[comp.sys.atari.st] News blurb on Computer Chronicles

powers@devcim.dec.com (Bill Powers HLO1-1/T05 DTN 225-7094) (07/20/88)

*Warning* Atari bashing ahead

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
> Subject: Re: Idris??
>

> ----
> i just say a news blurb on the PBS tv show "computer chronicles" saying
> (can u guess???) atari has delayed it's [fabled] transputer and unix
> box...
>
> BTW: has atari ever shipped any CD thingies yet?
>
> -bill

   Gee anybody who has been involved with the ST probably could have
told you that was gonna happen.  Doesn't it make you wonder how they
ever managed to design build and ship the original ST in the short
time that they supposedly did!  ;^)
   I know I can't wait to replace the OS with minix, and forget about
atari and all their blowing off at the mouth.  If you need convincing
that atari doesn't support the machine, go read the preliminary review
done by Byte magazine of the 1040.  I believe it was the March issue
of 1986.  Especially note the interview with their engineer Shirav
Shivji (sp??), and all the stuff they were gonna have that has never
shown it's face.  I bought my machine based on that article, instead
of an Amiga, and it is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

Bill Powers

#include disclaimer.h
/*******************************************************************************
* If you had a VAXstation II/GPX, you would be able to see the incredible 3d   *
* graphics I've inserted at this point, but you don't, so you can't!!!         *
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* all flames to NL: not /dev/null since I use a real OS not a toy OS like UNIX *
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* The opinions expressed herein are mine, and not DEC'S, but they can be made  *
* yours if you send $19.95 plus $2.50 S&H to POWERS%DEVCIM.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM  *
*******************************************************************************/

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (07/22/88)

In article <8807191916.AA09230@decwrl.dec.com>, powers@devcim.dec.com (Bill Powers HLO1-1/T05 DTN 225-7094) writes:

> *Warning* Atari bashing ahead

Could not do any harm.

> > Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
> > Subject: Re: Idris??
                 ^^^^^^^

> > i just say a news blurb on the PBS tv show "computer chronicles" saying
> > (can u guess???) atari has delayed it's [fabled] transputer and unix
> > box...
> >
> > BTW: has atari ever shipped any CD thingies yet?
> >
> > -bill
>
>    I know I can't wait to replace the OS with minix, and forget about
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [deleted]
> Bill Powers

I have been sitting here reading this news group and have come to realize
that a lot of people have the perception that the IDRIS has something to do
with Atari.  IDRIS's only connection to Atari, is that it runs on the Atari
ST/MEGA hardware as well as others.  IDRIS is *not* a product of Atari, and
CTI and Whitesmiths *have* *never* *had* any agreements with Atari regarding
their products.  WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE PRODUCT READY AND TESTED BEFORE MAKEING
ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS.

In dealing with Atari, I tend to believe that all complaints against them are
true.  I am not trying to defend Atari, and certainly not on the issue of the
CD ROMS; I am asking people to know their facts before they put such general
statements on the net.  And please keep our product name out of the discussion
on ``Atari none-performance''.

On the issue of MINIX-ST, please note that according to the author,  *P/H will
not release it until September 1988*.  IDRIS has be available for the ST since
Jan 1987.  Although you will get the sources with the MINIX-ST product, you
will be very hard pressed to equal the performance/features of IDRIS-ST, and
of STX-Windows (our X port to IDRIS-ST).

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst