[comp.sys.atari.st] need a fast

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (07/15/88)

I need recommendations for a fast vt100 emulator on the st.
It has to be able to keep up with data coming in at 9600 baud.

I have tried AnsiTerm, and Flash so far, and they seem to be
around 2400 Baud.

I believe the problem is the screen update rate. These programs will
allow you to talk to the port at 9600 (Even 19200), but the time they
take to write to the screen slows them down to about 2400.

So anyone out there know of one??

	Thanks.

PS I am not affiliated at all with the atari that builds the ST.
Atari Games is THE ORIGINAL Atari! COIN-OP division! :-)
--
Jim Morris.		        weitek!dms!morris or pyramid!dms!morris
Atari games Corporation, Milpitas CA. (Arcade Video Game Manufacturer).

In article <453@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>I need recommendations for a fast vt100 emulator on the st.
>It has to be able to keep up with data coming in at 9600 baud.
>
>I have tried AnsiTerm, and Flash so far, and they seem to be
>around 2400 Baud.
>
>I believe the problem is the screen update rate. These programs will
>allow you to talk to the port at 9600 (Even 19200), but the time they
>take to write to the screen slows them down to about 2400.

>PS I am not affiliated at all with the atari that builds the ST.
>Atari Games is THE ORIGINAL Atari! COIN-OP division! :-)
>--
>Jim Morris.		        weitek!dms!morris or pyramid!dms!morris
>Atari games Corporation, Milpitas CA. (Arcade Video Game Manufacturer).

Get Uniterm. It is, without a doubt, the best communications program
available for any computer anywhere at any price, and it's free. It'll
do vt220 at 9600bps, no sweat, no XOFFs, no problem. In addition to all
the file transfer protocols, you get the most comprehensive suite of
terminal emulations I've ever seen. The macro processor is pretty slick,
with some very nice functions. I can't say enough good things about this
program. I love it. It's so convenient to use, and does so much, so well.

By the way, the author, Simon Poole, is "around" on the net, and can
probably be reached directly if you have any specific questions. I
s'pose I could disclaim any relation to Simon or Uniterm, other than
that of enthusiastic user, but it doesn't really matter since it's not
a commercial product being distributed for any fees. Anyway... Get it.
Nothing else is even worth considering.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

rosenkra@Alliant.COM (Bill Rosenkranz) (07/16/88)

---
try uniterm. i use it to kermit between an ST and ibm (clone) PC with 1 kB
packets at 19.2 kbaud with no problems whatsoever. i don't know if can handle
sustained 9600 (or higher) transmissions, though.

-bill

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/20/88)

In article <453@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:

>I need recommendations for a fast vt100 emulator on the st.
>It has to be able to keep up with data coming in at 9600 baud.
>
>I have tried AnsiTerm, and Flash so far, and they seem to be
>around 2400 Baud.
>
>I believe the problem is the screen update rate. These programs will
>allow you to talk to the port at 9600 (Even 19200), but the time they
>take to write to the screen slows them down to about 2400.
>
>So anyone out there know of one??
>
>	Thanks.

PC/InterComm will do the job ! It's a very nice program and it works superb.
A friend of me has it run on his ST as a system console at 9600 bps for his
UNIX system.
He has never has any problems with it.

-Axel

-----
Domain: fischer@netmbx.UUCP                  | What is now proved
Europe: ...!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer  |      was once only imagined.
USA:    ...!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer    | (William Blake - The Marriage
-----

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/29/88)

In article <453@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:

>I need recommendations for a fast vt100 emulator on the st.
>It has to be able to keep up with data coming in at 9600 baud.
>I have tried AnsiTerm, and Flash so far, and they seem to be
>around 2400 Baud.
>I believe the problem is the screen update rate. These programs will
>allow you to talk to the port at 9600 (Even 19200), but the time they
>take to write to the screen slows them down to about 2400.

Most likely the screen speed isn't the problem.  If you have XON/XOFF
turned on, your speed problems are due to the small RS232 input buffer
in the ST.  If you don't have XON/XOFF turned on, Flash will drop
characters at 9600, and probably at 4800 if your computer can really
send 4800 baud.

The solution is to stick a program in the auto folder that replaces the
I/O buffers with larger buffers.  I wrote a quick little vt52 emulator
(the arrow keys work, and keypad mode almost works), and set the buffers
at 8K each.  The program runs just fine at 19200 - screen I/O is not a
problem.  If you want such an auto-folder program, let me know.  I can
send you source (in MWC), or an executable.

Still, the best solution to your problem I can think of is to get
UniTerm.  This is the program I use now, and it is really good.  You can
get it from the server at Lakesys, I think.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for