[comp.sys.atari.st] Medium Change Bug - Mega

gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) (07/18/88)

 I have a Mega St 2 under warranty.  How do I check for the disk drive
 "medium change bug"?

Gregory Gibson
gibson@trwrb.UUCP
--
Gregory Gibson
{...ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!gibson

frankg@nikhefk.UUCP (Frank Geerling) (07/20/88)

In article <7133@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:

> I have a Mega St 2 under warranty.  How do I check for the disk drive
> "medium change bug"?
>
>Gregory Gibson
>gibson@trwrb.UUCP
>--
>Gregory Gibson
>{...ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!gibson

n := 0;
REPEAT
	Change floppy and hit the escape key ;
	n := n + 1;
UNTIL n > 10;

			   Frank Geerling
			(frankg@nikhefk.uucp)

Usenet:		{seismo, philabs, decvax}!mcvax!frankg@nikhefk

Normal mail:	Frank Geerling
		NIKHEF-K (PIMU)
		Postbus 4395
		1009 AJ Amsterdam
		The Netherlands

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (07/21/88)

In article <7133@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:

> I have a Mega St 2 under warranty.  How do I check for the disk drive
> "medium change bug"?

Take a WRITE-ENABLED disk (one with the little window closed).  Put it into
the disk drive, and open a directory window on it.  Then, remove it and
put it back in, and hit the ESCape key to force a window update.  Watch the
disk light when you hit ESCape.  If the light comes on, and the disk spins
(which you might be able to hear) then you are OK.  If the light does not
come on, you've got the bug.

Or, use two WRITE ENABLED disks:  Put one in and open the window.  Swap them
and hit ESCape, and see if the window changes to reflect the contents of the
new disk.  If the window doesn't change, you've got the bug.

The bug DOES NOT show up with WRITE PROTECTED disks, so you've got to test
using WRITE ENABLED ones.

Since there may be timing issues involved, I'd suggest doing the test about
half dozen times, and if it fails on any single try, I'd assume the drive
needs modified.  Do note also that it is important that you leave the
directory window open on your secreen and force the update with ESCape.
GEM appears to ALWAYS spin the disk if you close the dir window and reopen it.