[comp.sys.atari.st] Metacomco make under gulam

cpm@datlog.co.uk (Paul Merriman) (07/04/88)

	Hi,
		Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having using the
Metacomco 'make' utility supplied with Lattice C V3.04 ( I think the 'make'
version is 2.16 ).
	I'm currently trying to port Nethack v2.2 to the atari ST and was
hoping to use MCC make under gulam to remove most of the drudgery. My
problem is that the make utility appears to have problems loading LC1.TTP
(first pass of the Lattice compilier) whilst running under gulam but
has no trouble if its run from the desk top.

	It usually fails with an error 36 or 39 - The documentation says
these are TOS errors although I haven't been able to track them down yet.

	I'm running all this on a 520stfm with two 1meg disk drives (I
upgraded the internal one), with gulam,lcc,make etc in drive A and the
sources and the makefile in drive B. I also occasionally use a ram disk
(drive D) of 100k - but I've tried it without so I don't think its lack
of memory.

	What I really wan't to know is , what do the error messages mean ?
(and where can I find a complete list) and has anyone else had problems
or success using the MCC make ?

	Alternatively, could anyone suggest a better make - preferably cheap
or PD - perhaps even a posting ? The only requirement is that it should run
under gulam with the sort of configuration I've outlined above.

	Thanks in advance for any help,

					Paul.

  ____   ____  __    __
 |      |    | | \  / |
 |      |____| |  \/  |
 |____  |      |      |     I am a free man..."

7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (07/09/88)

In article <811@dlhpedg.co.uk>, cpm@datlog.co.uk (Paul Merriman) writes:
> 	Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having using the
> Metacomco 'make' utility supplied with Lattice C V3.04 ( I think the 'make'
> version is 2.16 ).
> 	I'm currently trying to port Nethack v2.2 to the atari ST and was
> hoping to use MCC make under gulam to remove most of the drudgery. My
> problem is that the make utility appears to have problems loading LC1.TTP
> (first pass of the Lattice compilier) whilst running under gulam but
> has no trouble if its run from the desk top.
>
> 	It usually fails with an error 36 or 39 - The documentation says
> these are TOS errors although I haven't been able to track them down yet.
>
> 	I'm running all this on a 520stfm with two 1meg disk drives (I
> upgraded the internal one), with gulam,lcc,make etc in drive A and the
> sources and the makefile in drive B. I also occasionally use a ram disk
> (drive D) of 100k - but I've tried it without so I don't think its lack
> of memory.
>
> 	What I really wan't to know is , what do the error messages mean ?
> (and where can I find a complete list) and has anyone else had problems
> or success using the MCC make ?
>
> 	Alternatively, could anyone suggest a better make - preferably cheap
> or PD - perhaps even a posting ? The only requirement is that it should run
> under gulam with the sort of configuration I've outlined above.
>
> 	Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> 					Paul.
Paul:
   There is a public domain make that you might try using (it's probably in
the archives), but I doubt it would help. Tos error 39 is "out of memory",
so I suspect that is, indeed, your problem. Gulam could easily be using
more memory than your 100K ramdisk.
   In fact, I'm surprised you're having any luck at all. Have you actually
managed to compile NetHack on your machine? I've been trying to port
NetHack 2.3, using Laser C, and it takes me 2 double-sided floppies (for
source and object), an 800K ramdisk (for compiler, temp files, and final
output) and 800K of free ram. The final executable runs to ~400K. When
I have a completed and debugged version, I'll post it to
comp.binaries.atari.st.  (Assuming it hasn't been posted already.)
       --Eric
PS: I know there'll be a lot of people out there who will want hack soonest,
but *please* wait for the posting; I have to share this account with the
rest of my department, and we can't handle large volumes of mail. Nor,
unfortunately, will our account let us keep 1 Meg of sources around, so
I can't mail them (sorry!).

Eric Smith                  <-- make sure my name is prominently displayed
Dept. of Mathematics            in any mail to me, so that the secretaries
University of Western Ontario   know who it belongs to!
London, Ontario, Canada
N6A 5B7 ph. (519)661 3638
Reply to:   MATHDEPT@UWO.CA  (formerly UWO.CDN)
            7103_300@uwovax.UWO.CA  (formerly UWO.CDN)
            7103_300@uwovax.BITNET

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/11/88)

In article <811@dlhpedg.co.uk> cpm@.co.uk (Paul Merriman) writes:

>	Hi,
>		Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having using the
>Metacomco 'make' utility supplied with Lattice C V3.04 ( I think the 'make'
>version is 2.16 ).
>	I'm currently trying to port Nethack v2.2 to the atari ST and was
>hoping to use MCC make under gulam to remove most of the drudgery. My
>problem is that the make utility appears to have problems loading LC1.TTP
>(first pass of the Lattice compilier) whilst running under gulam but
>has no trouble if its run from the desk top.
>
>	It usually fails with an error 36 or 39 - The documentation says
>these are TOS errors although I haven't been able to track them down yet.

I've used the Lattice C Make Utility under Gulam for almost 1/2 a year and
it's a fine utility. No need to take a PD one.
I've occured the same error like you when I first installed Lattice C under
Gulam.
The problem is, that make did not find the pathes correctly.
You must install the Compiler as followes to work correctly :
lc.ttp, lc1.ttp, tc2.ttp    have to be in a commands dir. Than you compile
			    with -gPATHNAME where they can be found
lc11.ttp		    HAVE TO BE IN THE CURRENT WORKING DIRECTORY !!!!!!!

If not, make or lc.ttp are unable to find Pass 1.
I really don't know why, but I have found it and now it works correct.

Hope that helps you !

-Axel

-----
Domain: fischer@netmbx.UUCP                  | What is now proved
Europe: ...!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer  |      was once only imagined.
USA:    ...!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer    | (William Blake - The Marriage
                                             |             of Heaven and Hell)
-----

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (07/14/88)

Sorry for the posting, but mail wouldn't go through

stc!@helios.ee.lbl.gov writes:
>	It usually fails with an error 36 or 39 - The documentation says
>these are TOS errors although I haven't been able to track them down yet.

Error 39 is "out-of-memory".   It is possible that on a 520 you really are
running out of memory.   Gulam probably uses quite a bit, then the make
program uses some more and there's not enough left over for the compile,
especially with a RAM disk installed.

Error 36 is "access not possible"   I don't know what this means exactly
but I think it can happen when TOS is confused, as when it's running low
on memory.

The GEMDOS errors are listed in several places:

	1) Atari GEMDOS manual (with $300 dev. kit)
	2) Book "Atari ST Internals" (around $20)
	3) Most good C compiler docs, inc. MWC and Megamax C.
	4) Probably other ST programming books

I hope this info helps some.

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if