[comp.sys.atari.st] problems with hinstall-->> USE HDB

gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) (07/19/88)

In article <561@philmds.UUCP> leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
>I'm having trouble running the hard disk driver installation program,
>hinstall.prg. After selecting Install from the menu-bar and clicking
>on Yes (Do you really want to etc...) the program bombs (bus error).
>I've retried after disabling all AUTO *.prg's (except for AHDI.PRG)
>and all accessories, but the problem remains (so it shouldn't be
>my fault 8-).  ARC.TTP says that all files in the archive are ok.

I use hdb version 2.3 with no problems at all. In my opinion this is a better
program than atari's hinstall because you can make any partition on the disk
bootable, not just the C partition. Like hinstall you can disable harddisk
booting by holding down shift control and alternate. Furthermore hdb can be
deinstalled quite easily. The only required is a copy of ahdi.prg in the root
directory of the disk you wish to boot from (hbd installs a 'read only' disk
driver on the bootsector of the boot volume which reads the "real" ahdi ).

If you want I can upload it to the net; I've thrown away the docs, since
installing is dead easy.

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet