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jiff.berkeley.edu

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (07/08/88)

In article <11767@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> tom@Mills.UUCP (tom erbe) writes:
>Greg Onufer writes:
>
>"Write a program to output the assembly (with labels, comments, etc)
>"but using the contents of the ROM to produce the actual assembler
>"code.  Everybody who bought an ST has the ROMs (maybe a few people
>"still loading from disk?).... their ROMs plus labels and comments
>"doesn't constitute a crime, does it?
>
>But when one uses this program, one is copying the ROMs.  Does the software
>license from Atari (is there one?) governing the system software allow
>making copies for one's personal use?  If it does, then this program should
>be legal.  If not, well, forget it.

I'm not a lawer, and I don't even play one on tv :^).

However, there was a program which performed exactly this process on the
CP/M operating system a few years ago. You pruchased the program, and ran
it on your operating version of CP/M. It wrote an assembly source file
which, when re-assembled, would re-create the configuration you were
running at the time. Of course, it didn't include dis-assembly of the
custom part of the BIOS (for you old hackers who remember writing CP/M BIOS
drivers. De-blocking sure was fun, wasn't it?).

The package, as purchased, included a dis-assembly comment file, and a
driving program which read the code present in the machine. It added
the text from the comment file to the code generated from dis-assembling
the operating system to provide the assembly source file.

This program, while not sold by Digital Research, was on the market for
a couple of years. I don't know if Digital Research ever went after the
authors of the program, but it seemed to eventually fade away from lack
of sales, after the first initial onslaught.

In any event, such a task for the ST ROM's would be a major investment in time
and effort. And, by the time it was completed, the new ROMs would be available,
right :^) ?

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (07/09/88)

In article <11767@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, tom@Mills.berkeley.edu (tom erbe) writes:
> Greg Onufer writes:
> [What he wrote... Having a program written to disassemble the ROMs with ]
> [comments, etc.                                                         ]
> "doesn't constitute a crime, does it?
>
> But when one uses this program, one is copying the ROMs.  Does the software
> license from Atari (is there one?) governing the system software allow
> making copies for one's personal use?  If it does, then this program should
> be legal.  If not, well, forget it.
>
> Tom Erbe-Technical Director-Center for Contemporary Music-Mills College

	I would seem that you bought the computer, with the ROMs, for your
personal use. Now, if you were to distribute the disassembly, you'd be out
of the arena of personal use, so that seems to be out entirely. However, you
bought the ROMs and therefore can do with them as you please (within the scope
of your personal use).

	I'm not a lawyer (nor am I studying to be one). This is just an
opinion.

--

	Jason - Not your average iconoclast

Well there is a precedent for this sort of stuff. There was (and is) a company
that sold a program and datafile that when run on a CP/M-80 V2.2 system would
produce a commented assembly language version of the CCP and the BDOS. It
did this by matching the comments to the disassembly while keeping track of
such things as entry points and such which were at known places. I heard from
a source I trust that DRI tried to stop him but couldn't. I do know you can
still buy this program.

--Chuck McManis

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/09/88)

In article <11767@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, tom@Mills.berkeley.edu (tom erbe) writes:
> But when one uses this program, one is copying the ROMs.  Does the software
> license from Atari (is there one?) governing the system software allow
> making copies for one's personal use?

Doesn't matter if Atari's license does or not, the copyright law (in the
U.S., at least) does.  You're not allowed to give away the copies, but
you are allowed to copy the software yourself for backup purposes.  You
are also allowed to modify the software for your own personal use.
Distributing your changed software is not allowed, as this is a
`derivative work.'  If you have a program that makes the changes to the
software (like a `wedge', or a device driver) you can distribute THAT.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for